Radio Just Stops Working

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Twotonfun

Radio Just Stops Working

Post by Twotonfun »

Folks,

Need your assistance here

For the third time my radio has just stopped working. I have had it replaced a year ago and updated about 6 weeks ago.

Most cases are similar to today. The radio works fine. Stop do a few errands come out fire up the car and display shows day and date no music. I can get to the menus but no sound. no radio display. Any one else run across this?

Andy Simmons
2011 ppv-9C-3
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Radio Just Stops Working

Post by smwalker »

And just shutting off the car and restarting that brings it back? Think a few other have reported the same. No real fix offered. Just seems to be a glitch.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Ours will go VERY quiet if I adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls, and the front passenger messes with the volume knob on the dash. The only way to get the volume back is to turn it up with the wheel control again.

Start the car, and adjust the volume with the radio knob, no problem. Try to mix and match the two, and you have to turn it up again with the steering wheel control. Weirdness.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

Turning it off and restarting brings it back.

Thanks everybody
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Was reading a bit on the AU commodore board and the 07 VE's seemed to have a similar problem.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve- ... ost1821606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is similar the the G8 dash set up. Their solution was to just remove the front radio fascia with Radio and AC controls (it is a lot easier on those VE/G8 models) and just re install it. Something about making better contact between the fascia and silver box seemed to fix it for them.

And really I can see what they mean when looking at our silver boxes and fascia contacts. In the picture below all Radio and AC controls are sent through 2 rows of connectors that are really small and really close to one another. Now I am not about to tell you I under stand how this information gets passed along through this connector all I can say is I can imagine on a hot or cold day some metal expanding or contracting could move these contacts a bit and not have them make contact.

I wonder if the next time it happens to you just press against the front of your AC/Radio controls and see if that wakes anything up. If it did I wonder if the fix would be just to put some spacers behind the silver box mounting to bring it out maybe a 1/16 of an inch so the front could make a better contact with it if perhaps something in the dash assembly is pushing it away from the connector.

I don't know that's my best guess short of '"gremlins"

P.S. The other thing mentioned on those boards was the first thing they asked people who had this problem was "is your car an Ex police model?" Because they somehow figured out the surveillance mode circuit was activating for some reason and leaving the dash completely dark. I would guess you would still hear audio in surveillance mode and you said you hear nothing when that happens so less likely there. Perhaps completely unplugging the police upfit harness from the passenger foot well might be a good way to eliminate any potential shorts from that system.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

Mine has done that twice in two and a half years. Restarting the car has had no effect, it just came back on by itself later. My issue is that when the radio goes out the climate control is stuck on where it was at the time. Having defroster heat from a cool morning in the late afternoon is no fun.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

I've had that issue many, many times. Two things help, leaving the car on a battery tender, and leaving the AC turned off, between uses.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I can predict down the road that we're going to have problems with these iQ units. My unit has 61K miles right now on the car, I've as of yet to do any mods to the radio. The problem I'm seeing is that my volume control on the dash is pretty much gone south, it's extremely erratic as well as the radio tuning knob. If I want to manually tune I can spin the knob and it more or less stays in place if I want to increase frequency. Now if I want to DECREASE the frequency it seems to work much better. I've been toying with the idea of trying some Deoxit and see if that helps, but barring that I'd hate to think I'd have to replace the entire front face assembly for one defective knob. Steering wheel controls seem to be fine, I've got the SSV wheel that's marked in plain language that I got from Matti right after I purchased the car. No pictograms for me! 8-)

The other problem I'm seeing, still, is the ungodly time delay between the time the car is started and the AC compressor decides it wants to kick in. Florida is hot hot hot in the summer, sometimes it'll take easily 1-2 mins before the AC decides it wants to play. Nothing like visiting your friendly local blast furnace..... The pressures are good on the AC, so it's a control issue of some kind.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.