Removing radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
arizona

Removing radio

Post by arizona »

How difficult is it to remove these radios? Reason I ask is mine is at the dealership and they are changing the radio due to failed update and they proceeded to break every trim piece around the radio. Looks as if the plastic clips were stronger than the panels themselves. Anyone else run into this removing the radio?
K9Vic

Re: Removing radio

Post by K9Vic »

It is a PITA and you have to be careful with the clips. I broke one on the long trim piece that runs from center to the door on passenger side.

I do not have time to go over what needs to be removed and the order, but you can see what needs to be done looking at the parts diagrams here: http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

This might help a little... just on the wrong side!

https://sites.google.com/site/udcaus/ho ... structions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
arizona

Post by arizona »

I should forward to the dealer. They broke at least 5 panels.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

arizona wrote:I should forward to the dealer. They broke at least 5 panels.
They are going to replace them on thier dime, correct? They broke it, so they have to replace it.

If they would have looked at the parts diagram they should not have damaged any parts. Also correct body panel tools as well. Yes I broke only one clip, but that maybe due to the cold weather. You can get the body panel tools at Harbor Freight for like $10.
arizona

Post by arizona »

Yep, its on their dime. I could understand 1 clip or two but all of the panels surrounding the radio, no. Just wondering if the same is going to happen to me when I remove it and send it in, lol.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Arizona,

Probably not... you are going to be alot more careful, because it's yours... they just yank, because they know their employer will replace it...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
gregc

Post by gregc »

It's not that hard, but I've taken my radio out several times. One thing to be careful is that they make sure to disconnect the antenna on the drivers side and the radio harness on the passenger side first. I broke the antenna connector on my original connector thinking it was located in the rear. When I pulled the radio out, the antenna connector snapped.
Solardude

Post by Solardude »

Hey Greg, any tips for just getting to the side of the radio on the 9c1
Everything I can find looks like a 9c3 console.
05 Pontiac GTO Torrid Red A4 w/red int, Procharger p1sc, Pacesetter Coated Headers,Aeroforce Gauges, H-pipe, DMH cutouts, Staggered Stern 18''s, Lots of Pedders/Lovells/Whiteline stuff. Tuned by Mike Norris

12 Chevy Caprice PPV 9c1 HSV Pentagon Replica 20''s, H&R Springs, HSV GTS Steering Wheel, Solo axle back, VCM Intake
gregc

Post by gregc »

Solardude wrote:Hey Greg, any tips for just getting to the side of the radio on the 9c1
Everything I can find looks like a 9c3 console.

Remove the plastic panels on each side of the center dash. They just pull right off. It easily snaps back in. On the drivers side of the radio, you'll be able to see the antenna connector. You have to push on a tab and pull to remove it. On the passenger side, if you lower the glove compartment after removing the panel, you'll be able to see the radio harness. It won't pull out just by pulling on it. Theres a lever that needs to be swung open from the bottom of the harness to get the harness to release from the radio.