WN Engine ground to chassis.

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
smwalker
Administration Staff

WN Engine ground to chassis.

Post by smwalker »

After painting my engine compartment on my 2014 I found I would not get reliable start ups. When I was installing the underhood fuse block bracket I was aware the engine ground went through it but figured the bolts did most of the grounding because the bracket and frame are was pretty well painted or sort of covered in a film of maybe some sort of corrosion inhibitor.

With the car off I was getting battery voltage (12.7) at the input to the underhood fuse block but as soon as i would turn on the car (no crank) the voltage would drop to 9-10 volts. Then once cranking would go down to 6-7 volt. Well there's you problem!

Long story short I think this is not a great design to have the engine ground going through this bracket. And I do not think they accounted for making very good contact to the chassis from the factory.

So if you ever have an issue starting and even when you jump it at the battery you still can't jump it look in to the grounds on the bracket. Even if you have not painted your engine compartment I think you could benefit from a cleaning of the connection between the bracket and the chassis.

Here is how I cleaned my 4 points of contact for the fuse box bracket. Also cleaned off the legs of the bracket on both sides where the bolt touches. Harbor Freights sells a neat little kit that fits on a drill and makes the perfect size landing pad.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-surf ... 61562.html

After bolting everything back up I hit the areas with some clear coat to keep the bare metal from rusting and sealing the connecting surfaces.
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG (133.79 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG (108.28 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG (116.08 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG (132.98 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: WN Engine ground to chassis.

Post by s/c'd cav »

get the liquid electric tape and paint over after they are bolted back down to keep the from rust and corrosion