Need a sanity check for a dash cam install

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Sartorius

Need a sanity check for a dash cam install

Post by Sartorius »

I have a Blackvue DR900 2 channel dash cam. The front dash cam is 4K, the rear cam is 1080p. The rear camera cable plugs in to the front camera. There is a power cable from the front camera to a cigarette lighter plug.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

I also have Blackvue's Power Magic Pro module. Instead of plugging the camera power cable into the cigarette lighter, you plug it into the Power Magic Pro module. The module is then hard wired to a hot circuit, a switched circuit and a ground. This lets the camera keep running in parking mode when the car is turned off. It monitors the battery voltage and when it drops to a certain level, it shuts off.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro

My car has the dual batteries, RPO option K4S. Since the secondary battery is isolated from the primary battery (you can run the secondary battery down with your siren and lights and not run down the primary battery), would it be reasonable to connect the Power Magic Pro module to the secondary battery wiring cable in the passenger kick panel. It would still monitor the secondary battery voltage, but I could set the cut-off voltage as low as possible (without deep cycling the battery) and then my camera could run as long as possible?

As I understand it, there is an isolation relay to prevent the primary battery from discharging, but when the ignition is on, both batteries will charge. Is there a flaw in this plan that I'm not seeing?
2012 9C3 Detective
2015 GMC Acadia Denali
2010 Subaru Impreza
1986 Chevy K20 3/4 Ton
2007 Mazda 3 (sold)
2003 BMW 540i/6 speed manual (sold)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT (sold)
s/c'd cav

Re: Need a sanity check for a dash cam install

Post by s/c'd cav »

sounds viable , i was going to use my 2nd battery to run my audio system