Wiring up an SS shifter into a PPV

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Wiring up an SS shifter into a PPV

Post by smwalker »

Recently some guys have come to me asking about a connector for the SS shifter to be installed in the 14+ PPV. The connector is no problem but what is more complicated is the wiring that will need to be done to get it working. What this tread will attempt to do is break down each circuit along with it's diagrams so it serves as a good point of reference for tackling this job.

I have spoken to some guys that have done this before but I do not think they have ever written anything on the subject. Partly because I believe if i remember correctly the connection at the BCM is dormant in the PPV so hooking it up will not do anything unless you get the programming done for the BCM to act like an SS. But these are the same guys that have also tackled the paddle shifters and such so it gets a little confusing to me what they have all done in terms of trans tuns, BCM programming and the like. Makes my head spin.

Since there is only 6 circuits on the connector I will give each circuit it's own post to keep things separate and organized.

Here is the pinout we are working with

Connector information for the main 6 cavity one here:
AIT Female 6 Cavity Housing - AIT2PB-06-1AK

AIT Terminals (Need 6) - SAIT-A02T-M064
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Position 1 - Rap Relay Control

Post by smwalker »

Position 1 - Rap Relay Control - Curcuit 755

Fuse info for X252:
Accessory power:
Rear Fuse Block
Fuse - F120
Labeled: RAP ACCY
10 AMP

Battery Power
Inst. Panel Fuse Block
Fuse - F29
Labeled: BATT ACCY
15 AMP

So here is the diagram for the RAP relay. Interestingly enough the feed for the shifter comes before the relay. What that means is the load of the shifter is not that great or they did not want a relay in the way for it to possibly fail and effect the shifting. But the 2 things is supplies are the Shift indicator (I assume that means bulb that lights up??) and the manual shift switch.

For our application it would be easier if we could get that circuit after the relay because the branches of the relay (F14RA and F8RA) come to the center console/ dash area I believe.
RAP Relay SS Diagram.png
RAP Relay SS Diagram.png (154.2 KiB) Viewed 8673 times
No incorrect, F8RA does come into the console / dash area with the accessory outlets but F14RA is not used in the SS ( I assume in the PPV as well, I was wrong, see below)
F8ra F14 RA fuse Diagram.png
F8ra F14 RA fuse Diagram.png (167 KiB) Viewed 8672 times

So the quick solution would be to tap into the accessory plug wiring for the RAP relay circuit. If your RAP relay ever went bad you would lose the power to the shifter. Not sure if that is a big deal or not considering what it controls.

Oh here is a nice accident. F14RA in the PPV is used and it also ends in the center console area. It ends in X252 - that is the Up-fitters plug in the center console. So hooking to that wire would be sweet!
PPV F14RA fuse .png
PPV F14RA fuse .png (192.83 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
No I am wrong on that X252 ends over behind the glove box. (I am not sure that is correct in the diagram) The pinout shows a 10 cavity plug with only 3 wires in it. That does not sound like the up-fitters plug in the center console. Have to look to see if that is really even there in a PPV??
Says X252 is #24
X277 is # 20
14 dash harness route.png
14 dash harness route.png (610.37 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
X252 Plug.png
X252 Plug.png (115.25 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
X252 pinout.png
X252 pinout.png (130.77 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
X277 is the up fitters connector that ends in the center console area:
x252 x277 diagram.png
x252 x277 diagram.png (185.24 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
So no easy way to get to that one, better off just splicing into the accessory power outlet wire like I said before.

Well found some into on the connector for X252. Yazaki YESC Kaizen 10 cavity
The one in the car is the Male it is part number (but we don't need to buy this one, we need the Female)

The Female connector body has 2 good part numbers that fit the male.
7283-5564-40
and
7283-6457-40

Then Female terminals (22-20 awg wires) for the female connectors are either one of these, not sure the diffrence:
7116-4110-02
7116-4270-02
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Position 2 - Ground

Post by smwalker »

Position 2 - Ground

Ground is easy enough. You can get it at one of the 2 steering wheel connectors we are going to talk about later. Or can even get it at X252 if you get the RAP power from there.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Position 3 - Tap Up / Tap Down Switch Signal

Post by smwalker »

Position 3 - Tap Up / Tap Down Switch Signal - Circuit 5526

Here is the diagram for it.
tap up down ss.png
tap up down ss.png (162.49 KiB) Viewed 8654 times
As you can see the shifter just provides a ground to tell the BCM you are in manual mode. I think the actual signal for shift up and down gets handled by the Network Data Communication wire. Maybe I am wrong on that.

