How To - Build your own USB cable for 2011- 2013 PPV's

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
FzCobra

Re: How To - Build your own USB cable

Post by FzCobra »

I got the car back at the end of April. I've been a lurker on the board a few months prior to getting it.
Yes, it's Tom's old car, bought it from the dealership he traded it in at.
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Man, you got a nice ride!!

Welcome.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

FzCobra wrote:I got the car back at the end of April. I've been a lurker on the board a few months prior to getting it.
Yes, it's Tom's old car, bought it from the dealership he traded it in at.
Cool , great to have you out of lurker status! LOL
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
FzCobra

Post by FzCobra »

Thanks guys.
-Rob
2012 9C3 Mirage Glow Metallic
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

OK in one of the pictures in the first post of this thread I mentioned I had to go with a 90 Degree USB Mini-B type cable to make my installation work at the bottom of the center console storage bin. I finally have some solid information I can share on this topic with some pictures to illustrate the differences.

So first lets be clear the receptacles we are talking about are GM factory parts that all seems to have the same type of USB Mini-B connector input.

First I will start out with my first attempt, a straight universal USB Mini-B cord:

So with this one plugged in I just barely did not have enough clearance as the cord hit the floor of the trans tunnel. The receptacle would not sit all the way in the hole I had cut out and lock in. So had to find another solution.

Looking around I found a GM cord (19303328 about $20.00) that had the correct Delphi Automotive connector to go into my GM receptacle. I thought great a solid connection and a factory solution!! Unfortunately it stuck out even further than the straight universal solution I first tried.

But trying the GM/Delphi cord was helpful in this regard. If you are planning to mount a receptacle in any other location and have a bit more depth this maybe the solution for you. Not only do you get a factory positive locking USB Mini-B plug but the total length of it is around 38 inches. More than enough to reach to the glove box or front cubby. It may even be enough to get to the center console storage bin if the depth was not an issue. So this was a good find:

So then I looked for Universal 90 degree USB Mini-B plugs in the market. Not that easy to find and I will tell you why. There does not seem to be a generally acceptable name for the configuration of plug we need. One Manufacture calls it an Up Angle 90 Degree USB Mini-B while another one calls it a Down Angle. And the difference is quite important if you are using any of the GM receptacles with a AUX in plug that can be in the way. If you are just going into a single USB receptacle I guess it wont be all the important as far as up or down angle.

So first one was the Tripp-Lite model UR030-006-DNB - about $6.00 From various online retailers. (UPDATE: Looks like these are discontinued by Tripp-Lite DigiKey has about 170 of them left at a good price Link To DigiKey) It cut down installation depth quite considerably with the added benefit that I did not have to modify the receptacle at all because of the longer neck of the plug cleared the receptacle plug walls.

So just wanting to cover all the bases I got another cord off Ebay that would work well also. Problem is in this case it worked too well. It was the smallest depth of them all but it required modification of the receptacle (cutting off the factory plug locking tab) and since the AUX IN plug was now sticking further out than the USB plug it sort of defeated the purpose of it. But if you need the smallest depth possible for your install this is the cord for it. Search Ebay for "Up angle 90 degree Mini usb B 1.5" There is only 1 seller currently and it ships from China, Very fast shipping, it is amazing China shipments are coming faster than domestic these days. About $6.00 also. Length is 6 foot so plenty to work with. Seller was "just_for_survive" on Ebay

So in the end I went with the Tripp-Lite product. Final installation has some friction tape around the plug so it wedged into the receptacle to hopefully stay in place over the years. If it ever falls out I will rig up some tie wraps to lock it in place. But for now it seems pretty tight in there.

Please post up any more info if you come across something good in your search!
Last edited by smwalker on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Steve,

I'm shortly getting ready to finally dissect my dash in order to add USB and the aux wiring, thanks for the good write up. Also I sent a query to CP on whether he could source the OEM wiring (USB/aux) from the WM with the IQ, I don't think I've seen where that's been looked into yet from down under although I could be wrong and just missed it.

I still have an issue in getting my HSV Maloo gauge pod to fit correctly, the shop that did the cutdown left it a bit long on the bottom end and the silver trim will not fit correctly. I'm probably going to have to install, verify the cut points, and then get it cut again (correctly) so I can reinstall my trim. Pain in the posterior. At the same time I do the radio wiring I'll do the gauge pod since it all has to come apart anyway...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

elc32955 wrote: Also I sent a query to CP on whether he could source the OEM wiring (USB/aux) from the WM with the IQ, I don't think I've seen where that's been looked into yet from down under although I could be wrong and just missed it.
No I think you are right, do not think that avenue has been explored. I just assumed since I saw the company in AU that sells the head unit upgrade kits makes their own cables did not figure anything was available from Holden.

Let us know what he says.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Don't necessarily have to use the GM style end. I've used this unit successfully on at least one other install project. Find a spot it looks good, pop a hole in and flush mount the end unit, then put the 90-degree connector on for the iQ end and install. I'm guessing the aux in wires would go into the main harness, just have to get the correct pins for it and extend the audio wiring as necessary to reach....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Boat-Dash-F ... dc&vxp=mtr

Also CP replied to me in the other thread. The part number for the iQ USB connector he provided doesn't come up here in the US on a few searches I did, so it's probably an Aus only part.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

elc32955 wrote: The part number for the iQ USB connector he provided doesn't come up here in the US on a few searches I did, so it's probably an Aus only part.

Eric
I checked as well could not find anything. The style of it with the protective cover looks eerily similar to one in a 2013 Chrysler 300. They put them in the Console Bin as well. We got a 300 at work will have to check that out see what kind of connector they are using.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

elc32955 wrote:Don't necessarily have to use the GM style end. I've used this unit successfully on at least one other install project. Find a spot it looks good, pop a hole in and flush mount the end unit, then put the 90-degree connector on for the iQ end and install. I'm guessing the aux in wires would go into the main harness, just have to get the correct pins for it and extend the audio wiring as necessary to reach....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Boat-Dash-F ... dc&vxp=mtr

Eric
So how did this turn out? I'm not a fan of mounting the connectors in the "floor" of the bin as it will collect debris and makes the bin kinda useless. Has anyone tried to mount a connector like you cited next to the AUX power (cig lighter) connector in the console?
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)