Installed subwoofers?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
FzCobra

Installed subwoofers?

Post by FzCobra »

I was wondering if anybody on here has installed subwoofer(s) in their Caprice ?
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
Raunchtastic

Re: Installed subwoofers?

Post by Raunchtastic »

I have one 10" sub from Polk Audio in my trunk. I popped out the two spots on the parcel shelf to let a little more air flow. It sounds great in the back seat, but muddy in the front seats. Not terrible, just not as clean. I haven't spent too much time messing with it since I've installed it. I read on the G8 forums that switching polatity of the subs can help, but I haven't bothered with it.

That being said, having a sub GREATLY increases the sound quality of the car. Well worth it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Again this is already covered you guys need to read the older posts not just the active topics....

http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

I've read the older posts, I didn't see anybody who actually installed subs, or described their setup, only discussion on wiring.
I'm trying to figure out the best way for subs, without adding a bunch of extra weight, losing trunk space, or losing stock appearance.
The acoustics of the trunk, and lack of pass through seats make it challenging.

I have a single 10" also, currently in a temp enclosure, and the factory parcel shelf holes removed as well.
It sounds OK with the windows down, but not up. I think it needs more air flow. I might try the polarity thing, which I guess would
effect wave cancellation off the back of the trunk.

Raunchtastic,
What direction is the sub facing?
-Rob
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

Also, do you have any electrical whine\noise coming through the sub?
-Rob
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

myself and other guys have installed 2 subs into the parcel shelf holes, i believe mine are only 8" ones but they are designed as free air units not for a box, you lose zero trunk space to this and you can easily mount an amp of ur choice into the side panels areas where the batteries go. I don't have any pics at the moment but if you did the cutouts not sure what you want to see?
I have no whine in anything and used the wiring method shown in that other thread. Not sure what sound you are after if you think its good inside the car what else matters?
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

FzCobra wrote:I've read the older posts, I didn't see anybody who actually installed subs, or described their setup, only discussion on wiring.
I'm trying to figure out the best way for subs, without adding a bunch of extra weight, losing trunk space, or losing stock appearance.
The acoustics of the trunk, and lack of pass through seats make it challenging.

I have a single 10" also, currently in a temp enclosure, and the factory parcel shelf holes removed as well.
It sounds OK with the windows down, but not up. I think it needs more air flow. I might try the polarity thing, which I guess would
effect wave cancellation off the back of the trunk.

Raunchtastic,
What direction is the sub facing?
It is in a box all the way in the front drivers side corner of the trunk. I have it facing the rear of the car towards the trunk opening. I don't have any whine. I wired the amp to turn on when the key is in the "run" position by tapping into the same relay that activates the second battery. I thought about aiming the sub up, and may move it, but I haven't decided. I try to keep as much clutter out of my car as possible, so I don't have to worry about anything puncturing the sub usually. I used a line-level converter behind the glove box and ran RCA cables down the passenger side under the step guards, and under the lower portion of the rear seat. The back rest has a small pass through near the top just under the parcel shelf. The amp is mounted against the seat back on the passenger side, and power is run to the passenger side battery.

Every car that I have owned has had a sub at least, if not a full system, but this is the first car that I've had with a system that has been equipped with two batteries, and it is noticeably cleaner sounding. I figured that wiring the amp to the aux battery, I wouldn't stress the main battery out as much.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

thats covered up by the stock parcel shelf piece
Attachments
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG (103.03 KiB) Viewed 16462 times
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

That looks way better than my setup. Probably takes up less space, too.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

it takes up ZERO space, if you open my trunk you have no idea its there until you get down into the trunk itself and look up under the parcel shelf area which is obviously dark and see the magnets hanging down. The wiring and amp is all behind the trunk liner carpet. And the radio hookup to stock again nothing to see except my sub level adjuster which is tucked down against the center console cubby hole. I wish someone would figure out how to do this same type of install onto the front center speaker so i could install that also...
Attachments
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG (86.42 KiB) Viewed 16454 times