Holden iQ quirkiness

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
elc32955
System Manager

Holden iQ quirkiness

Post by elc32955 »

I'm been recently watching the performance of my iQ controller with hesitation. I noticed over the last few days that the fan speed has been varying slightly for no apparent reason. Then yesterday evening, I'd taken the wife out for dinner at Olive Garden. We were done, hopped in the car, turned the car on, and I was driving down the road when I noticed that the iQ didn't complete the boot cycle, still had just a bowtie on the screen. Had control over the radio when I turned it on, but no control over any of the climate functions. AC was at least on and fanning with low speed, right where we left it when the car was cut off. A key off/RAP kill/key on-start cycle didn't bring it back. I was beginning to wonder if at 41,000 miles it was time for the dealer to apply some TLC to it. Luckily I hopped in the car this morning, crossed my fingers, and started it and everything came up fine. This is like the second or third time now that the unit has misbehaved.

I've heard a few agency horror stories that the iQ was unreliable with multiple warranty swap-outs, but I've not had a repeatable hard failure yet lasting over a day. Yet. Now that I say this, the next start-up will probably have smoke and fire coming from the unit.....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
leadfart

Re: Holden iQ quirkiness

Post by leadfart »

Mine did that within the first couple of weeks of ownership. Fails to boot up, radio works, no HVAC control. It's done it probably five times since I purchased the car in October of 2011. Turning the car on and off doesn't reset it. Usually sitting for an hour so, will reset it.

There is no predictability to it. However, leaving the car on the battery tender tends to lessen the episodes. It can't be repeated for the dealership. I have no clue if it is fixable. The joys of IQ. :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Timmyw04

Post by Timmyw04 »

I've also had this same issue but I have the original Holden start up screen. I just pull the radio fuse in the trunk for a couple seconds. Everything is good after that. It's happened 3 time since I've owned the car.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

How easy is it to access? Details please. I haven't tried that yet! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I noticed the Holden screen on a couple of GM Demonstrators that I test drove before bought my 9C3. They had the lines for the backup camera on the screen , but no camera.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I have not had this happen in my PPV but our 2014 Camaro did this same thing. AC was on when the car was shut off and when restarted it would not respond to any of the controls and none of the AC indicator lights were on. Shut off had no affect but before we could take it to the dealer it started working correctly after setting overnight.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
Timmyw04

Post by Timmyw04 »

leadfart wrote:How easy is it to access? Details please. I haven't tried that yet! :mrgreen:
Sorry it took so long get back. I'm out of town working. The fuse panel is on the left side of the trunk towards the top in front of the battery if I remember correctly. I had to pull the carpet down from the top. It's not that bad.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

elc32955 wrote:I'm been recently watching the performance of my iQ controller with hesitation. I noticed over the last few days that the fan speed has been varying slightly for no apparent reason. Then yesterday evening, I'd taken the wife out for dinner at Olive Garden. We were done, hopped in the car, turned the car on, and I was driving down the road when I noticed that the iQ didn't complete the boot cycle, still had just a bowtie on the screen. Had control over the radio when I turned it on, but no control over any of the climate functions. AC was at least on and fanning with low speed, right where we left it when the car was cut off. A key off/RAP kill/key on-start cycle didn't bring it back. I was beginning to wonder if at 41,000 miles it was time for the dealer to apply some TLC to it. Luckily I hopped in the car this morning, crossed my fingers, and started it and everything came up fine. This is like the second or third time now that the unit has misbehaved.

I've heard a few agency horror stories that the iQ was unreliable with multiple warranty swap-outs, but I've not had a repeatable hard failure yet lasting over a day. Yet. Now that I say this, the next start-up will probably have smoke and fire coming from the unit.....
Send me your silver box, I think I can fix that for you ;)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a quick update, the problem with being locked out has not recurred although I did notice that the AC fan speed is slighly "bump sensitive", meaning when I go over a bigger bump it does surge for a split second. It acts almost like the internal wiring connections within one of the harness(es) are maybe not as good as they should be. When I get the time to tear the silver radio unit out of the dash to send it to Chris, I'll spray the contactors with DeOxit (by Caig Laboratories) before I reattach them to the unit. They have a number of products including contact cleaner for both normal & gold plated connections. I've seen this stuff work in the telecom industry and I swear by it!

Chris, I know I'm overdue to send you my radio..... just have to get motivated to do the dash teardown. I'm dreading futzing with those snaps to get everything apart.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

Believe me man I hear you, just let me know and I'll get you taken care of!
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6