Donations module is now operational!

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Donations module is now operational!

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks,

As discussed in the last thread in this section, I have activated the donations module in order to provide for the amount recently expended to keep the forum system running & on-the-air. The donation section is reached at the top of the forum section page, it's in the menu bar between the "FAQ" and the "mchat" buttons. The only items that this donation round will fund are the costs recently incurred for the services of the phpBB developer and the just-completed bi-annual renewal for the system's DNS.

We had previously reached out to the membership in an attempt to obtain services of a technically astute individual who would be interested in contributing some personal time and IT skills to the success and continuation of the New Caprice system, unfortunately to no avail. Thus, we were required to engage the services of a paid phpBB developer. The DNS renewals are required to maintain the forums & the website in operational status. Essentally, DNS is our "address" on the Internet, this service is provide via a paid registrar. A number of years back we were using Network Solutions as the DNS provider, however due to a dramatic price hike we changed over to NameSilo and have received good, cost-effective service since.

We will never request funding in advance of any maintenance or service activities except in extraordinary circumstances, and we only seek the amount we have incurred in the maintenance of the system, nothing further.

In the over ten years operating this is the first time we have reached out to the membership for donations to support the system. Thank you for your continuing support of New Caprice and your participation. I hope you find the service we provide of value to you.

Eric
System Manager
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Donations module is now operational!

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to tell you today that we have achieved our goal for covering the recent expense items incurred in support of the New Caprice forum system's mandatory upgrade activities. We're now prepared to enter into Part 2 of our system upgrades (fixing bad extension modules & cleanup tasks) around the end of February.

I wish that I could acknowledge each donor's individual contribution publicly by name & amount, however this is the Internet and our forums are constantly scanned for new content by multiple search engines. In the interest of protecting the privacy of the donors from possible off-line solicitations (yes, in 2023 people still do that!), I'll be sending thank you's separately to each individual donor.

The users on this forum system are unique and special in the devotion to their cars and their generosity. It's been my pleasure for over the last ten years to keep everyone generally pointed in the right direction and to insure we have a quality, advertising free system at our disposal. Completing these upgrades will insure we have a robust, viable system for the foreseeable future. Thank you, ever so much for participating in this endeavor.

I'll leave the donations module active for the next few days before I disable to accumulate a bit more run time on it. This is to insure proper operation over a longer time period.

Thanks again!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Donated. Will hesitantly do so again considering PayPal is such a piece of shit globohomo censoring "merchant" company.

Would be great if an alternative to Paypal were available.
2016 Caprice
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Catch-22 here. There is an update to the donations extension module available (we are using the very first one that was brought out, easy to operate and it spans multiple versions of phpBB). The issue is... we have to get the rest of the existing extensions operating first before we can add on anything more to the system. The Announcements module for example is very simple - yet it crashed us when the update was enabled. Right now what we have is stable, but if we rock the boat.... well all bets are off at that point! Around the end of February or first part of March we'll work on the extensions again.

I'll see what I can do when we get to the time to crank in the latest updates on this extension. Hopefully it will have a payment venue selectable... And thank you very much for your donation!!

Thanks
Eric