What EXACTLY is the difference between a PPV and Australian Radio?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
mnp

What EXACTLY is the difference between a PPV and Australian Radio?

Post by mnp »

Okay. To start, this may be REALLY boring for some people, so for those who want a concise list, here is the TLDR;

Australian Radios Contain
  • Different CD Drives, with flash that can store up to 15 cds
  • Slightly different software, background colors, startups
  • Navigation
Upper level stereos have 2 ohm speakers, the PPV has 4 ohm speakers stock, also making a difference

TLDR over;

A couple of weeks ago I received in the mail, my Australian radio out of a 2012 SSV Wagon (badass car btw Ty, thanks!) which had been in the car since new, it was the top of the line, 5 channel, with Navigation. The end goal was to put it in my G8, not a Caprice, I know, sue me lol. Like any rational and reasonable person, the first thing I did was rip apart the whole thing and compare it and the PPV radio it was replacing.

First up, the mainboard.
Image Image

Some main differences are the inclusion of a second TDA75638 Class SB amplifier IC, supporting circuitry, a second antenna (later found out to be added in addition to the standard FM antenna) as well as a completely new CD drive connector. Other than that, identical processors, NXP D70F3365GJ(A9), tuners, NXP TEF7000HN, and DSPs, NXP SAF7741HV/115. Oh and a 24C16 EEPROM, that contains options, settings, startup screen (Chevy, Holden, HSV depending on the software package), and FM favorites.

Next, the VIB (Video interface board is what I call it)
Image Image

At first, I couldn't tell which one was which just by looking at the pictures, but looking at the images of the back reveals one big difference. The addition of a board-to-board interconnect for the Navigation computer. That seems to be the ONLY difference. Note: Some 11-13s have the backup camera connector removed, probably for cost-cutting, not really sure. With this being said, all of the ICs are the same P/N also. This board mainly handles image processing, graphics generation, communication to the LCD, Backup Camera, EDI, and DVD inputs.

Main SOC - Analog Devices - ADW95097Z-02 aka the Blackfin - Info: https://www.analog.com/media/en/technic ... _BF549.pdf
LCD Controller - Techwell - TW8816 - Info: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf-file/6873 ... L/TW8816/1
Storage (I believe) - Spansion - S29GL128N11TFA02 - Believed to be 128MB NAND flash, not confirmed
RAM (I believe) - Micron - 1XF42-D9GPD - Micron primarily makes RAM chips so that is probably what it is
LCD Serializer - Texas Instruments - DS90UR24 - Info: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ds90ur241.pdf
Un-named Chip (Believed to be USB short protection IC) - MAX4967EGEE/V

Now, the Navigation board, the cool part IMO

When you access NAV settings on the radio, it will tell you the navigation is Windows CE based. Wow, an embedded system running Windows CE, shocker. Anyways, this board handles GPS communication, all the Nav functions, like route planning and driver instruction, also TMC. Traffic message channel, a space reserved on FM frequencies to broadcast information to car radios for the latest accident, road hazards, closures, etc. TMC stations are recognized in the US, but I've never received any messages.

The maps are also a bit of a hitch, they are made by Navteq and are pretty common in cars, BMW, Mercedes, Honda, etc. I have ordered US maps for those cars and will update if I get them working.

Anyway, thanks for making it this far, I hope to update when/if I find out more.

~MNP
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: What EXACTLY is the difference between a PPV and Australian Radio?

Post by smwalker »

Can you specify are you speaking of the WM or WN radios?

Images are not showing for me. What service you use?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mnp

Post by mnp »

They are on Gyazo, these differences are only for 2011-2013 WM Caprice.
ColoCapriceGuy

Post by ColoCapriceGuy »

Does your Australian radio display back-up camera input fine?

An unlocked US one handles my 3rd party camera fine, however, my Australian one does not. I just get a black screen with grid lines. I am attempting to find the solution
mnp

Post by mnp »

Yep, the PPV unit I had worked fine, this Australian unit works fine, and I’m pretty sure I have the cheapest backup camera Amazon has lol, could be camera specific or unit specific, hard to say.