Security/Alarm/Kill Switch for 2012

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Willigaf

Security/Alarm/Kill Switch for 2012

Post by Willigaf »

Howdy folks. Just had a little too coincidental visit from a fan of the car. Showed up out of nowhere and had a good story about his friend wanting one. Seemed legit actually. He drove a nice 96 Impala SS. Part of a larger group of Impala SS fans, with an instagram page I have requested now. Sort of believe he stumbled across my car on his way to ogle another Impala SS around the corner.

But, it got me thinking. How hard is a 2012 Caprice to steal? Please no specific answers to that here haha. Don’t need searchable content for how to rob us PPV owners.

So, any old alarm system available online or at a local installer? Any that are really freaking loud, and/or will disable the vehicle? Notifications to phone with certain systems? Just a kill switch in the meantime I could hide somewhere would be ok if I had any idea what to put it in line with. Any thoughts?

It won’t fit in my garage unfortunately.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Security/Alarm/Kill Switch for 2012

Post by smwalker »

I am just amazed in general. when we legit owners need a new key we gotta spend $200 to $300 in parts and programming because of all these supposed security features then that means the rates of stolen cars should be down to 0 right?? Nope higher than ever. Well if they can still steal our cars with all this security just give us a damn $14 key and we will buy a steering wheel club..

But since we do have the fleet keys it actually could be very easy to steal our cars.

RetroCarGuy530 did a video series on him changing out the keys in his 14 to prevent other owners from having the same key.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSn7_8RNiJM
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Thanks. I’ll check it out in a little bit.

Oh. That’s not good news at all haha! Crap. Looks like kill switch well hidden is on the agenda here
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I have a box of some Tremco anti jack modules from old police cars. They prevent the car from coming out of park. So they could start it but they would still be stuck. Works good also when you have to leave the car running like the police regularly have to do . Have to find some time and adapt the plugs to work with our shifters.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

If you work for a department you can buy one. Not sold to the general public.
Not sure if they make one for the PPV but I bet they do:
https://www.tremcopoliceproducts.com
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Can we just intercept the fuel pump relay and install a kill switch? Do our cars have a simple relay that we could install a hidden switch to the trigger wire?
Thanks
Walt
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

This may not be what you're looking for but it's kinda related. I have a 12 Volt Solutions remote with the "app option" on my car. It's basically a remote start with the ability to show you where your car is on a map. Might be helpful for you or law enforcement to know "after the fact". The cost of the system is 500 bucks and I really like it. So.. you can "see your car on a map", remote start, remote turn off, see status of locks, lock, unlock your car from virtually anywhere using your cell phone app.

The installation is all plug and play, cutting or splicing is not required (unless you want "running lights on" option). Installing this device gives you a deep understanding of what's required to make the car "go". I think it would be complex to steal one of these cars... at least to drive away. There are two connect/intercept points: ignition switch and the immobilizer. There are also "programming steps" involved (which require a working key) to make the car and remote start system friendly. Without a key, the car protects itself pretty well.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio