System updates

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: System updates

Post by elc32955 »

8/26/2013 - Update #15

Our web host EMAIL'ed me and advised that he's had a bug in the control software fixed. Also, the server move that I spoke of in the last post is very close at hand, probably sometime within the next 48 hours. We'll be watching the system carefully over the next several days. There will be a period of downtime while I point the DNS to the new IP for the site, hopefully we will minimize that as much as possible.

I'll keep up updated as I get more info.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

1/6/2014 - Update #16

Just as a minor FYI for everyone, I'm in the process of working on the site a little and making a few minor changes, these will be pretty much be all non-visible to the users.

In view of future expansion and to lock in a good domain name that has just expired from another provider, I've purchased the domain name "WWW.CAPRICEPPV.COM". This currently forwards into the main New Caprice home page. Long term this gives me more capability to diversify web services into two domains should the future need arise. For instance, I could make the new domain a multi-media site for pictures & videos and keep streaming traffic off the forum pages. Or, I could open up an on-line dealership for PPV upgrade parts and used PPV's on consignment.... GRIN! Anyway, it's in the portfolio for use as needed.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

2/28/2014 - Update #17

Well, the server move I spoke of in the post before last has finally occurred. If anyone spots any glitches please let me know via message, email, text, phone, carrier pidgeon, etc....

This server should be much faster without the lag.

Thanks
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

3/1/2014 - Update #17A

Related to my last update.... we had some down time today (to my knowledge the first extended downtime since we've been in-service!) that was related to the recent server swap. The PHP handler (internal workings of the server system) decided not to play well with others and had to be beat down and coerced into working correctly. This was done by the data center staff and all was good again around 2:30 PM or so.

Many thanks to Robert (NyteTyme) for resolving our server speed issue by moving us onto a better, faster server. Again, if anyone sees performance glitches please let me know as soon as possible so we can work the issue(s) as they arise.

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

3/6/2014 - Update #17b

Well, looks like we're working a glitch currently. Bill brought to my attention that we're missing pictures from some of the prior forum posts. I've checked around and it looks like perhaps one subdirectory where uploaded files reside was not re-populated on the new server. I've asked Robert to look into this and hopefully we'll see the pics pop back soon. We do have backups so I'm not too worried, glitches do happen when you swap servers despite best efforts.

Thanks
Eric
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Example of a thread where pictures are not working:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the "favicon.ico" for the site is not the same car icon that it used to be. Not sure if the missing images folder is related.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

No resolution as of yet on the pic issue (#17b). I have a message into Robert to inquire if he's uploaded the backup images yet, I checked just now and one of the old posts I made with a pic was still glitched so I don't think he's done so. I'll start following up with him via telephone later today.

Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

More on issue #17b....

I'm now suspecting we're looking at a problem with the forum system displaying the images rather then a failed file transfer here. I was doing some snooping this morning, based on file counts and content type I'm thinking that the images did all actually transfer. What is blown is the association between the file name that PHP re-assigns to the file and the post itself to call the image file. None of the file sizes match the size of the pic that is shows in the post. Instead of a file name like "odometer1.jpg" the PHP system convolutes the file names to something like "100_05dc543d9759dbd03c7e1d9d4bcc4b91" (and yes, that's one of the actual file names). The date & time on the files all changed because of the upload to the new server, hopefully that's not the root cause of the problem as I don't know if I can do much about that.

I think at this point I'm going to have to consult someone with more expertise in PHPbb inner workings then I have. I'll start with my developer then go from there. This has to have come up before with people doing site swaps....

Thanks
Eric
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Eric, while I may not have found all of them yet, I have re-posted quite a few of the corrupted pictures from my files to make them viewable again.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

More on the dreaded #17b.....

Think we have the answer. Here's the text of an EMAIL that I just sent to Robert....
Robert….

I did some digging on the file attachment issue and found this from the PHP support boards. This has happened before (pictures and files disappearing) with server swaps on other systems. Here’s the answer….

"Your attachment issue could be caused by not uploading the files folder using binary. Be sure your FTP client recognizes files with no extensions and uploads these files using binary format."

So…. It will be necessary for you to re-upload the archive of the /forum/files subdirectory but please make sure the FTP client you’re using complies with above. I saw you use Filezilla, don’t know enough about it offhand to say whether it would work correctly in this situation or not.

Let me know when you’ve re-uploaded and I’ll check it out.

Thanks
Eric
Bill, if you've replaced the pics already in the post I think what will happen is that post will just default to the new picture as we're not altering contents of the post itself. So, anything that has an old pic will again display, anything that has a new pic (since 3/1) will keep right on trucking.