Removing auto lamp sensor - service manual help?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
bsparks72

Removing auto lamp sensor - service manual help?

Post by bsparks72 »

I'd like to replace my auto lamp sensor in the center of the dash, right at the windshield. Does anyone know how? I tried lightly prying on the plate around it, but I didn't want to break anything. Any help is appreciated!
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Removing auto lamp sensor - service manual help?

Post by smwalker »

SO HERE ARE THE STEPS FOR REMOVAL OF THE ENTIRE DEFROST TRIM.

WHICH I THINK YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET TO THE SUN SENSOR REMOVAL.
Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover - Left and right  Procedure  -  Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim cover to the instrument panel assembly.<br /><br />Note:  It may be necessary to loosen the outer edges of the instrument panel trim plate applique.
Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover - Left and right Procedure - Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim cover to the instrument panel assembly.

Note: It may be necessary to loosen the outer edges of the instrument panel trim plate applique.
cd1a.png (56.66 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Note:  Carefully pull the windshield garnish moulding (2) away from the A pillar body panel (1) to disengage the windshield garnish moulding retaining clips (3) from the A pillar body panel (1).<br /><br />Disengage the windshield garnish moulding (2) from the A pillar body panel (1).
Note: Carefully pull the windshield garnish moulding (2) away from the A pillar body panel (1) to disengage the windshield garnish moulding retaining clips (3) from the A pillar body panel (1).

Disengage the windshield garnish moulding (2) from the A pillar body panel (1).
cd1b.png (44.78 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Note:  Rotate the windshield garnish moulding to A pillar body panel retaining strap (1) to align the slot in the windshield garnish moulding (2).<br /><br />Open the garnish moulding air bag cover to access the retaining strap.<br />Remove the windshield garnish moulding to A pillar body panel retaining strap (1) from the windshield garnish moulding (2).<br />Remove the windshield garnish moulding (2) from the vehicle.
Note: Rotate the windshield garnish moulding to A pillar body panel retaining strap (1) to align the slot in the windshield garnish moulding (2).

Open the garnish moulding air bag cover to access the retaining strap.
Remove the windshield garnish moulding to A pillar body panel retaining strap (1) from the windshield garnish moulding (2).
Remove the windshield garnish moulding (2) from the vehicle.
cd1c.png (60.35 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Use a flat-bladed tool in order to pry loose the inner edge of the right windshield defrost grille (2).<br /><br />Grasp the right windshield defroster grille (3) and carefully pull to disengage the retainer clips (1). The right side is shown, the left side is the same.<br /><br />Remove the right windshield defroster grille (2).<br /><br />Remove the left windshield defroster grille.
Use a flat-bladed tool in order to pry loose the inner edge of the right windshield defrost grille (2).

Grasp the right windshield defroster grille (3) and carefully pull to disengage the retainer clips (1). The right side is shown, the left side is the same.

Remove the right windshield defroster grille (2).

Remove the left windshield defroster grille.
cd1d.png (36.66 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Grasp the centre windshield defroster grille and carefully pull to disengage the retaining clips from the I/P pad (3).
Grasp the centre windshield defroster grille and carefully pull to disengage the retaining clips from the I/P pad (3).
cd1f.png (32.09 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Last edited by smwalker on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Thanks! I suppose the left and right panels pull up the same way?
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Remove the sunload sensor (1) from the centre defroster grille (2) by turning it anti-clockwise to release it from the centre defroster grille (2).<br />Remove the centre defroster grille (2).
Remove the sunload sensor (1) from the centre defroster grille (2) by turning it anti-clockwise to release it from the centre defroster grille (2).
Remove the centre defroster grille (2).
cd1g.png (44.1 KiB) Viewed 11651 times

BELOW ARE JUST THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SUN SENSOR REMOVAL.

Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Grill Procedures  -  Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the center grille to the instrument panel assembly.
Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Grill Procedures - Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the center grille to the instrument panel assembly.
cd1.png (100.74 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Sunload and Twilight Sentinel Sensor  Procedure  -  <br /><br />1.  Gently pull on the harness to free the breakaway tape, freeing up the service length, giving access to the electrical connector.<br /><br />2.  Detach the sunload sensor electrical retaining pin.<br /><br />3.  Disconnect electrical connector.<br /><br />4.  Turn the sensor counter clockwise to release it from the instrument panel center air outlet.
Sunload and Twilight Sentinel Sensor Procedure -

1. Gently pull on the harness to free the breakaway tape, freeing up the service length, giving access to the electrical connector.

2. Detach the sunload sensor electrical retaining pin.

3. Disconnect electrical connector.

4. Turn the sensor counter clockwise to release it from the instrument panel center air outlet.
cd2.png (94.31 KiB) Viewed 11651 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

And let me just ask one question. Why are you replacing this item? Broken? What features are not working?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

First of all, thanks a million for posting that!

Just taking a shot, as 2 things don't work that can relate to the sensor: My auto headlamps do not work, and my dome light does not come on when I open the door. The manual states that the dome light comes on when it senses that it is dark outside. My car is not optioned to have the dome lamp inoperative. So, either my sensor is bad (which I THOUGHT would be an easy replacement to start), or the programming in my BCM doesn't match the way the car was optioned, or there's a 3rd cause that is totally independent. I was trying to start with the easy one! All of these panels feel like they're going to break when pryed on. I put quite a bit of pressure to the left side panel (nearest the windsheild, next to the center panel) and it wouldn't budge. I gave up, as I don't want to replace another $300 in panels just to find out. I love the car, but I hate the way the dash goes together.

Shouldn't I be able to pry up the left and right panel towards the center just enough to clear the center panel without taking the rest of the dash parts off?
-Brandon
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

bsparks72 wrote:
Shouldn't I be able to pry up the left and right panel towards the center just enough to clear the center panel without taking the rest of the dash parts off?
not sure sorry, Seems like they are tied together pretty good.

I wonder if the GM dealer could give you a printout of all your BCM settings as they are now. Wondering if some agency along the way changed things up on you.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Yeah, for about $100, and I have to trust that the person that does it knows where to look. Going through menus within the Tech 2 (and whatever it is they use now) is not always straight forward. I may give that a shot, though.
-Brandon
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

My GM tech buddy was able to turn off the automatic DRL's, and enable the rear view camera/RSE...

Wasn't able to enable the remote start though...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L