AC issue

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
Jt.kline19

AC issue

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Just recently I notice my ac has not been working correctly. I notice that the driver side is kind of cold but not what it should be, and the passenger side is warm, but not like the heat is one. I not sure what the issue is the dials are all set to cold, and it doesn't appear as the ac is turning one. What are something I should be looking for? Im not sure if the compressor is working properly.
K9Vic

Re: AC issue

Post by K9Vic »

Have you changed it to single zone?

I have read that from the factory the system may be over charged, you may want to have it checked. Your repair shop will be able to look up the lbs for the system to check.
Jt.kline19

Post by Jt.kline19 »

K9Vic wrote:Have you changed it to single zone?

I have read that from the factory the system may be over charged, you may want to have it checked. Your repair shop will be able to look up the lbs for the system to check.

Yes, I have change zones, turned it on and of, turned the heat on an off. Would that effect the ac all of a sudden? The ac was working fine about a week ago. Stupid question, is it covered under the drivetrain warranty?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Good try but no prize. AC is not covered under the basic drivetrain warranty. Sometimes the blend door actuators can go out of kilter and may need to be reset, run each side through a cycle from cold to hot and then back to cold. I've also been told anecdotally the actuators can break & leave you locked into one temp, but I've personally not seen this on Caprices, more on G8's.

Also... there are some possibilities if your Freon charge is either over or under the 18oz factory recommended charge, we've had users experience both AND experience a return to normal cooling with a evac/recharge. If you do this, have the shop doing the work tell you exactly how much Freon they recovered so you'll have a good idea where you were at on charge status, and let us know here as well. These AC's look like they are turning out to be a bit finicky especially with some age on them.

Just a few suggestions. Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Jt.kline19

Post by Jt.kline19 »

AC recharged fixed the issue so far. Appears I was low on freon. I evacuated the system an put new freon an oil in. AC blows like wind chill.
DanielSmith1

Post by DanielSmith1 »

Good to know this. I am facing the same problem. I will also check freon and will apply the same.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

My AC stopped cooling about 2 weeks after driving the car back to Florida from Illinois. A refill lasted 5 days, then another refill lasted 3 days, then 1, etc.

UV leak detector showed that one of the crimped fitting on the main hose assy coming out of the compressor was leaking. Took a few hours but I replaced the assembly and recharged the system. The entire assembly was about $85. It's been working for almost 2 months now. Of course I got lucky and it wasn't the compressor or worse, the evaporator!

2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Ckedin

Post by Ckedin »

Had the in cabin air filter changed recently and it seems like the AC blows noticeably colder.
think the interval is like every 22K miles (not certain about that) and I waited till about 30K but would recommend changing depending on conditions you run the car in.
jhonster

Post by jhonster »

Silversled wrote:My AC stopped cooling about 2 weeks after driving the car back to Florida from Illinois. A refill lasted 5 days, then another refill lasted 3 days, then 1, etc.

UV leak detector showed that one of the crimped fitting on the main hose assy coming out of the compressor was leaking. Took a few hours but I replaced the assembly and recharged the system. The entire assembly was about $85. It's been working for almost 2 months now. Of course I got lucky and it wasn't the compressor or worse, the evaporator!

Question. How did you pull the line out? Did you take the radiator out and go from the front. Or try to sneak it by the side coming out along the rack and pinion and suspension? Thanks.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

jhonster wrote: Question. How did you pull the line out? Did you take the radiator out and go from the front. Or try to sneak it by the side coming out along the rack and pinion and suspension? Thanks.
Removing the old line was the biggest pain in the a$$. However I did sneak it between the radiator hoses with the radiator in place. The upper radiator brackets were removed to gain access to the a/c condenser connection to the hose. Mine is a 2014 with the electric steering rack so I'm not sure if the hydraulic rack will have more or less clearance.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i