Removing radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
CrashTestDummy

Re: Removing radio

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Multi-part, single-paragraph posts are almost as difficult to decipher as not having the information at all. I did want to review the information, though, so I split this one up into separate paragraphs to make the reading easier:

I just did mine after reading this entire thread. And I saw parts that were confusing and parts that needed clarification. Once I understood 'picture' language, I got it done.

My additions are; use trim 'bones' instead of screwdrivers. They are hard nylon trim removal tools. I got mine off Amazon for less than $10. They don't mar the surfaces.

Start with the bezels (long silver pieces) at the radio and go toward the doors. With the hook end of the bone, it was very easy and didn't break a one.
Then you have fun. I took off the interior kick panels from the console. There is a pull pin at the forward end and a screw in the console. Then the upper piece has a locating slide and comes right off.

Pull the console top (got a 9C1). And to get the center piece off, it will pull off but you have the left side with a protrusion into the gear shift. As mentioned by yargnits, if you can squeeze those white connectors at all, it almost disassembles itself.

Now, for the radio control head. Hint: have a really small screwdriver, pry from the front of the speaker screen at the top of the the dash. It will flip backwards and expose two screws. See the diagram that smwalker posted about the center radio speaker. I popped the screw out with a really long screwdriver. Taking the screen out is far easier.

Now as it says in the photos by smwalker, pull firmly. I didn't yank. But pull from the BOTTOM of the radio control head. It all swings up. And thanks to smwalker's diagram, I unscrewed the control head from the panel by removing the air vents first. Then three screws holding on.

Installation is reversed. Screw the control head on, the air vents on. Shove the head/panel back on. Screw it on and slip the screen back in. Put the console back together and put the trim bezels back on.

Disassembly was 2 hours and a little change. I took breaks. Reassembly was 30 minutes because I spoke with the mail man. I never had to take the gear shift lever apart. I did not have to take the glove box off. I was willing to wiggle the center piece back in.

Start on the left side though. I know that most of the photos were about the 9C3 but the 9C1 is almost identical except the console. It was amazing easy to put it back together. And not frustrating.

I had to put a new control head on as the department it came from placed their computers where the corner of the computer would slam into the touch screen on any bump. I got a new one off car-parts.com for a very good price.

I want to thank those who earlier posted their struggles. It's very humid down here on the Texas Gulf Coast this morning. That was the biggest struggle I had.

Thank you for posting, and yes, the heat and humidity these last couple of days have been bordering on 'summer-oppressive'. :shock:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
sdshawver

Post by sdshawver »

Sniff, Crash Test Dummy cleaned up my post. LOL. My wife always corrected by grammar. She said I just wrote in one very long run on sentence.

HOWEVER guys. Have someone look over your post to make sense. Don't remember who and it isn't important. But disconnecting the plug on the right side of the radio, it is a lever that flips out and up. And the plug falls out. It's not shown very well in that regard. 30 minutes of my time lost. No regrets.

To remove the antenna, get yourself a pair of bent needle nose pliers. Longer is better. They sneak right up to the antenna plug and pull it out.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Sorry, part of my day job is writing, reviewing and correcting complex change plans, so it's just in my blood, I guess. I sometimes go too far, using single-sentence paragraphs, but it does help when those you're communicating with only answer the first question they see in an email.

The info was good, it just hurt to read. I hope I've contributed something positive.

The note about the bent-nose pliers is a good one. I need to pull mine out to send to WMS, but it's yet another thing on the project list not done. :cry:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

After reading this entire thread, I can say with confidence that...

Aussies sure know how to complicate the most simple things. :x

I'll be taking mine out just before I put the car in storage. That way, no issues without HVAC and can take my time making the USB and Aux wires over the winter.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Just pulled mine. Took about an hour. What a PITA! I did OK, appliqués didn't get broken however that center speaker cover was a b!tch. Used one of the plastic pry tools to get at the front of it at one corner, pried it out, then the other front corner, then went along the sides, then broke the rear center standoff completely, not just the clip :x . Might try JB Weld on it. In all just broke 3 or 4 clips.

And now I've got defrost full hot and fan. Tomorrow it's going into storage so no biggie.

Thanks to all for the instructions here. Helped a lot!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

Nice trend following!