GM's replacement sedan is on the street!

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
elc32955
System Manager

GM's replacement sedan is on the street!

Post by elc32955 »

Well now.... Based on an article in Police Fleet Manager (Sept-Oct 2016, pp 44-49), the replacement sedan for both the Impala Limited and the Caprice PPV will be the 2017 Chevrolet Impala LS "Municipal" equipped with the special 1FL package. This new package is directed towards the non-pursuit police administration and municipal market segments. The vehicle is on the "Episilon" platform, same as the Cadillac XTS and Buick Lacrosse, with a wheelbase of 111.7 inches. There is a Kerr Industries upfitting option available for this vehicle.

The new 1FL package essentially mirrors the same trim level as the old Impala Limited. Stand-alone options include a trunk cargo net, fold-down rear-seat headrests, remote start, and rear park assist/backup sensors. Backing cameras are now standard for every 2017 Impala. The 1FL package provides either the 2.5 EcoTec 4 cylinder engine or the 3.6 LFX V6 engine (same as the current Impala Limited) at $1,045 additional over base price with a small bump to a 305hp rating for 2017. No FlexFuel capability with the 4 cylinder engine, unleaded only. Front/Rear cloth seats and carpeted floors are standard, since the vehicle is not a direct PPV replacement nor pursuit rated, no special police trim applies for the interior. You get four basic colors, black, blue, silver, and white. 18 inch steel wheels are standard, 235/50R18 tires. Alloy wheels run from $1,500 to $3,530 additional with 19 inch 5-spoke wheels also available. According to the GM Fleet website, the MSRP on this package car starts at $28,175.

I've driven one of the new 2016 Impala cars in the LTZ trim level with the V6 engine. I can tell you the car is peppy, handles well, and would probably make a good admin vehicle. The GM Law Enforcement Product Council had input on the package design and, within the limited parameters available in a non-pursuit rated car, did provide a degree of assistance in the package development. So essentially the 1FL package is the new GM sedan police package, just not for chasing people with. If you have to go in pursuit unexpectedly (in extenuating circumstances), you do so at your own risk as you will probably be outside of your department's policies at that point. You can still equip the vehicle with lights, sirens, et al (Fire, EMS, Emergency Management, etc...) and there will probably be all sorts of Kerr upfitting options to do so. You just can't chase speeders with it.

Now, if you want the equivalent car in the civilian market, just get a LTZ Impala with a 3.6 and you've got pretty much everything in the package anyway since it's not coming with pursuit suspension or performance brakes. With alloy wheels, seat heating/cooling, and leather added to boot. I'd bet the 1FL will also have a de-contented Mylink package as well in order to be bid-competitive.

Go here to read the article, scroll to Page 44 to start. http://content.yudu.com/web/y5b2/0A2qjx ... index.html

Thoughts everyone?

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
kevink

Re: GM's replacement sedan is on the street!

Post by kevink »

It sounds incredibly lame.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Wow....honestly doesn't surprise me. After what I saw what GM did with the prices on the Tahoes and no plans after the 2017 caprice, I kinda saw this coming but didn't want to admit it. Granted, the new impalas do look sharp...its still not my cup of tea.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

2017 Lacrosse is 114.4 WB....at some point, Impala should be updated on the same platform, and will be a much better/nicer car. Wonder if the plan will be to keep building present Impala as a "classic" version, de-contented for fleet & now police service.

What is not known is when (MY) the Impala update is programmed, but there's probably some info in GM Inside News or something along those lines.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yeah, for LEO's that really do have to chase people in a sedan, this car is probably like getting a set of Neuticles.... Can you imagine the feeling in going from a Caprice to a Impala Muni??

http://www.neuticles.com/
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

"Here's our solution to us no longer making an inexpensive V8 RWD pursuit vehicle, because we really don't have one."

