can I just swap out the radio?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
jj55chevy

can I just swap out the radio?

Post by jj55chevy »

I am sure to several people this is a dumb question but I toiled over the searches and couldn't find a simple answer. I just bought a radio from a guy that parted out his 2011 PPV. The radio was reprogrammed by white auto and is unlocked and blue tooth compatible etc etc etc.....my question is: am I able to just remove the stock radio and plug in the new one? I thought I read somewhere that if you just go to take out the original radio it will lock it self up from some sort of a security system....or am I way off base here? I have not started working on it yet but I am working on getting my ducks in a row before I tackle it. another thing I want to take care of is hooking up the front speakers. According to the owners manual the wires for the front speakers are somewhere under the dash and just have to be plugged into the radio (they only hook up the rear speakers for the chimes). any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: can I just swap out the radio?

Post by smwalker »

I believe the VIN needs to be programmed into the silver box to work correctly. Theoretically you could do this yourself using GM's module programming website ($50 subscription) and a passthrough programming module that might cost you $500. But what it would force you to do is update the programming of the silver box with the GM software for that module part number. And of course Chris has already updated that with his custom software so you would lose all the work he had done.

For that reason I would say your only option if you want it to work is send him the silver box and have him update the VIN. If he has made updates to his software for the IQ perhaps he would install the newer version at that time as well. Hopefully he could cut you a deal an this since he already did the programming but really it seems like it is just as much work for him to do again so do not go b what say, only he can give you a quote.

But basically the rule is once you have Chris do his programming do not let the dealer touch your radio module again, because all they can do is mess things up.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

smwalker wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:21 am I believe the VIN needs to be programmed into the silver box to work correctly. Theoretically you could do this yourself using GM's module programming website ($50 subscription) and a passthrough programming module that might cost you $500. But what it would force you to do is update the programming of the silver box with the GM software for that module part number. And of course Chris has already updated that with his custom software so you would lose all the work he had done.

For that reason I would say your only option if you want it to work is send him the silver box and have him update the VIN. If he has made updates to his software for the IQ perhaps he would install the newer version at that time as well. Hopefully he could cut you a deal an this since he already did the programming but really it seems like it is just as much work for him to do again so do not go b what say, only he can give you a quote.

But basically the rule is once you have Chris do his programming do not let the dealer touch your radio module again, because all they can do is mess things up.
I was afraid of something like that happening.....does anyone want to buy a radio?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

What year is your car?

Ah looked at your history, a 2012 SO you got the good 4 channel silver box in your car already. So many of the 2013 guys want the 11 and 12 silver boxes because they have the rear channel outputs so you should have no problem selling it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

on your speaker issue while I have read about I am not sure anyone has ever detailed how they brought thiers back to stock on here. Let me see if I can find any info to help you. THis should probly be a post in it's self but lets see if we can work out some good info for people. OK first we have to describe what we are dealing with. YOu have a 2012 with the rear speakers working but nothing from the fronts. Check your SPID label to see if you have option WX7 because I can imagine even if a car did not get that option some upfitter could have known about the option and either cut into the speaker harness or maybe if this connecter X267 was in all cars may have tapped into it.

So here is the WX7 option described:

Here is the wiring Diagram:

So to make things confusing the above picture is from the technical manual (in the files section) and it lists the connector as P267 I would assume the "P" stands for Plug. But in the GM service manual electrical connectors are labeled with an "X" so subsequent diagrams will list it as X267.

First hurdle we come across is that the location of X267 does not have a picture of it's location, only a vague description:

So my hope is you might be able to find some cut wires and follow them and maybe they may end in a 8 cavity connector that is X267. If you find it get a picture of where it is.

Here is a pinout of X267, 8 wires so basically all the speaker wires running through it.

My hope is that is you found X267 what might be right next to it laying there is another similar plug that you could just swap out and that would give you 4 speakers. Because there is another suspicious plug that I think plays some part in this and that is X275. X275 is in the right kick panel and in my 11 9C3 there was nothing plugged into it. BUt I have a suspicion on cars with WX7 that is where the option plug from X267 plugs into to send audio to the rear speakers.

So here is the location of X275 (#18) along with a picture of it:

So if you have something plugged into X275 in the right kick panel then follow that harness and the should lead you to X267.I think.?? If you have nothing plugged into X275 and your fronts do not work but your rears do then I would suspect someone did a hack job and just cut the wire to tap into the front speaker circuits. But chances of that are lower I would say than actually having the WX7 option.

And here is something interesting. This s the WX7 option on an impala so I imagine the Caprice might be similar. Harness #1 pictured is for the speaker outputs. You could see how the factory plug in interrupted and the accessory harness gets tapped in. So once you unplug it all you would have to do is plug the factory plugs back together??
Last edited by smwalker on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

smwalker wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:36 am What year is your car?

Ah looked at your history, a 2012 SO you got the good 4 channel silver box in your car already. So many of the 2013 guys want the 11 and 12 silver boxes because they have the rear channel outputs so you should have no problem selling it.
actually. If I can not just put the the WAMS radio in without issues I will just leave the original radio in there. Ne sense in stirring up problems where there are none. Maybe I will focus my upgrades to seeing where to plug in the front speakers and try to get back what I have into the regret I may have bought.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well plenty of guys bought an extra one to send off to Chris so they would have tunes while the other one was at the shop getting programmed. So sending in Chris your extra programmed one while you listen to your unprogrammed one would be ideal. Then when you get it back programmed to your VIN just do the swap. Then sell your unprogrammed box to someone else. Just make sure the antenna connector is good on the one you bought. THat is the weak link no one has been able to get a hand on repairing yet.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

See post above for updated into. IF you can get some pics of X267 on yours and the wiring you come across maybe we can do up a stand alone post on correcting this situation in the 11-13's
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

smwalker wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:21 am I believe the VIN needs to be programmed into the silver box to work correctly. Theoretically you could do this yourself using GM's module programming website ($50 subscription) and a passthrough programming module that might cost you $500. But what it would force you to do is update the programming of the silver box with the GM software for that module part number. And of course Chris has already updated that with his custom software so you would lose all the work he had done.

white auto got back to me. they said they get 125 to do a transfer on this radio. I see from your posts that just plugging in a couple speaker wires is more than just reaching up under the dash ....I will go out there on a warmer day (I live in Minnesota) and take the panels off to see what i have in there. I appreciate the info, looks like I will be spending some quality time with the laptop out in the garage in the near future. thanks again!!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well $125 is what you would pay at the dealer anyhow so that's inline.

That X267 plug might be right under the dash and easy to get to I just do not recall anyone ever posting a pic of where it is?

I might go out to mine and see if I can find it. I am wondering even if WX7 is not listed on the SPID label if the connector for it is still there, wherever "there" is?? If it is there I see an opportunity for the 13 guys without a rear output channel to easily add an amp inline and get the rears working.

Good Luck and make sure and come back and post your findings.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White