2014 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV AIR CONDITIONER NOT COLD

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
s/c'd cav

Re: 2014 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV AIR CONDITIONER NOT COLD

Post by s/c'd cav »

looking at our parts history on the expansion valve , we have only replaced 1 in several years

i think its more to do with the amount of freon
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

2822MM wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:25 pm Thanks a lot guys for all your feedback. I’lol have dealer do the ac service like
you guys mentioned. How much does it cost btw?
Thanks in advance

Dealer charged $235 out the door. Measure what s in systems, evacuation, pressure test/ refill, added dye plus 11 units of freon. Re checked for leaks while running again. Like someone mentioned the system needs a specific amount of freon, too much is no good either . So I figured who best to know the system but dealer. And I haven t been to dealer for a service in decades, LOL.
2016 C1
IM28702

Post by IM28702 »

Not picking on the OP here, just offering help. Seems his knowledge of how A/C systems function is particularly low. So, that said....

Don't try to replace the expansion valve yourself. You'll release all the refrigerant. You have to evacuate the system before replacing components. If you're already on this program, awesome. I'd just hate to see you read that you just take off a hose and then a couple allens and then have it all get out and make a big mess, and cost you more money in the process.

I am in agreement that having the dealer or a mechanic that knows what they're doing (quickie lube places do not qualify) is the way to go.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

I just picked up a new GM compressor ($480) expansion valve a desiccant sock, O-rings. Pressure gauges tell me my compressor us tired after 97K on the clock. I'm gonna try to replace these components myself with the help of my retired mechanic who's back is to messed up but has the vacuum pump and A/C tools I may need. Just debating weather I wanna be standing on my head under the dash trying to remove that expansion valve? Is that the hardest part to replace in our system? And what needs to be removed to even get a glimpse of it lol.
Or should I just take my new parts to my long time trusted A/C shop ?
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Capeasy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:30 pm I just picked up a new GM compressor ($480) expansion valve a desiccant sock, O-rings. Pressure gauges tell me my compressor us tired after 97K on the clock. I'm gonna try to replace these components myself with the help of my retired mechanic who's back is to messed up but has the vacuum pump and A/C tools I may need. Just debating weather I wanna be standing on my head under the dash trying to remove that expansion valve? Is that the hardest part to replace in our system? And what needs to be removed to even get a glimpse of it lol.
Or should I just take my new parts to my long time trusted A/C shop ?
If you have a 2013, the expansion valve is accessible from under the hood. I would guess the 2014 and up are the same.

David