Holden Radio for PPV

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Tom Slick

Re: Holden Radio for PPV

Post by Tom Slick »

Matti,

In the Config section, there is a tab for the camera, but it only has the option of turning the rear view camera on or off.

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
ZerOne

Post by ZerOne »

Hi Tom,

Yeah the Camera overlay lines was my bad.
I have been trying a bit of brute force programming (Setting almost random numbers in various memory locations) using 11BitSW Can programming. (I'm too poor for Tech2 or TIS2WEB) :(

I wrote a value to the IQ unit accidentally, without reading its previous value.
So I worked out how to enable the Camera overlay, I just have no idea what the value was to turn it back off again :?

All I know at the moment is that the value is between 0 and 255
(And most of the numbers that I have tried have prevented the thing from powering up) :roll:

The Bluetooth mic option being fitted is a good sign !
Is it connected (I.E. is there a wire running back behind the roof trim ?
If this is the case, then it should be just a matter of enabling the bluetooth option on the IQ unit.
(Assuming that the American firmware does not have this option totally lobotomised via software).
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Matti,

Yep, the bluetooth microphone is wired up!

I was thinking the same thing... should just have to be enabled. I think the reason bluetooth wasn't listed when the MDI was connected is because it is standard over there, whereas the camera and entertainment system are options.

My camera overlay is on... Hopefully I can get a camera that either doesn't have the overlay imbedded, or is at least switchable.

I wouldn't think the software was "lobotomized" he he he, because there is a slider for Phone volume in the configuration (startup volume).

I bet enabling AUX is the same way... just have to change the value.

Thanks!
Tom Slick
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

I've been trying to follow this post but I guess I'm not as smart and many of you guys. Are you saying that you are enabling some of the disabled features on the PPV radio? Like the phone and the rear view camera options?
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Pretty much... at least for some features...

The lead techs at dealerships can enable the rear view camera and rear entertainment system features easily.

As for the phone/bluetooth, that is a little trickier, because they became standard in the ones overseas...

But we are all working to figure out solutions to all these issues...

Hey Matti, can you tell me any information on the 20 pin connector (video connector)? I think they are made by SMK... dimensions? good close-up pictures? etc.?

Can you do the same for the 4-pin connection, too?

Thanks!
Tom Slick
ZerOne

Post by ZerOne »

In the workshop manual, they refer to the 20 Pin SMK connector as X5

1 Bare Wire - Shield DVD Input Video Ground (-)
2 Red Wire - DVD Input Video Signal (+)
3 Bare Wire - Shield Reverse Camera Video Ground (-)
4 Red Wire - Reverse Camera Video Signal (+)
5 Not Used
6 Not Used
7 Green Wire -Video Connector (RGBS) - Blue
8 Black Wire - Video Connector (RGBS) - Green
9 Yellow Wire - Video Connector (RGBS) - Low Reference
10 Red Wire - Video Connector (RGBS) - Red
11 Bare Wire - Shield Video Connector (RGBS) - Ground
12 White Wire - Video Connector (RGBS) - Syncronisation
13 Not Used

The funny thing is eSI doesnt mention anything about the remaining pins....

As for the SMK 20 Pin connector,
There are two options.

1) JHP sells a cut down version of the plug with Reverse Cam and Aux Video Connector for $100AUD.
(I ended up buying this because option 2 was not around when I bought this one).
This option does not have any extra pins on the plug to add wires for the RGBs connector.
(Not that I know of anyone that has worked out how to use it yet though)...

2) A place in Oz called Ultimate Conversion Wiring sells one that has pass through capability
(I.E. I think it has all the pins connected, and is a much better cable), though it is a little more expensive).
I am not sure of the price, but here is their website.
http://www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-----

Also, very good sign that the Bluetooth mic is connected, and there is a phone volume option in there !
I didnt think Holden lobotomised the firmware, as from what we have seen with the Older Series I / Pontiac G8 stuff, a lot of the stuff is very very similar (regardless of what many experts have led us to believe).

Holden tend to try and save as much as they can on development work with these things, so they tend to do things once, with programming options to enable or disable features depending on the size of the buyers wallet. ;)

Case in point, the instrument clusters. The Base series (Holden Omega) clusters have support for advanced stuff like magnetic Ride Control status, Caprice Auto Levelling headlamps, V8 AFM (No Omega model ever came with a V8 Lol), etc.. etc..

I will try and get some info on the 4 Pin USB connector. (I found some 5 Pin SIL plugs here, to I will measure up the pitch size and take some photos).

Cheers
Last edited by ZerOne on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

Excellent. I'm interested in getting the phone option to work.
Paul
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Matti,

I have a feeling that when the Entertainment system is enabled, the RGB inputs should be functional... planning on getting it enabled next time I'm at the dealership.

Would allow you to hook up a game system or progressive scan DVD player... :-)

Thanks for the info on the connector... I'll see what I can do about getting some... will keep you guys updated...

Later,
Tom Slick
ZerOne

Post by ZerOne »

Yeah, we are finding the RGBs input to be a bit of a pain to work out..

There is a programming option to enable the Input (HSV EDI),
but there are a couple of other steps that are making this input very difficult to play around with.
(Just in case people are wandering what I mean by EDI, This input is used by the HSV models, for their Enhanced Driver Interface).
This thing displays lots and lots of pretty information..

The EDI module connects to the SW Can Bus, and the HS Bus, as well as a specific HSV Bus (I think used for MRC).

The EDI module broadcasts something one the SW Can bus to say that it is online, and ready to do stuff. (Out First Problem).

Pressing the EDI button on the HSV steering wheel will bring up the EDI interface. (Our Second problem, as this means that you need to modify the stock steering wheel buttons to get this to work)

With my setup, I have enabled the EDI interface on the IQ unit, and I also have the HSV EDI Steering wheel buttons, but pressing the EDI button on the steering wheel brings up an error message on the IQ unit saying that EDI is not available....

This is kind of like the Series I Holden models, that had Sat Nav, which used the RGBs input on the head unit to do stuff.
The Input was always enabled on these models, but unless the Sat Nav Gateway module presented itself by broadcasting some stuff on the SW Can, then the Head unit would do nothing if the NAV button was pressed.

Sooooo, basically what we need to do is sniff the SW Can on a E3 HSV model when we press the Steering Wheel EDI button,
as well as when the Ignition is turned on (To see if we get any announce packets). :cry:
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

^^^ I was thinking the same thing! :?: ;)
Paul