Backup Camera Setup

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
yargnits

Re: Backup Camera Setup

Post by yargnits »

eagle-co94 wrote:Personally I like the stealth look but would have to see what the image looks like once installed. I think the plate mounted cameras look about as tacky as stick on LED lights and emblems from Autozone.
Not to poop on anyone's decisions, but I agree. I want an OEM looking solution.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

smwalker wrote:I wrote this in another thread Here but will include the only relevant part below:

The video connector plug is available from a board member by the name "yuimyt" yui_4000@yahoo.com . Yui sells them for $40.00 as a put it together yourself kit or $60.00 fully assembled. I would highly suggest the assembled version. These contacts are super small and the wires for the video plugs even smaller. The connector is made by SMK and their part number is CSC1020-1882F. Minimum Order I have found to be 500 so for now Yuimyt has a corner on the market.

Good Luck!!
Just an update for everyone thinking of doing this mod. Yuimyt posted on the G8 board that he only has 3 of these connectors left and apparently they have been discontinued by the manufacturer. So Unless JHP in AU bought a buttload of them these may start to be scarce. Or we may have to look into buying the harness from AU Holden and modifying it?

G8 board posting: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost. ... tcount=192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

smwalker wrote:
smwalker wrote:I wrote this in another thread Here but will include the only relevant part below:

The video connector plug is available from a board member by the name "yuimyt" yui_4000@yahoo.com . Yui sells them for $40.00 as a put it together yourself kit or $60.00 fully assembled. I would highly suggest the assembled version. These contacts are super small and the wires for the video plugs even smaller. The connector is made by SMK and their part number is CSC1020-1882F. Minimum Order I have found to be 500 so for now Yuimyt has a corner on the market.

Good Luck!!
Just an update for everyone thinking of doing this mod. Yuimyt posted on the G8 board that he only has 3 of these connectors left and apparently they have been discontinued by the manufacturer. So Unless JHP in AU bought a buttload of them these may start to be scarce. Or we may have to look into buying the harness from AU Holden and modifying it?

G8 board posting: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost. ... tcount=192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From down under....as a last resort - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VE-Se ... SwmmxW39qj
2009.5 PBM G8 GT - CAI, Headers, Tune
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

BlackGT5 wrote:
From down under....as a last resort - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VE-Se ... SwmmxW39qj
Contacted him on FB he has 4 left. Asked about his supplier situation we shall see. But at those prices getting to the point where it's just better to look over your shoulder when backing.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

smwalker wrote:
BlackGT5 wrote:
Contacted him on FB he has 4 left. Asked about his supplier situation we shall see. But at those prices getting to the point where it's just better to look over your shoulder when backing.
Or get a rear-view mirror with a monitor in it is another option. Has anyone installed sensors in the bumper?
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
yargnits

Re: Backup Camera Setup - power source?

Post by yargnits »

I have the camera from my thread (http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1149" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in and rear bumper removal instructions printed out...

One question I still have is power supply for the camera. I was thinking about getting power from the reverse lamps unless the camera can be viewed while driving forward. Not sure if the WAMS update has that ability. What have you guys done for +12VDC?
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

When you fish the wiring into the trunk you can easily tap into 12+ from the right side aux battery area while the carpet is out of place...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

yargnits wrote:
One question I still have is power supply for the camera. I was thinking about getting power from the reverse lamps unless the camera can be viewed while driving forward. Not sure if the WAMS update has that ability. What have you guys done for +12VDC?
In my install thread here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=836&sid=6a2fab76e8 ... 1dd5#p7590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I detail a wire that is part of the police package that is not being used the will give you 12 volt Ignition power. So your camera will always be on when the car is running. The advantage of this I though was that when you went in reverse the video signal would then be sent to the screen and you would not have any delay in seeing the video as you would not have to wait for the camera to switch on and warm up etc. If you hooked up through the reverse lights you may have that delay although some others have said these new cameras are pretty fast at coming on and its not a big deal.

If you wanted to have rear video while drivning I suppose you could split the video feed and have it on the reverse input and the DVD input so you could switch to DVD and wacth whats behind you while driving forward. That actually might be fun! Although you could not listen to radio audio while doing it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

smwalker wrote: In my install thread here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=836&sid=6a2fab76e8 ... 1dd5#p7590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I read through that.

I think watching the camera while driving would be just a novelty, but that's the only reason could think of keeping it powered all the time, until your comment. I didn't think a startup time would be an issue. I'm not big on having it powered all the time (while the car is running) so I think I'll do a bench test before I install to see how fast the video comes up in hopes to just tap off the reverse lights.

The potential use of the other video input is interesting. I was thinking about getting a stealth dashcam that could use the input as a monitor. Another option is adding a forward split-screen camera to see around obstacles when trying to pull out. I could go all out and hook up a composite video box and have the rear camera displayed with a couple side view mirror cameras for easier curb parking. Oh, how complicating things can get... :lol:
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?