Why did you sell your PPV?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
lsxJERRY

Why did you sell your PPV?

Post by lsxJERRY »

It seems like we've had a lot of PPV owners come and go. I've seen a lot of guys buy these cars and sell them not too long after. What is your reasoning behind it and would you buy another one?

I myself had a 2012 9c1 that I had modified but decided to sell earlier this year.

My reasoning:
-Wanted to have an OEM looking center console, but the cost of parts and their availability was not ideal.
-Having to send in the stereo/hvac controls to get reprogrammed was pricey and just not convenient for my daily driver status.
-I didn't need a 4dr after my relationship status changed
-I was spending too much on the car and wanted to get the most money back on it before he miles added up
-Caprice specific parts cost too much
-The car had 2 attempted break ins and was attracting too much attention in my area

For what its worth, they are good cars, just the fact that the parts availability killed it for me.
9C1fanatic

Re: Why did you sell your PPV?

Post by 9C1fanatic »

I wouldn't sell mine for anything. I've owned a lot of police cars over the years and this is the first one I've owned since new. All the previous ones Ive bought had over 100,000 and even 200,000 miles and all served me very well. I am confident my 2014 will surpass all the others by far in this department. This is the most impressive uni-body car I have ever driven and its built well. I have also had two of these for patrol cars and still drive one at work. They are most impressive for this kind of work and hold up well. Sure they have their issues, what car doesn't. I can attest to the many issues the outgoing Ford CVPI over its long lifespan. Even after more than a decade unchanged, they continued to have certain issues year to year.

As far as parts are concerned, yes they will be harder to find as time goes by but that could be said of any specialty car. I have yet to find the parts are significantly more expensive when compared to other contemporary cars. At least now, the cars are still in production and OEM parts should be easy to get for around 10 years or so. Stock up now!

One more thing, when your cursed by the notion that you have to have a "practical" 4 door RWD performance car from GM, or especially Chevrolet in particular, there is not much alternative!
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Heh, I AM stocking up on parts!! I'm doing the same for our Tahoe PPV. In fact, I'm about to order some replacement panels for the car. Agreed, this car, while missing some of the bells and whistles, which I purposely-bought this car so I didn't have to mess with them, is still a real hoot to drive and fits me well.

So like Garner, I'm unlikely to get rid of this car, unless someone ELSE turns it into a pile of bent metal and plastic.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Amen Gene! I forgot that important point. Where else can you find a modern performance car that doesn't park itself, tell you when to hit the brakes and still have the ability to turn off the stability control completely. All those modern features don't impress me and just make vehicles more expensive and harder to work on for the do it your selfer. For those who love to drive the car, not be driven and work on their cars, this car seems to fit the bill perfectly.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Seems like it wasn't a good fit for you, but I don't think a lot of your reasons for selling hold much water under scrutiny.

1. Center console from a G8 costs a couple hundred box and and afternoon or two to put in.
2. So what if you have to pull the HVAC/Stereo and send them off. Set it on a comfortable temp and turn off the radio before you pull it out. Daily drive all you please. Recommend waiting until frost season is over.
3. You can always use a 4dr. It's 2drs that become prohibitive to owning with certain life changes.
4. They do and they don't. Common wear items are easily available through GM, and many parts interchange with the G8 which has quite a bit of aftermarket support. I haven't found any item yet that couldn't be had for a reasonable price. Sure, buying from the dealership is expensive, but that's true with any new car. Try paying BMW prices for parts.
5. I can't speak for break ins. If I was vandalizing cars, a Caprice wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list. I can't think of many cars made in the last five years that would be less appealing to break into.

Parts availability will probably be the biggest concern that these cars face as time goes on. Still, it's not hard to get G8 stuff here, or import Holden used parts from Australia. Barring some kind of body damage, I don't see any prohibitively expensive parts to replace. If repairs are that extensive, that's what insurance is for. I can't imagine getting similar performance and versatility from anything else out there less than $30k, and these cars can be had for a fraction of that price.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
kevink

Post by kevink »

cal30_sniper wrote:Seems like it wasn't a good fit for you, but I don't think a lot of your reasons for selling hold much water under scrutiny.

