How To - Build your own USB cable for 2011- 2013 PPV's

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
yargnits

Re: How To - Build your own USB cable

Post by yargnits »

yargnits wrote:
elc32955 wrote:Don't necessarily have to use the GM style end. I've used this unit successfully on at least one other install project. Find a spot it looks good, pop a hole in and flush mount the end unit, then put the 90-degree connector on for the iQ end and install. I'm guessing the aux in wires would go into the main harness, just have to get the correct pins for it and extend the audio wiring as necessary to reach....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Boat-Dash-F ... dc&vxp=mtr

Eric
So how did this turn out? I'm not a fan of mounting the connectors in the "floor" of the bin as it will collect debris and makes the bin kinda useless. Has anyone tried to mount a connector like you cited next to the AUX power (cig lighter) connector in the console?
I just finished putting this connector in and thought I'd pass on the results
IMG_9965.JPG
IMG_9965.JPG (80.37 KiB) Viewed 22741 times
IMG_9966.JPG
IMG_9966.JPG (104.53 KiB) Viewed 22741 times

I used Steve Walker's "how to" guides for both the USB and AUX connections. Per his instructions I ordered all the bits from Mouser at minimum cost. To make life much easier I did most the work on a bench. The USB went off without any problems thanks to the instructions. Tested and works perfectly. Testing the USB and seeing all the functions it can do it is what turned me into a Chris White fanboy :lol: I can play my iphone(ipod) via the USB connection and play audio files off a USB stick. Add this to the Bluetooth functions and it makes me think anyone that doesn't do this upgrade needs to get their head examined.

Wiring the 3.5mm socket was a little more work. I had to test the plug-end I cut off to come up with the different wire colors for each connection. I found that while the socket does have 4 wires coming from it, it appeared that the 4th wire didn't connected to the ground wire when the socket was empty (making it a "detection" wire). I threw a "hail-mary" and connected the 4th wire to the detection pin on the radio anyway and it didn't work. Everything else did. It plays left and right channels perfectly, and I don't think I'll fret over not having the radio automatically switch over when something is connected into the socket. I will add that after I plugged the pins into the big connector I about crapped myself when I realized I didn't feed the wires properly over the connector's lever. I was relieved that the lever could be detached and I routed the wires when they needed to go.
IMG_9969.JPG
IMG_9969.JPG (89.35 KiB) Viewed 22741 times
BIG thank you to Steve for doing the ground work on these connections! The last thing to do is decide on a backup camera.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

You are welcome Dave! Came out real nice with some good clearance to the AC duct. I am building a similar setup this weekend with a factory plug and factory USB connector wire I will post some pics of that set up as well that is in a similar position to yours.

Good Job!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

This is the one I did this weekend for another members vehicle. Some Pics of the Factory Plug Mounted showing clearance to the AC duct. Just makes it. Good thing the AC duct has a little dent on the end of it.

Auxiliary plug just clears as well:

Front of it with DVD RCA Inputs:

You can mount everything a bit higher in the bin but you would have to modify a plastic bracket behind the bin. Once you cut the bracket you got a lot of room to maneuver stuff. But I think it looks pretty good as is.

Test fit with the white face receptacle:

Or you can go with just the USB/AUX receptacle, but you have to stay to the left for clearance of the wires in the back:
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

ok. WHAT is the trick to building your own cable????? I have wasted many of this little things. I now only have 3 left. I have tried with pliers and even went and bought a new set of crimpers as my old set only goes to 22. I cant get these things to work. :( Call me frustrated. I guess my fat fingers are not for this.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I assume you are talking about inserting the crimped terminals into the gray connector. YEa it's hard. Even with the right crimpers it still does not get the tail end of them small enough to insert easily. I smush them a bit (side to side) with standard pliers then use a pick to seat them all the way in. But I have ruined a few wires in my time and had to start over. Why I always recommend getting a few extra gray connector as that usually gets ruined in the process as well. In addition to extra terminals.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Well, I was not even getting that far. I am just having an issue getting the terminals even crimped on the wires. I finally decided to try and solder which I did pretty good. Then I went onto pushing then into the gray connector. I had 3 of them started, but while I was messing with the 4th one, the terminal broke off. A few choice words where said and now I am off to order more terminals and start this all over again. :( I am using a duel usb cable from a computer that I cut the face plate to accept. It was going to look good but now I am just about too shore on the wire length. So I may have to end up buying a whole new faceplate too. :( This is stupid. I guess time to find someone in the Tulsa area that pay. I just have no clue who. :( Double frustrated now.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

mercialogo wrote:Well, I was not even getting that far. I am just having an issue getting the terminals even crimped on the wires. I finally decided to try and solder which I did pretty good. Then I went onto pushing then into the gray connector. I had 3 of them started, but while I was messing with the 4th one, the terminal broke off. A few choice words where said and now I am off to order more terminals and start this all over again. :( I am using a duel usb cable from a computer that I cut the face plate to accept. It was going to look good but now I am just about too shore on the wire length. So I may have to end up buying a whole new faceplate too. :( This is stupid. I guess time to find someone in the Tulsa area that pay. I just have no clue who. :( Double frustrated now.
It's always the last one the breaks on me as well! LOL Suckers. If you cant find anyone you can send your stuff to me and I can tackle it for you. But look into the shops in your area that repair Iphones. They usually do other electronics fixes and have the stuff needed to do it right.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

Could you show which of these wires is for the front aux?
Thanks
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

FzCobra wrote:
Could you show which of these wires is for the front aux?
Thanks
It would be the ones along the bottom of the photo, red, black, green, white.
(the Blue and Thicker white go up to the Mic in the roof)

For a listing of the spots see this post:
Radio Connector Pin Out Listing

IF you are using a GM style plug you would have the 4 wires shown.

Any aftermarket plug does not have the "Auxiliary detection signal" feature so you would only plug in to spots 21,22,27 for audio only.
Actually I have seen one aftermarket plug with 4 wires but the 4th was a video or mic input so not behaving the same as the auxiliary detection signal circuit.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

Thanks Steve.
The previous owner of my car (Tom Slick) had already built the connector, but disconnected it before trading it in, with the exception
of the RSE\DVD. There are some wires that had been stuffed under the dash that I'm assuming are front aux and maybe an amp control wire.
I'm trying to figure what they are for and put them to use without actually pulling out the IQ unit.
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic