Rear Speaker Solution: Door and Deck, 2014+

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Turbopowered68

Re: Rear Speaker Solution: Door and Deck, 2014+

Post by Turbopowered68 »

tvallaro wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:28 am While I cannot answer that specific question, I did purchase a 4-channel sony amp (XMS400D) and have successfully powered the rear door speakers as well as a set of chevy SS rear deck subwoofers. I used 2-channel high-level inputs from the rear door speakers and am outputting 4 channels (2 door stock speakers using high pass filter, 2 rear deck chevy ss subwoofers using low pass filter).
I will be creating a thread in "member builds", but here is what I did today......

IMG_2355a.jpg
Did you ever do the rear speaker write up?
2014 Caprice V8
Elgin E-1840 P, LS9 Head gasket, LS7 Lifters, PAC-1218 springs, Trunion upgrade, Single roller timing set, Melling oil pump, ZL1 torque converter, Camaro Trans pan and filter.
1986 GN
212/212 Roller cam, 1.65 HR Rockers, 60-1 turbo, XFI 2.05, E85, Ebay Front mount IC, Husek Built TH200-4R trans, 3.42 gears 3800# .
1968 Chevelle
LQ4, 4L80, 12 bolt w/3.42 gears
tvallaro

Post by tvallaro »

Turbopowered68 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:12 am
tvallaro wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:28 am While I cannot answer that specific question, I did purchase a 4-channel sony amp (XMS400D) and have successfully powered the rear door speakers as well as a set of chevy SS rear deck subwoofers. I used 2-channel high-level inputs from the rear door speakers and am outputting 4 channels (2 door stock speakers using high pass filter, 2 rear deck chevy ss subwoofers using low pass filter).
I will be creating a thread in "member builds", but here is what I did today......

IMG_2355a.jpg
Did you ever do the rear speaker write up?
I procrastinated. I started writing it up about a year ago when I finished the install, but never followed through. Thank you for asking because I just sat and typed it up here....
http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtop ... 792#p34888

I still have some detail to add regarding amp wiring to the fuse panel, but the meat of the install detail is posted.
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

Rear Speaker Solution for 2014+:
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I did this mod to my car with some changes. I really wanted those 3D speaker grills that Tim made but he hasn't been on the board in a while. I cut a 6-inch hole in the door and surface-mounted 6-inch coaxial speakers there. Then I put an 8-inch grill over the speakers. https://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Speaker ... 143&sr=8-6 I wasn't crazy about the exposed screws but whatever. I left the original speakers in the door because I think they help seal the door and prevent water from getting in behind the door panels. I used the Sony amp and the speaker connectors Tim talked about. I installed the Bose subs in the rear deck too and wired it all up. I did not cut the package tray cloth in the subwoofer location. I have put stereos in cars before with subwoofers in the trunk. Because they are subwoofers they can work without having access to the passenger compartment, so I figured the Bose ones would still work even though they are covered by the package tray.

For the most part, I'm happy with the way it sounds. I noticed that I could overdrive the subs pretty easily and the amp would get very hot. I had the amp shut down a few times. I assumed it was a thermal shutdown. When I installed the subs, I knew that those Bose speakers are 2 ohms. (most Bose products are.) So I wired a 2 ohm, 25-watt resistor https://www.amazon.com/LM-YN-Wirewound- ... 133&sr=8-3 in series with the positive wire on both subs. This makes it a 4-ohm load to the amp. This made it almost impossible to overdrive the subs and solved the amp overheating issue. I ran the stereo pretty hard for over an hour and the amp didn't get much above ambient.
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

Do you have a picture of how you installed your rear door speakers???

I've been waiting for Tim to post also, but.....He's lost in space I think....

I have the BOSE subwoofers from the Chevy SS, but I also ordered a set of Regular Sub's from Amazon....

I'm on the road right now so I don't know exactly which one's I ordered.

I'll update when I can.....

Gene
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I don't have any pictures from the install, but I can post some of the finished product if you want.
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

Please do.....

Anything is better than nothing...

Thanks....

I'm too darn busy working.....Not enough time to spend modifying my car.....Gotta get those ideas for when I DO have time.....

Thanks
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I covered the entire area where I wanted to put the speaker with blue painter's tape. Then I put the speaker grills where I wanted them and drew a circle around the outside and marked the screw holes. I used the screw hole marks to draw an "X" to find the center of the hole. Then I used the gasket that came with the speakers to center the speaker hole. Did the same, drew the hole using the gasket. Then I cut out the speaker hole and mounted the speaker using 10-32 screws and nylon locknuts. Then put the grill over the speaker, drilled the mounting holes, and used the 10-32 screws and locknuts. I used Polk Audio DB651s speakers. The gold speaker material isn't really noticeable unless you look at them straight on.

Looks like this:
Attachments
20220308_110613 resize.jpg
20220308_110613 resize.jpg (334.34 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
tvallaro

Post by tvallaro »

impalaplt wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:04 am Do you have a picture of how you installed your rear door speakers???

I've been waiting for Tim to post also, but.....He's lost in space I think....

I have the BOSE subwoofers from the Chevy SS, but I also ordered a set of Regular Sub's from Amazon....

I'm on the road right now so I don't know exactly which one's I ordered.

I'll update when I can.....

Gene

HAHAHA. " Lost in Space"

Apparently I am bad at forum etiquette. I think this is the first forum/group I have been a part of and I am failing :(
For my install I purchased NOS factory OEM Chevy SS subwoofers.

What pictures do you want? I can snap some pictures (then probably post them in another 6 months).
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

tvallaro

Post by tvallaro »

Lord Vader wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:43 am I covered the entire area where I wanted to put the speaker with blue painter's tape. Then I put the speaker grills where I wanted them and drew a circle around the outside and marked the screw holes. I used the screw hole marks to draw an "X" to find the center of the hole. Then I used the gasket that came with the speakers to center the speaker hole. Did the same, drew the hole using the gasket. Then I cut out the speaker hole and mounted the speaker using 10-32 screws and nylon locknuts. Then put the grill over the speaker, drilled the mounting holes, and used the 10-32 screws and locknuts. I used Polk Audio DB651s speakers. The gold speaker material isn't really noticeable unless you look at them straight on.

Looks like this:
Lord Vader,
This looks really good. I apologize I missed your PM and posts. I can send you the CAD file, but it looks like you got the job done :).
In an earlier post you mentioned that you don't like the exposed screws. You could replace the screws with 10-32 black zinc screws or some other black coated screws.

Again, sorry for the late reply on all of this.
Tim Vallaro

2015 Caprice 9C1
1981 C10 (5.3)

JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHcOW_4-khw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUKNX4OXw7I

IDK if this guy is on this forum or not but I like this set up. I want to do these door speakers along with the factory SS subs in the rear deck all powered by the 4 channel amp listed earlier here in this thread. I also am going to attempt to split the two RCA outputs out from my LOC to 4 total outputs, two for the 4 channel amp and two for my old 12insub set up from a previous car. I think that'd be a good well rounded set up as far as audio goes.