New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:08 pm 

Hey guys,

My AC has not worked properly since I bought the car. I had Pepboys :roll: do an AC check while they were doing a quickie oil change for me and they said I needed a new relay along with a new condenser and high pressure hose. I know I do need something either on the hose or condenser side because I've lost all of the freon, I just haven't had a chance to get under the car and pull of the shield to see whats leaking. I would like to get the fan running properly before I change those parts and do a re-charge though. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 pm 

There are 3 relays that control the fans. They are outside of the under-hood fuse box. Think I got some pictures of them during other mods:

The two blue small circles are circling 2 of the cooling fan mounts:

Then this one is over by the fender, I have it labeled in blue tape:

Now this is on a 2011. 14 plus should be the same but may be in different areas under the hood.

The relays are made by Hella and you can get them for about $9.00 a piece, read the part number on the top of them to reorder.

Not to bad mouth Pep boys but they are not know for their high quality diagnosis. Double check their work. We have an extended warranty on our cooling fans that are know to take a dive. I would suspect those before the relays.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:04 pm 

Thanks for the info Steve, yeah I don't trust their prognosis at all that's what the rolie eyes was for :)
How long is the extended warranty for? My car is currently at 103,000.

My plan was to power the fan directly and see if it started running or not. If it turns on then the problem is elsewhere and I get the joy of tracking it down.

I'm still working on getting the USB port and once I do I'm going to do a thread on the radio and USB plug install.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm 

I think it's over for the 2011's, was not sure what year you had. Think it was 6 year 100K mile.