WX7 Confusion

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Z09SS

WX7 Confusion

Post by Z09SS »

Looking at my brand new Helms service manual I see that with WX7 the rear door speakers are supposed to be working and the front doors disabled.

I have sound coming out the front door speakers and nothing from the tweeters in the dash or the rears. The fader shuts off the front speakers if you dial it all the way to the rear as well.

The mystery gets deeper when I notice that the pinouts and wire colors for the front door speakers on the without WX7 match the with WX7 rear door speakers.

I am thinking this is another case of the service manual simply being wrong... But has anyone else with WX7 had the music coming out the back speakers?

Next question!

Am I correct in the other speakers are present and wired, it's just the radio that doesn't have the stuff to run them?

I have a spiffy upgraded radio from LsXtreme here and it'd be handy if it was plug and play to get the other speakers active.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did search for the answer, if it's out there the search function is no good at finding.
Z09SS

Re: WX7 Confusion

Post by Z09SS »

I took pics of the wiring diagrams.

With WX7

Without WX7
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

WX7 is just an optional wiring harness that plugs into X267 (blue connector behind glove box) and redirects the radios output and gives you 4 wires to hook up to an external audio source so they play through the front speakers.

X275 connector also has something to do with it but I am not entirely sure how.

I posted a detailed pic of how it works in the Impala, never seen a detailed depiction of it in the Caprice PPV.

See here:
http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... 291#p25252
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

I am hoping that plugging in the new radio from LSXtreme causes all the speakers to work without running down abandoned in place wiring.

It's interesting that the diagram shows it using X230 too, but the connector diagrams don't mention speakers or have enough open pins for the 8 speaker leads.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The WX7 is a removable harness, depending on what the municipality needed for speakers for their radios. The Impala and Caprice WX7 harness had the same speaker pinouts. The upfitters may have used their own wiring also. You will probably need to find these speaker connections (located behind the glove box) and verify.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

When I did my audio install I was surprised to find speakers in the rear doors, and even more surprised to find them functioning.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

I'm recovering from a car crash, so I haven't torn things apart yet.

But I shined a flashlight through the grills.

Front door speakers are present and working. They respond as front speakers with the fader control.

Rear door speakers are present and not working.

Left and right dash grills have wiring visible and no speakers.

I cannot get the angle to see into the center dash grill.

I'm accumulating parts and am chomping at the bit to get to work.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

So you might have to do some digging, but what's common past 2012 cars is that they all have rear speakers. All of them receive signal. But they don't have amped output from the silver box. If you turn the output all the way to the rear, and the volume nearly max, you can hear them. Even through the door panel.

There is no center speaker or channel for it. Just an empty grill and mounts in the dash. If you don't have tweeters that'd be very odd (dept might have removed). In order to get proper output from the rear door speakers, you'd need a 11 or 12 silver box, Aussie silver box or upgrade etc etc. Along with swapping door panels or drilling/adding speaker grills as I did. And/or run a 4 channel amp like I did.

Some relocate the speakers to the bottom of the door itself and install the grille there. I opted to keep stock position but drill a hole and add a generic Amazon speaker grille. I used a 4 channel 300w amp from Rockford, ran their component system (1inch tweets in the dash), drivers in front doors. And 3 way Rockfords in the rear doors.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF