Removing radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Newcaprice

Re: Removing radio

Post by Newcaprice »

Thanks for the info guys...i finally figured out where the antenna connector is (you have to take out touchscreen and the CD/silver box and it is the black cable on the right side..Then you have to buy a Metra adaptor (which I got from Best Buy) for the stock SiriusXM FM Direct Adapter...

Thanks for offering to help Chris but this is a police car and we are not allowed to remove or "upgrade" them..that probably would have been easier but if anything would have happened and they found out I pulled the radio and shipped it out, I would have been in hot water..
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

Newcaprice wrote:Thanks for the info guys...i finally figured out where the antenna connector is (you have to take out touchscreen and the CD/silver box and it is the black cable on the right side..Then you have to buy a Metra adaptor (which I got from Best Buy) for the stock SiriusXM FM Direct Adapter...

Thanks for offering to help Chris but this is a police car and we are not allowed to remove or "upgrade" them..that probably would have been easier but if anything would have happened and they found out I pulled the radio and shipped it out, I would have been in hot water..
Damn that sucks. Any chance you to a picture of the back of the unit? :)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

this thread really isn't helpful at all, there are no directions here for what to do step by step and half the pics are MIA, I'm stuck myself on my 2011 9c3 with the trim pieces all removed and all screws i can find out. Can't see how to get the lower HVAC faceplate and surrounding black textured panel to come out seems very attached still and clearly has to be the next thing off before the actual radio touchscreen piece can be removed. Help?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Here's what the service manual says:
Front Floor Console Front Cover Procedures  -  Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the front floor console front cover to the console assembly.<br />Disconnect the electrical connections.
Front Floor Console Front Cover Procedures - Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the front floor console front cover to the console assembly.
Disconnect the electrical connections.
cr1.png (81.96 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
Instrument Panel Trim Plate Applique – Left and right Procedure  -  Position the steering wheel to its lowest possible position.<br />Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool to release the retainer clips securing the applique to the instrument panel assembly.
Instrument Panel Trim Plate Applique – Left and right Procedure - Position the steering wheel to its lowest possible position.
Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool to release the retainer clips securing the applique to the instrument panel assembly.
cr2.png (115.13 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
Instrument Panel Lower Center Trim Panel Assembly Procedures: <br />1.  Instrument Panel Lower Center Trim Panel Fastener (Qty: 2)<br /><br />2.  Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim panel to the instrument panel assembly.<br />Grasp firmly on both sides and pull evenly backward without twisting.
Instrument Panel Lower Center Trim Panel Assembly Procedures:
1. Instrument Panel Lower Center Trim Panel Fastener (Qty: 2)

2. Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the trim panel to the instrument panel assembly.
Grasp firmly on both sides and pull evenly backward without twisting.
cr3.png (96.98 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
1  Radio Front Center Speaker Grill.    Procedure  -  Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the radio speaker grill to the instrument panel assembly.<br /><br />2  Instrument Panel Upper Center Trim Panel Fastener (Qty: 4)<br /><br />3   Instrument Panel Upper Center Trim Panel / Radio Control Assembly   Procedure  -  Use 2 hands to pull evenly at the lower edge of the radio control assembly to release it from the electrical connections to the radio. Do not twist or pull from one side only.<br /><br />Note:  It may be necessary to loosen the upper left corner of the instrument panel compartment and the upper right corner of the knee bolster.<br /><br />4  Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Fasteners (Qty: 5)<br /><br />5  Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Assembly<br /><br />6  Radio Control Fasteners (Qty: 3)<br /><br />7  Radio Control Assembly<br /><br />8  Instrument Panel Upper Center Trim Panel
1 Radio Front Center Speaker Grill. Procedure - Use a flat bladed plastic trim tool in order to release the retainer clips securing the radio speaker grill to the instrument panel assembly.

2 Instrument Panel Upper Center Trim Panel Fastener (Qty: 4)

3 Instrument Panel Upper Center Trim Panel / Radio Control Assembly Procedure - Use 2 hands to pull evenly at the lower edge of the radio control assembly to release it from the electrical connections to the radio. Do not twist or pull from one side only.

Note: It may be necessary to loosen the upper left corner of the instrument panel compartment and the upper right corner of the knee bolster.

4 Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Fasteners (Qty: 5)

5 Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Assembly

6 Radio Control Fasteners (Qty: 3)

7 Radio Control Assembly

8 Instrument Panel Upper Center Trim Panel
cr4.png (98.6 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
Last edited by smwalker on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Some more detail on the top and ac vents if needed:
1.  Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Fasteners (Qty: 5)
1. Instrument Panel Center Air Outlet Fasteners (Qty: 5)
cr5.png (87.5 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
1.  Radio Control Assembly Bolt/Screw (Qty: 3)
1. Radio Control Assembly Bolt/Screw (Qty: 3)
cr6.png (85.32 KiB) Viewed 18094 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

wow where was this 5 hours ago sir... want to buy me a new center trim piece?
Attachments
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG (89.05 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG (110.5 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG (81.88 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1407.JPG (89.48 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
Last edited by xcidmigs on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

still goin at it
Attachments
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG (75.81 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG (93.93 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1418.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG (89.67 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG (86.42 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

total time for this was 2 hours, probably take that long to go back too....
Attachments
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG (103.53 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1423.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG (116.78 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG (82.89 KiB) Viewed 18088 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

XC if it makes you feel any better I did my radio today and broke the same center trim piece. Only $30 to replace, sales must be good on it to keep the price so low!

You think if we unclipped that thin center piece first then the outsides it would have been safer? Got to do up a little diagram of that one for future DIY folks.

Ok took some pictures and edited them up in hopes of helping future up graders.
This is for a 2011 9C3. 9C1's will be a bit different as well as 2012's 9C3's will have an airbag in the knee bolster area.

First step is the remove the two instrument panel outer trim covers. They may not be absolutely necessary but they give you better access to taking off the applique trim pieces and they are easy to remove with only 3 clips holding them in. Here is an example for the passenger side. Drivers side is similar.

Just push it outward till the clips release.

Then remove the drivers side knee bolster - it just pulls off with about 10 clips on the back if it. - Unplug the headlamp switch.

Then remove the glove compartment. In the picture below I already have the applique trim removed so you can see the screws better. But you can remove the glove compartment before the trim as it will give you better access to removing the clips on the trim if the glove box is out. Note: you may have to remove the first clip to the far right on the applique trim piece as the glove compartment has a little tab that sneaks in behind the applique trim.

7 screws total for the glove box. Plus one connector for the lamp. Two of the outer screws are covered by covers. Just use a small flat blade to pop off the covers. There is a slot where to stick the blade in each cover.

Once you have the knee bolster out and the glove compartment out you can get to the back of most of the applique dash trim pieces. I have marked up some measurements as to where the clips are on the trim. This is where you want to focus your prying from the bottom and the top if you can get a prying instrument in there. Just using your fingers from below is sufficient to pop off most of the clips (except for the ones by the hazard switch). For me the ones next to the hazard switch are the hardest because you cannot get behind them except with tools and risk damaging the trim above of below them.

Those Number are (from the outside edge in inches)
Passenger Side - 1 1/2 , 7 1/8 , 11 1/2 , 17 , 20 3/4 , right next to hazard switch
Drivers side - 1 1/2 , 7 1/4 , 11 1/2 , 17 , 21 , right next to hazard switch

With the dash appliques off we can now start focusing on the center console. The gear shift surround has to come off because there are 2 screws under there for the center stack cover. And also since the center stack cover has to come off a couple of the console parts have to come off to make room for the center stack cover to move outward.

So the gear shift surround is held in with 6 clips. Prying up in the center area will pop the middle clips first (as they are the easiest) the harder ones are the rear ones then the really hard are the front ones. No need to pop out the window control buttons or the trunk/traction control buttons a they come up with the trim and can be unplugged when the trim is loose.

Then remove the 2 screws for the center stack cover and the 4 screws for the Ebrake and grab handle recesses.

Once all that is out of the way the center stack cover can come off. It is held on with 2 screws (that you just removed in the last step) and 5 clips and 1 guide. This part is the most often broken part because people (me included) remove the outer edge clips first and keep pulling and the center clip holds firm and the panel breaks. So the solution is to either try and get the center clip released first (maybe difficult) or do one side then try and release the center clip. Below is the location of the clips.

Once that cover is off you can get to the 2 screws holding on the radio/ac faceplate assembly.
Remove them.

Then we have to go up top to the center speaker grille and remove that to get at 2 more screws for the face plate assembly. This sucker is not easy either as the best place to start releasing it is the front of it but it is so close to the windshield it's hard to get in there. But try and start at the front anyway since the back has a section that tucks under the dash and makes prying very hard.

Once cover is off remove the two screws holding down the face plate assembly.

Almost in the home stretch now. So now all that is holding on the radio face plate to the dash is 4 very substantial clips that are wedged into the silver box. You will notice the top of the face plate assembly is very loose but the bottom seems the be solid. So solid in fact you might think you forgot a few screws. But nope all clips from here.