But the wire goes from Position 3 on the shifter plug to the BCM and gets inserted in Connector X2 (Light Blue in color) Spot 11
WN BCM X2 pic.png
WN BCM X2 pic.png (102.29 KiB) Viewed 8654 times
Click Here for BCM Connector INformation

Programming Needed for Tap Up/Tap Down.
User RM96 wrote on this subject:
"Yes, I have the SS floor shifter tap up/tap down functioning in my 2016 Caprice. No need to add anything, just have to wire up the floor shifter to the BCM and enable TUTD in HP Tuners. Lookup the pinouts for the SS floor shifter connector and the SS BCM. I made a harness to connect mine. I also have the SS IPC, when in manual mode it shows M1,M2,M3 etc."

What I am unclear about from RM96's post is if just the one wire to the BCM is enough to have the Tap up/tap down shift work or are the data lines needed as well. But what is clear is a Transmission tune is needed to enable it in the TCM. And with a factory PPV Instrument Cluster you wont be able to see what manual gear you are in as it will not display.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Position 4 - Park Lock Solenoid Control

Post by smwalker »

Position 4 - Park Lock Solenoid Control - Circuit 7553

What I am interested in here is if the PPV circuit acts the same as the SS.
So Here is the SS (S3 Transmission Shift Lever) and the PPV diagrams next to each other. Seems they are wired to preform the same function. That's good.
SS Shift Lock.png
SS Shift Lock.png (41.2 KiB) Viewed 8650 times
PPV Shift Lock.png
PPV Shift Lock.png (24.19 KiB) Viewed 8650 times
Connector Information: The connector on the car is a Delphi 150 series Female 2 position. So to connect to it we would need the male connector, male terminal and a terminal lock. Here are the numbers:
12047663 Delphi 2 Position Black Connector - 150 series Male
12047665 Delphi Secondary Terminal Lock Male
12047581 Delphi Terminal MALE 150 series
m7 shift lock connector pic.png
m7 shift lock connector pic.png (69.67 KiB) Viewed 8650 times
Or you could just do a standard butt connector to the yellow/White wire. Leave a little extra wire in there if you ever need to cut it to remove the dash you can reconnect it with a butt connector.

Description of circuit from the service manual:
Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Description and Operation
The Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control System is a safety device that prevents an inadvertent shift out of PARK when the engine is running. The driver must press the brake pedal before moving the shift lever out of the PARK position. The system consists of the following components:

The Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Solenoid (serviced as the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Actuator)

The Body Control Module (BCM)

The Engine Control Module (ECM)

The BCM controls the voltage to the shift lock control solenoid though the shift lock control solenoid controlled voltage circuit. The following conditions must be met before the BCM will supply voltage to the shift lock control solenoid:

The ignition is in the ON position.

The ECM sends an input via GMLAN serial data to the BCM when the Transmission Control Module (TCM) indicates the transmission is in the PARK position.

The BCM receives a brake applied input from the stop lamp switch.

Since the shift lock control solenoid is permanently grounded, the BCM supplies voltage to the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid, releasing the mechanical lock on the shift lever as the solenoid energizes. The energized solenoid allows the driver to move the shift lever out of the PARK position. When the brake pedal is not applied, the BCM turns the control voltage output of the shift lock control solenoid OFF, de-energizing the shift lock control solenoid. When the transmission is in the PARK position, the de-energized shift lock control solenoid will prevent shifting as the lever is mechanically locked in the PARK position.

