2014 usb doesn’t work

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Bill.kurman

2014 usb doesn’t work

Post by Bill.kurman »

I have a 2014 and I pulled down the usb plugged in a known good cable and nothing doesn’t even charge the phone the phone in question is a iPhone X on the latest 15.1 software but the Bluetooth end of it works just fine
Blackjack

Re: 2014 usb doesn’t work

Post by Blackjack »

Did you try a flash drive full of music?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

The reason I ask, is my car has no 12v sockets. I plugged my motorized wireless charger/phone holder straight into the USB cord and it fluctuates in and out of charging constantly. I plugged in a flash drive and it plays just fine. It'll play music files from my phone, but it doesn't have enough juice to charge it.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

I would be willing to bet the USB port on the head unit is low amperage, for data only. Newer phones draw 2+ amps, I highly doubt the headunit puts that kind of power out.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Bill.kurman

Post by Bill.kurman »

It doesn’t seem to pick up the phone as connected nor does the phone see the radio
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

only way to connect a phone is through bluetooth, the radio wasn't designed with USB apple or android integration. USB input will simply pick up MP3s and play them, possibly other audio formats.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Check with Chris White for the definitive answer, but I'm 100% sure that the USB input is NOT designed for phone charging. You can plug an Iphone or Ipod in via the USB port to interface with the radio. You can connect Android devices via Bluetooth. The source is the 2014-2017 SS owners manuals given that the USB for the Caprice was supposed to be hidden, never discovered. The manual does state you can use a cell phone as a USB source provided that the phone can be recognized as USB mass storage.

The treatment for USB affiliation issue is to factory reset the radio. Press Config, vehicle settings, return to factory settings, and then yes to initialize the radio. You'll have to reaffiliate any Bluetooth devices you have plus reset stations, etc.... but if there's any code glitches resetting the radio should clean those out. Supposedly. :D

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.