Fuse box in the passenger side floorboard

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
CrashTestDummy

Fuse box in the passenger side floorboard

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I noticed the thing in the pictures of the car when I was shopping:

front right fuse block1.jpg
front right fuse block1.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
and
front right fuse block and pigtail.jpg
front right fuse block and pigtail.jpg (126.87 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
It's located in the front passenger's footwell. When talking with a guy at a local autocross yesterday, he mentioned that it was for the second battery, that I'd hook it up then. Well, I already have the second battery, AND, there's a similar fuse block back at that no. 2 battery. I'm wondering what it is for, and what I can do with it. It does appear to be connected to something up in the dash on the passenger side. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Fuse box in the passenger side floorboard

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, that's a Scott Williams question....
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

That is a fuse setup from the outfitter that had installed lights, radio, etc. I guess they didn't realize, or didn't trust, the factory fuses/relays...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'm guessing they had a console 'overlay' over the factory console that that fit under, then plugged into the switches on the console panel? Thanks.

And as I said, there's one back by the right-side battery that looks exactly like it, down to that pigtail.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I decided I wanted to do something with that fuse box today. I first figured I'd see if it would reach to the flat spot at the back of the console, and upon rolling out the wires, it looked like it would. I thought I'd route it behind the glove box, and over to the console, running the wiring down a channel on the right side of the console. I pulled the 5 screws that it looked like would allow me to remove the glove box, but that was a FAIL. Soo, while looking deeper, I pulled the right side kick panel, and the front passenger side threshold plate to see: 1. if I could figure out how to get the glove box out, or 2. find a better way to route the wiring/a better place to hide that box.

I discovered another aftermarket relay behind the kick panel. It looked like a FIAMM part, but I didn't take time to read the brand. It had two ground connections, what I suspect was a power in connection, that had just an insulated spade connector on it (no wiring), and another that had a blue ~14 ga. wire on the connector, but that blue wire appeared to have come disconnected from a butt connector closer to the door.

There was another small, >18ga. wire that is dark blue with a yellow stripe plugged into a fifth connector on the relay. I'm thinking that's from the aux. harness and is the wire that will allow separate flashing of the back lights from the front ones but not sure. I didn't see any other wire that might have been connected to that other unused terminal on the relay. There were, however several small (>18 ga. wires tied in a knot near that relay, I don't know where they go, but suspect they go back to the aux. harness in the right rear of the car.

It looked like there was a small amount of space over the transmission hump up by the firewall that I could simply coil the wires up and zip-tie in place up there, so that is what I did. I removed the upfitter's circuit board (I can use it later, or may put it to good use improving the wiring on our Firebird autocross car), routed the wires from the right footwell area, under the ventilation housing in front of the glove box (there were spots for what is probably a cover panel across there that I could tie the wiring to to make across the passenger footwell. I then coiled the wiring up, tied the wires together, and stuffed them between the transmission hump and the under dash ductwork.

I may have another look to see if there's anything I can do with these wires after I get my FSM set in. They've been ordered, just waiting for them to get kicked out the back of the Big Brown Truck. At least all that wiring is out of the way for passengers.

Rolling around under the dash of that car, though, just beat me up!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?