It was like when they retired the B-body, and made the v6 FWD Lumpala as the replacement. Sad.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

elc32955 wrote:Yeah, for LEO's that really do have to chase people in a sedan, this car is probably like getting a set of Neuticles.... Can you imagine the feeling in going from a Caprice to a Impala Muni??

http://www.neuticles.com/
Before the Impala "Classic" (W platform) was replaced by the current Impala for the general public, the W-car as both civi & police was using the 3.6 & 6-speed (300+ HP FWD) and would scoot quite well--not necessarily the best/safest vehicle for pursuit purposes, but it is/was quick. No idea of top speed capability in 9C1 trim, but I'm sure it would be good for 140+.

Caprice PPV comes along--heavier car, larger interior, longer wheelbase--without speed limit option (130 mph), V8 runs 154, V6 (also 3.6) runs 149, but probably takes much longer to get there.

Considering the lack of a known plan beyond 2017, other than what you've revealed, it's still a question, in my mind, if the current Impala or its future replacement/update (ala Lacrosse) could make the grade without RWD or AWD--my own "crystal ball" says build a new Impala SS with TTV6 & AWD--I see that as the most plausible future after Zeta SS Sedan is gone. Some are hoping for an Alpha sedan variant, but that's an expensive platform and makes cost a much larger issue against the competition.

While Ford Taurus is available with the TTV6, I don't know if it's offered in their LE program (356HP & AWD), but I don't see that many Taurus compared to the Expolder (SUV w/FWD or AWD))--typically using the non-turbo powertrain, such as CHP. The Ford is cheap, unit body, but their LE program folks have managed to make it attractive, and able to meet requirement for seating & load capacity with full load of equipment. That's what's taking out the sedans--no Caprice PPV's in CHP because of the lack of load capacity.

Equinox is roughly equivalent to Explorer dimensionally, I believe--the 3.6 V6 in that vehicle goes quite well--makes me wonder if/when it may have a life in LE. Tahoe is big, heavy and relatively expensive to purchase and operate--but probably much better in ability to survive abuse. Other option is something like the new (GMC) Acadia, sized in between Equinox/Terrain and Traverse/Enclave. Still, all of these are FWD or AWD, not RWD.

Point being that pursuit, in & of itself, is less of an issue today. V8 power is losing it's edge over smaller engines with turbo, or hybrids. Watch Tesla introduce a police package....there's a rumor that could set things spinning!
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Navy Lifer wrote:
elc32955 wrote:<SNIP>
Point being that pursuit, in & of itself, is less of an issue today. V8 power is losing it's edge over smaller engines with turbo, or hybrids. Watch Tesla introduce a police package....there's a rumor that could set things spinning!
A report on the test was in the 'e-zine' that Eric linked at the start of this thread. I'd be concerned about battery overheat with the things in service, but maybe they have a way to protect against that, and still let the thing move down the road.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

The W body Impala 9C1 is out of production as of the 2016 model year. When it had the 3.6 in its final years, it could hit a top speed of 150 MPH. Much better than the 3.9 of earlier years. There is no replacement announced as of yet for this car. The 2017 admin impala is not a police package and I would be surprised if they ever offered one. One reason they kept the W body impala in production along with the newer 2014 up Impala is to continue to offer the class of vehicle to fleets without tarnishing the image of their new Impala as one only good for rental fleets as the last W car was.

The police Taurus is available with the Eco boost but doesn't really at compete because # 1 it about a $3100 option on both it and the Explorer and most agencies cannot afford let alone justify expense when you can get a Dodge or Chevy far cheaper with similar performance. # 2 The car is just too small which is why it has not caught on too well. Its more cramped than a W body Impala. Most agencies that buy them in large quantities are ones that formerly used the Impala.

When the Caprice bows out, the Dodge will be the sedan to have. As of now, it is the best selling police SEDAN for the last several years. My Chevrolet dealer we buy our Caprices from says Chevrolet, for now, is going to completely get out of the police sedan business. The Tahoe will be the only offering for now.

Eric, that heading was a tease.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

friggin GM. They should bring back the 96 9c1. Best police car ever.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.