During remote start operation the BCM will de-energize the automatic transmission shift lock control circuit, locking the shift lever in the PARK position
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Position 5 - Local Interconnect Network Bus 2

Post by smwalker »

Position 5 - Local Interconnect Network Bus 2 - Circuit 6133

This is a weird little network but it connects right to the BCM. But I do not think it serves any function in the PPV. Meaning the spot on the BCM might be dead. The PPV does have the Linear Interconnect Network but it monitors many less items (diagram below the SS one) Not even sure it's worth hooking up since even if you flashed a SS BCM to put in your PPV it wold be looking for all those other items and throwing codes when it did not find them. Just guessing though.
SS Linear Network.png
SS Linear Network.png (183.42 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
PPV Linear Network.png
PPV Linear Network.png (86.55 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
The wire would get inserted into the BCM at connector X6 (pink) Spot 9
(Note on this - there is already a wire in X6 spot 9 on the PPV but it ends on connector X209 which is the big (90 cavity) main connector for the dash and body. So you could remove the pin at the BCM X6 spot 9 and insert your wire from the shifter as you are not disconnecting any other item that is attached in that circuit. Or you could just Posi-Tap or splice into the wire already coming off the BCM. Or you could connect into the cavity on spot X209 just not sure how easy that connector is to get to and insert a wire into. If you want to give it a try contact me I will research the terminal that is needed there.)
BCM X6.png
BCM X6.png (95.48 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Position 6 - Key Capture / Column Lock Shift Position Signal

Post by smwalker »

Position 6 - Key Capture / Column Lock Shift Position Signal -Circuit 5905

Since the SS does not have a key I am not sure this would function the same as in the PPV. Once again we will compare the diagrams and they seem to be a bit different. SS is S3 transmission Shift Lever:
SS ignition Lock.png
SS ignition Lock.png (29.47 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
PPV Ignition Lock.png
PPV Ignition Lock.png (36.65 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
There is some difference in the switches. PPV looks like a simple open and close type, funny doodle by the SS one. See if I can find a legend to the different diagram:
So the PPV is just a standard switch normally closed
PPV Switch Diagram.png
PPV Switch Diagram.png (16.48 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
And the SS also appears to be normally closed it's just the squigle indicated how it's actuated. I cant find the exact one but here is something close (sliding actuated)
SS Switch Diagram.png
SS Switch Diagram.png (13.47 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
Whats promising is they go to the same spot in the BCM so hopefully they function the same. No one has ever spoken up that they don't so think it's safe to assume it functions correctly.

Description: Electronic Park Lock (EPL)/Ignition Lock Cylinder Control Actuator: If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission and a floor mounted console gear shift, it has an ignition lock cylinder control actuator system in the steering column. The ignition lock cylinder control actuator purpose is to prevent the ignition key from being turned to the OFF position when the transmission is in any position other than PARK and the vehicle may still be moving. The column ignition lock system consists of an ignition lock cylinder control actuator, and a park position switch that is located in the automatic transmission shift lock control switch. The ignition lock cylinder control actuator contains a pin that is spring loaded to mechanically prevent the ignition key cylinder from being turned to the lock position when the vehicle transmission is not in the PARK position. If vehicle power is lost, and/or the transmission is not in the PARK position the operator will not be able to turn the ignition key to the lock position and will not be able to remove the ignition key from the column.

Depending on the implementation, logic might be inverted: Key can be removed by power off.

Connector Information -
So here is what is in the car, the green female connector:
ppv park position switch connector.png
ppv park position switch connector.png (66.2 KiB) Viewed 8649 times
So we will need the male connector again Delphi Catalog

12059254 Delphi 2 Position Green Connector - 150 series Male
12047665 Delphi Secondary Terminal Lock Male
12047581 Delphi Terminal MALE 150 series

Or once again just a butt connector with some extra wire for future re-connection.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: Wiring up an SS shifter into a PPV

Post by s/c'd cav »

listening in , ill need this sooner or later
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ok finally gathered all the bits needed to make up this harness. Mostly plug and play. One splice needed but it is not even clear at this point if that LIN wire needs to be hooked up. In the SS it is there I think just to tell the BCM that there is a shifter present and hooked up. Not sure it does much more than that. That line is dead in our PPV's so depending on what Chris does with the reprogramming of the BCM for this item it may or may not be needed. Either way I am going to include it on there so folks can hook it up with a Posi-tap (as there is already a LIN wire in the spot it goes to) if they want to recreate the circuits faithfully.

Cost for the harness and additional parts will come in at:
SS Shifter Conversion Harness - Cost $126.00
SS HUD Harness - Cost $78.00
SS Button Sport and Traction Pigtail - $45.00
SS Shifter Plugs.png
SS Shifter Plugs.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 4350 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

im still a moth or 2 out from doing mine , unless you want to drive out to phoenix , in which case i can move up the time line