Headunit replacement

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Z09SS

Re: Headunit replacement

Post by Z09SS »

I feel like I'm asking this question wrong and that's why nobody is actually answering.

Are you saying the ONLY connection you made to the camera and car is the RCA connection at the radio?

The instructions for the camera you used mention tying into the back-up lights and a body ground in addition to the RCA connection.

What did you do with the red and black wires? is what I am asking.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Ahhh. I've slept since then.
I went to "ignition on" power with red and ground in the trunk. I suppose you could do backup light power (probably better). I always wanted to be able to somehow turn the backup camera on without being in reverse (see trailer or front license plate of tailgater :) ). The camera needs power when used. On with ignition isn't a problem especially if you try to turn it on without backup lights on. I've so far not been able to do that. I'll likely end up going to backup light power
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

Got the camera in hand.

1) The RCA on the silver box.
2) Skip
3) Skip
4) Appropriate 12v (I'm going with the hot in run/crank/start in the trunk)
5) Pick a ground, any ground!

Am I correct in skipping 2 and 3 because the silver box is already wired for it?
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

I think skipping 2 and 3 is fine... If I'm following, you have the head unit displaying the "backup camera input" based on what the BCM instructs?
Going back through this thread... you're camera does need power and ground one way or another. You may choose to power it with backup light 12v or somewhere else. I opted (iirc) for full time on (ignition on) and not temporary with backup light power.
My camera didn't work at first which forced me to do some testing to make sure the head unit would display video from an input source. I pulled out an old DSLR (don't recall if it was my Nikon D70 or D7000 - whichever, I had the ability to "use" video signal through an RCA jack to prove that my head unit would use a "video in" signal). After I proved that out, I tested from the trunk. I think my problem ended up being the long video cable that came with my camera. I purchased another very long RCA cable :oops: .
I am very happy with the way it operates. The image is very nice. At night, I've seen better backup views but this one is pretty good. I think a lot of that is the quality of the camera. I assume my camera is "middle-ish" or better in quality (but not "best in class").
I hope I've helped. If you want to talk, message me. Go easy on me, I did this over 2 years ago. :D
BTW - The camera I used is apparently no longer available but the same brand and a similar "replacement model" is available. I got mine at Crutchfield . com.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

I can set the head unit to show a black screen with guidance lines when in reverse.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Z09SS wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:15 am I can set the head unit to show a black screen with guidance lines when in reverse.
Be very careful with connectors. I don't recall which one(s) but one or more connectors to the head unit are very delicate. Breaking it/them can wreck your day.
I think you're in good shape if reverse puts the guide lines on with a black screen. Feed it some video :).
Viewers on their game will note the broken spear in the right side. Another cautionary tale.

Backup Camera View.jpg
Backup Camera View.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 531 times
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

Wired it up.

No function.

Tried wiring it into the RCA port of a TV.

No function.

I'm done.
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

It would appear that the camera I bought is simply dead.

I bought a replacement and...

New camera will show an image on the TV, the first camera doesn't.

I'd assumed it was something I'd been doing wrong and it appears I'd gotten a crib dead camera.

The BMW wire bellow looks pretty good too.

GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Awesome!

I went through a few rough moments on my installation. Glad to hear things are working out!
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

VICTORY!

I have to take apart the interior and route the RCA cable from the dash to the trunk, but...

Thank you for your support, Gamma!