Bluetooth for Handsfree calls

Need custom module programming for your Caprice PPV? Chris White is here to answer your questions.
Forum rules
Please note & respect that Chris has full-time employment. General questions can be posted here, but for specific individual needs please contact him via his website. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
yargnits

Re: Bluetooth for Handsfree calls

Post by yargnits »

I'm checking off my list of wants for the PPV and learning about the radio upgrade. One push of the steering wheel's phone button initiates the phone function of my Bluetooth connected iPhone, and it works great with the mic in place.

What I've been doing to activate Siri is double-tapping the steering wheel's phone button. Is that what others have been doing?

EDIT: one tap seems to do the trick.
Last edited by yargnits on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
yargnits

Re: iphone bluetooth function issues

Post by yargnits »

Is anyone else using an iPhone to make and receive calls through the radio's bluetooth? Mine has been hit-and-miss on being able to hear each other.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Sorry, I have android. No voice activation for me it looks like.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

mercialogo wrote:Sorry, I have android. No voice activation for me it looks like.
Hold down the steering wheel button the should invoke hands free dialing.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
Karma_Police

Post by Karma_Police »

yargnits wrote:Is anyone else using an iPhone to make and receive calls through the radio's bluetooth? Mine has been hit-and-miss on being able to hear each other.

Yup. I find that if I use any of the vehicle controls to answer a call (Steering wheel or touch display), the other person won't be able to hear me, and I wont hear them. This is the case even when the phone shows the call is via bluetooth. What i've found is if I intiaite the call from my phone, or answer it from my phone, it always works this way - as in, they hear me through the car's mic, and I hear them through the car's speakers (duh).
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Karma_Police wrote:
yargnits wrote:Is anyone else using an iPhone to make and receive calls through the radio's bluetooth? Mine has been hit-and-miss on being able to hear each other.

Yup. I find that if I use any of the vehicle controls to answer a call (Steering wheel or touch display), the other person won't be able to hear me, and I wont hear them. This is the case even when the phone shows the call is via bluetooth. What i've found is if I intiaite the call from my phone, or answer it from my phone, it always works this way - as in, they hear me through the car's mic, and I hear them through the car's speakers (duh).
I can answer a call from the car controls but I can't ask siri to "call my wife". I can't hear her. Not sure if she can hear me.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

[quote=I can answer a call from the car controls but I can't ask siri to "call my wife". I can't hear her. Not sure if she can hear me.[/quote]

Maybe your car prefers it this way.........

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Besides plugging in the microphone, is there any additional wiring to be hooked up or installed once the radio is Bluetooth capable?
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Fudgehog wrote:Besides plugging in the microphone, is there any additional wiring to be hooked up or installed once the radio is Bluetooth capable?
Nope. I just plugged it in to the connector that was up there and it worked immediately.

I will say that I'm disappointed with the quality. My wife complains that it's hard to hear me and Siri doesn't understand that well either. One downside to having the phone Bluetoothed in to the system is that when I initiate Siri (even frim the phone's home button) it always uses the car's mic. The bad quality leads to a lot of incorrect speech-to-text messages. I lean toward blaming the road noise, which is a huge contributor to the issue, but if I shut off the Bluetooth and force the use of the phones mic, it works great.

Maybe others will chime in and offer a different experience, and something's just goofy with my mic.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT