Registration settings change

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Registration settings change

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks,

Well, despite our best efforts the spammers seem to love getting into the system. The normal way to keep them out (detailed registration Q&A) has been falling short here lately it seems.

So, to temporarily address this issue I've made an executive decision to require manual (hand) validation of all new users in the short term. Whether we acquire a new validation module or take other measures to combat these pests I haven't decided yet. I've stopped several spammers in the last few days before they get through the gates, but the odd one validates and is able to do a few posts before we catch him/her.

Anyway, we're working on the problem. It's more work for me to do the manual new user validation, however I'd rather be safe then sorry. We'll see what form the new security measures end up evolving into. The board (with the exception of the Lounge discussion area) is forward-facing to the 'net for reads, so we're not cutting anyone off to the information here. Only new user registration & posting is impacted by this change.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
TXPPV

Re: Registration settings change

Post by TXPPV »

Active. Don't delete me...
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I'm not a bot! Of course a bot would probably say that! Ahhh shoot. :lol:
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

No worries TXPPV, you've posted before so you're not on the list. Only people that have not made post #1 show up.

And yeah, bots have said a number of interesting things. One of the most memorable went something like this.... "hi my CAPRICE makes frequent trips to the bathroom at night and this one weird trick cured it! Get the cure here!" (insert URL of your choice here).

I think I'll pass on that one :D
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

elc32955 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:31 am "hi my CAPRICE makes frequent trips to the bathroom at night and this one weird trick cured it! Get the cure here!" (insert URL of your choice here).
That's not funny at all! My Caprice does the same thing. It drives me crazy. I swear that thing has a bladder the size of a walnut. I wish you had posted the real link. I'd love to know the cure.
;) ;)