Requested upgrades to feature sets for the Caprice

Need custom module programming for your Caprice PPV? Chris White is here to answer your questions.
Forum rules
Please note & respect that Chris has full-time employment. General questions can be posted here, but for specific individual needs please contact him via his website. SPECIAL NOTE - We have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
elc32955
System Manager

Requested upgrades to feature sets for the Caprice

Post by elc32955 »

Chris,

Just to kick this thread off, there's a number of requests people have had for modifications to the Caprice electronics that will probably take a BCM reflash or other programming. Starting list is here... (not necessarily in order);

1) Enabling remote start (assuming all hardware is in place).
2) Undoing the 7Y6 dome lights modification (no dome lights when doors open).
3) Enabling theft alarm for vehicles provided without it.
4) Flashing 2011 clusters to the 2012 software to gain things like the total hour and idle hour counter.
5) Modifying the TPMS alarm settings for running lower tire pressures.
6) Reflashing clusters to gain settings left out on some programming versions (8/4 cylinder indication screen for instance).

And then there's the Holden iQ..... lot of content was shut off for the Caprices that's available on the Aus. cars. We understand that some of it (the Nav and the on-board ripping) is not possible without upgrading hardware. But, things like enabling the USB input, the backup cam, the aux inputs, should be possible. Tom Slick and ZerOne (Matti) have done a lot of work towards Holden iQ issues, but we're not all the way there yet. We know the Holden iQ work will be a combination of adding connectors along with programming, that issue is slowly being tackled as well.

So... just a starting list for you to look at. I'm sure there will be more down the road....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Requested upgrades to feature sets for the Caprice

Post by Navy Lifer »

"Normal" fog lamp function, or as possible on G8 (with WAMS BCM tweaks)--on with high beams, etc.

Maybe Chris can post a list of possibilities....how about power window control using key fob?
arizona

Post by arizona »

I am interested in those for sure. Don't all cars have the 4/8 cylinder screen? Mine has it.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

elc32955 wrote:Chris,

Just to kick this thread off, there's a number of requests people have had for modifications to the Caprice electronics that will probably take a BCM reflash or other programming. Starting list is here... (not necessarily in order);

1) Enabling remote start (assuming all hardware is in place).
2) Undoing the 7Y6 dome lights modification (no dome lights when doors open).
3) Enabling theft alarm for vehicles provided without it.
4) Flashing 2011 clusters to the 2012 software to gain things like the total hour and idle hour counter.
5) Modifying the TPMS alarm settings for running lower tire pressures.
6) Reflashing clusters to gain settings left out on some programming versions (8/4 cylinder indication screen for instance).

And then there's the Holden iQ..... lot of content was shut off for the Caprices that's available on the Aus. cars. We understand that some of it (the Nav and the on-board ripping) is not possible without upgrading hardware. But, things like enabling the USB input, the backup cam, the aux inputs, should be possible. Tom Slick and ZerOne (Matti) have done a lot of work towards Holden iQ issues, but we're not all the way there yet. We know the Holden iQ work will be a combination of adding connectors along with programming, that issue is slowly being tackled as well.

So... just a starting list for you to look at. I'm sure there will be more down the road....

Eric
1. Consider this one done.
2. Also Done :)
3. I think this should be no problem as well.
4. Shouldn't be a problem as well, we do LOTS of work on AAPL/VDO clusters.
5. It would be a different module but this shouldn't be a problem either. There is some liability here so we'll have to figure this out.
6. Not a problem at all.

There really isn't a specific list I have of everything I can do but I'll entertain any ideas :) The window down function is only for new Global A vehicles so the NEW 2014's I could do this on actually.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Sweet!

Chris, you rock!

Eric, I'm already getting information on the IC chips and processors in the IQ unit you sent me... will let you know when/if I find out anything good regarding bluetooth. I do know that the USB "port" for flashing the unit can probably be enabled for audio files... I can charge my phone using it...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

Tom Slick wrote:Sweet!

Chris, you rock!

Eric, I'm already getting information on the IC chips and processors in the IQ unit you sent me... will let you know when/if I find out anything good regarding bluetooth. I do know that the USB "port" for flashing the unit can probably be enabled for audio files... I can charge my phone using it...

Later,
Tom Slick
I'm sure we could handle the USB port but would need a unit to test obviously, if there is one floating around can I call dibs next? LOL
Chris White
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 Escalade V
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

BCM enroute to Chris today for enabling Remote Start.

Nice to see he's already added Caprice PPV to his website vehicle list!
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

So to get these mods we have to pull the cars computer and send it to him?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Essentially, yes....any "computer" or module (ECM, TCM, BCM, etc) that would be needed to make the specified modification....in my case, I chose to acquire another BCM, have it programmed at the dealer with the same information as the unit in the car, and I will send the original BCM to WAMS for the update for remote start.

It's more expensive, but the other thing it allows, since WAMS is only mail-order, unlike some of the tuning services that travel or offer uploads by e-mail for some automotive flash memory systems, and software currently available for engine & trans re-programming "at home", by having the second BCM, it allows me to keep the car running with a base program when I have additional upgrades I would choose to install in the future (swap BCM's and mail the modified unit back to WAMS)--whether any of those currently listed, or something not yet identified.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

K9Vic wrote:So to get these mods we have to pull the cars computer and send it to him?
Correct. This actually has quite a few benefits, the first one being cost. Since I don't have to sit around and develop remote hardware and software to do this I can keep the cost down. Secondly its a controlled environment really no chance of bricking anything when I do it on the bench. I realize it can be a bit of a pain but I have what I like to think is very fast turn around (one weekend) and if you coordinate with me there is a possibility depending on what the product you want is I can get it done on a day during the week and get it back out that same day to you.
Chris White
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 Escalade V
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6