1. Center console from a G8 costs a couple hundred box and and afternoon or two to put in.
2. So what if you have to pull the HVAC/Stereo and send them off. Set it on a comfortable temp and turn off the radio before you pull it out. Daily drive all you please. Recommend waiting until frost season is over.
3. You can always use a 4dr. It's 2drs that become prohibitive to owning with certain life changes.
4. They do and they don't. Common wear items are easily available through GM, and many parts interchange with the G8 which has quite a bit of aftermarket support. I haven't found any item yet that couldn't be had for a reasonable price. Sure, buying from the dealership is expensive, but that's true with any new car. Try paying BMW prices for parts.
5. I can't speak for break ins. If I was vandalizing cars, a Caprice wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list. I can't think of many cars made in the last five years that would be less appealing to break into.

Parts availability will probably be the biggest concern that these cars face as time goes on. Still, it's not hard to get G8 stuff here, or import Holden used parts from Australia. Barring some kind of body damage, I don't see any prohibitively expensive parts to replace. If repairs are that extensive, that's what insurance is for. I can't imagine getting similar performance and versatility from anything else out there less than $30k, and these cars can be had for a fraction of that price.
I wasn't going to say anything, but since you did all the hard work, I might as well say that I completely agree with everything you said. My HVAC didn't stay where I set it prior to sending the silver box to Chris White, but I drove the car anyway and I didn't die!
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

kevink wrote:
cal30_sniper wrote:Seems like it wasn't a good fit for you, but I don't think a lot of your reasons for selling hold much water under scrutiny.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you did all the hard work, I might as well say that I completely agree with everything you said. My HVAC didn't stay where I set it prior to sending the silver box to Chris White, but I drove the car anyway and I didn't die!
I didn't send mine out but it switched to defrost on its own when the radio is unplugged.

Not selling mine, making it mine! Radio, brakes, and interior done, engine and tranny next.
gregc

Post by gregc »

Not getting rid of mine. I spent entirely too much time and money doing that 9C3 conversion. It requires more than 1 afternoon or 2 to do the swap. It's not a direct swap. For the console and shifter, it's the same. But the parts that are 9C3 specific were very hard to find and had to be sourced from Australia. Changing from the floor activated parking brake to a hand brake took some time too. Then having to get G8 door panels and rerouting the wires to the window switch to center console took some time too.

It's also my only 4 door performance sedan. My other 2 performance cars are a Camaro SS and a Challenger Hellcat.

My PPV is unique also since it's a 9C1 with no spot lite. Mine was a GM Demo that they brought to trade shows. It only had 100 miles when I bought it. It's also a Middle East Caprice SS clone with the SS badges on the doors, V8 badges on the fenders, rear spoiler and the leaping Impala badge on the trunk lid and center caps on 20" Super Sport wheels.

My car doesn't attract any attention. The common folks think it's either a Malibu or a FWD Impala. I even had the dealership fooled when I brought it in for the recall work. They were surprised to see a longitudinal V8 and rear drive in an "Impala".
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Like I said before, I was spending too much for what the car was worth. I didn't want it to get stolen either so instead I got decided to take a small loss on it rather than losing it. Getting a garage built soon so break ins won't be an issue soon.

I saw a 2014 Chevy Caprice go on Dashub recently around the $2-4k range on auction and I was seriously considering it. At least buying one at auction and modifying it myself the car would have more value. I am starting to see a lot of parts go up on Car-Part.com which leads me to believe we'll see more used parts go on sale.

I do miss the car, best one I've had, 1,000x times better than my 2010 CVPI I bought after it. If I can buy one for less than a GTO, C5 Corvette, or Camaro, I'll get one.