PCM Removal

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
TheCrapicePPV

PCM Removal

Post by TheCrapicePPV »

Hey Guys,

I just took mine out so that I can send it in to have the AFM turned off. I just completed a DOD delete and need to have the car tuned. I'm not going to pay several hundred dollars to have it towed to the tuner when I can send the PCM out and have these guys flash it so it will be driveable for under $100. Once it's back from that the car is going directly to the tuner for maximum performance gains :D

https://www.amsracing.net/collections/t ... ete-tuning

I don't know what your experiences are with the removal of your PCM, however, I would like to hear about your experiences. Did you find an easy way to do it? The link above mentions this:

"With your battery disconnected, remove your factory ECU from inside the engine compartment. This is very simple to do and will not require any automotive experience. If you need help, do not hesitate to call us"

They are saying this about cars that have easily accessible PCM's...not ones buried under the fuse box, fuse box bracket, and at least a quarter mile of wire :evil:

Anyhow, let me know your experience with this.

Dave
s/c'd cav

Re: PCM Removal

Post by s/c'd cav »

mail away is junk , no way of knowing how to tune YOUR setup , other than guessing

get the car dyno or street tuned
TheCrapicePPV

Post by TheCrapicePPV »

Oh I know this won't be a "tune" for performance. I probably should have elaborated that this will get me down the street without having to spend several hundred dollars to get my car towed to the tuner. I'm going to drive to them (the Dyno tuner) as soon as I get it back.

As it sits now the car doesn't want to rev, check engine light is on (due to deleting the mechanical portion of the AFM), and something about stabilitrac is on the screen. However, it does idle nice and lumpy😀

Everything but the AFM plug on the valley plate is plugged in. All grounds are connected.

Have you removed your PCM? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm, I could be quite wrong, since I've not done this, but I thought the car would run okay, but your CEL will be on until you get the DOD deleted from the tune. If it's not revving, you may want to verify everything is properly-connected. I think there's also a vacuum hose that comes off the power brake booster that goes to some module for a vacuum signal. Disconnect and plug that vacuum hose, and it disables DOD and sets a CEL, but the car runs fine otherwise.

But again, I've not done this mod, so am far from an expert.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yeah they usually run ok enough to get you to the shop or onto a trailer , unless the cam is fighting with the tq converter
TheCrapicePPV

Post by TheCrapicePPV »

Disregard the stabilitrac issue. I believe it was popping up because I put it in gear to cycle the trans while it was on my lift. That probably made it freak out.

The whole reason for my post was just to see if others have removed their PCM and if they found an easy way to get it out. IMHO it's not easily accessible compared to other vehicles I've worked on in the past.
dingdangdoong

Post by dingdangdoong »

I know this is an old thread but I was having a similar issue and got a good hint from a friend of mine.

The PCM can be accessed pretty easily by removing the weather liner from the front passenger wheel well.