So set the parking brake, turn on your car, put foot on the brake and drop the gear shift selector into Drive. Shut off car. This will give you some room for the next step of popping off the ace plate.

So grab under the bottom of the face plate and get your fingers in there as far as you can get them upwards behind the face plate and give it a tug. Now you may releases the bottom clips but you probably wont release all 4 of them on this first yank. So if not go up a little higher on the sides of the face plate and see if you can pop out one or both of the upper clips. No wires to disconnect or anything so do not worry about that. The connectors are integrated into the silver box and face plate. Once you remove it you disconnect the wires as well.

Here is a picture of the back of the lower portion of the radio/ac face plate. You can see the 4 big clips that hold the face to the silver box.

So once the faceplate is off you should have a clear view of the silver box we are after. But first we need to disconnect the wires from the silver box. There is a power plug on the passenger side and a antenna plug on the drivers side. To get to these we have to remove, or just loosen and drop, the center console side covers. I say loosen and drop because Holden made a very nice design on these side covers. We can pop one clip in the front of them and just pull the entire side down while the rear pivots on another clip. Thus making enough room to get to the side plugs of the silver box.

So just get you hand way in the back and pull the clip loose.

And with a little bit of downward tugging on the rest of the panel the whole assembly should come down as so:

You may not be able to get it back together as a one piece unit. If no you can take apart the top piece from the lower piece and install them one by one. They just click together.

Then on the driver side unplug the antenna plug. You have to pinch it on the top to release the connector.

Then on the passenger side you have to pinch the outside of the connector bar and pull it up to release the power connector.

Once those two things are connected unscrew the 4 screws holding the silver box in and pull it out.

You can then ship this to White Automotive to have it programmed with Bluetooth and Ipod stuff along with other cool things.

On a side note: Once your silver box is removed you loose all control of your HVAC system. Mine defaulted to Defrost mode with the fan on high. Not wanting to have my compressor going for 2 weeks while the radio is getting programmed I removed the fuses for the AC compressor clutch and the HVAC blower motor in the under hood fuse compartment. Fuses F18 and FU9.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I removed my 2013 9C1 Caprice PPV radio for the upgrade. It is necessary to remove the gear shift knob, on a 9C1, in order to remove the shifter housing to allow clearance for removing the lower front panel. It took a lot of searching to find out how, but a youtube video showed me. Pry the shifter button out from the top using a plastic pry tool. Remove the screw behind the button. The back comes off. Then remove the center silver section. An attachment clip comes off with the silver section. The rest of the knob comes off. Then the shifter housing can then be removed.
Shown on the bench
Shown on the bench
GearShiftDisassembly.JPG (23.13 KiB) Viewed 17747 times
Tool in from the top
Tool in from the top
GearShiftDisassembly2.JPG (26.44 KiB) Viewed 17747 times
All the parts
All the parts
GearShiftParts.JPG (21.81 KiB) Viewed 17747 times
Shifter exposed
Shifter exposed
Shifter.JPG (39.39 KiB) Viewed 17747 times
All the instruction, listed above, for removing the radio, worked, except both knee bolsters are almost impossible to remove. The drivers knee bolster can be pulled down at the upper right corner to allow removing of the control panel screws. The glove compartment screws have to be removed and the left side of the glove compartment can be pulled down to allow clearance to remove the control panel screws.

I only broke one clip. It was one on the top dash speaker cover. The careful instructions listed above helped me to avoid breaking the center stack cover.

Since the knee bolsters were not removed, the power connector was removed by reaching up into the small area by the right side of the radio to squeeze the sides of the connector.
It was almost impossible to remove the antenna connector with the bolster in place. I fashioned a tool from #14 gauge steel wire to press down on the upper side of the antenna connector. I pushed the wire tool in further and pulled, then the coax connector came right out.
Wire as tool and in position on coax
Wire as tool and in position on coax
AntennaTool2a.JPG (40.45 KiB) Viewed 17747 times
I made my own USB plug for the radio by using some tiny spare sockets. I soldered them to wires, installed in the radio on the bench, then carefully epoxied them together. It works until I order the parts for the proper connector as discussed elsewhere in the forum.

There is a solenoid mounted in the shifter that only allows the shifter to be released from Park when the brake is pressed. I fashioned a #14 steel wire to hold that solenoid in the energized position. This allows the shifter to be moved out of Park without pressing the brake even when the car is not running.