Yet another endless build for me. This time on the Caprice.

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
lastcall190

Re: Yet another endless build for me. This time on the Caprice.

Post by lastcall190 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:38 pm

Looks good, interested to see the fully lit picture with the fogs and LED lights. My front bumper besides the slots for the push part is in reasonably fair shape, and those lights look like a nice way to functionally take care of the openings.

-J
2012 Caprice
!DOD : LS9 Cam : Pat G : Magnaflow : VCM

2008 CVPI
168k and going strong

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Given the speed of this project, 'fully-lit' may take a while. The LEDs did fill the slots perfectly. They completely cover the holds. I did have to drill the holes for the screws, but that's it. All the holes are now sealed off.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1996 BBB Impala SS (11-second DD)
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Per some information I got from the Tahoe/Yukon forum, I replaced the painted/rusting center cap bolts with stainless. I ordered enough to replace all of them on both vehicles. Since the Caprice was in the shop, I replaced the bolts on it already. Happy not to have to worry about repainting them anytime soon.

I ordered M8X20 A2 Hex Flange Bolts from Fastenal, P/N 11508907
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:52 pm

As mentioned in another thread, we autocrossed the Caprice this last weekend. We've had so much rain this winter, the path to and from the shop where the race car and rig are stored is nearly impossible to get out. That, and the forecasted wet weather, which isn't good for slicks, so a road car was chosen to drive, as long as the rain wasn't too bad.

We've autocrossed it before, and it's fun to drive, especially with the coil-overs, sway bars and wider tires. It didn't fail to please again. It was foggy and wet, and was misting when we ran, so it got pretty dirty:

But the main reason for posting in this thread was to note that this is the first time we'd had the car on the highway since the exhaust system install. I wanted to note that while I could tell when the car went into 4-cyl mode, any annoying noises from the exhaust was minimal. Certainly not as sweet and smooth as that V8 sound, but I think I can live with it, even on long drives. I think I had the mufflers set to quiet mode, and didn't mess with them either on the road or at the event. The sound was acceptable and any drone was minimal.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?