USB cable for radio/reflashing and keys questions

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
generalford

USB cable for radio/reflashing and keys questions

Post by generalford »

So I made my own cable and...it seems that the radio does not respond to it.
here are a few things I have checked/noticed:

1.when an usb drive is inserted, the led light on the drive flashes, then it became solid.
2.no music playing/acknowledgement from the radio that an usb drive was inserted whatsoever
3.according to the "reflashing" instruction, when the usb with the files copied from the radio is inserted, the radio will show a "empty drive" message. this did not happen at anytime when I insert any usb drive
4.I checked the cable itself, the pins are all correct according to the pictures from the instruction. Also checked short from pin to pin and there is none. only thing is that i didn't connect the shield, but then the shield isn't even connected on the other end so I think it's unlikely to be the issue.
5.of course when I try to reflash my radio anyways under these conditions it got me stuck and if I disconnect everything/restart/pull battery it now shows "awaiting programming" message. radio is not working at this time but it will program again it just does not pick up the usb drive that has been inserted.

So...should i use another cable? if not then replace the radio? what do you guys think?

Also question about our keys...I have started my car with just the blade piece. from the forum it looks like there is a transponder somewhere in the key and will have to be registered for starting(?) but is there actually immobilizer in ppvs?

thanks in advance
GTPprix

Re: USB cable for radio/reflashing and keys questions

Post by GTPprix »

The only way to get this working is to ship the radio to us for our custom software; GM finally took action to keep people from killing radios.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

GTPprix wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am GM finally took action to keep people from killing radios.
What did they do Chris? Take that option out of the programming menu?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

> Also question about our keys...I have started my car with just the blade piece.
> from the forum it looks like there is a transponder somewhere in the key and
> will have to be registered for starting(?) but is there actually immobilizer in ppvs?

The transponder chip is in the black plastic part of the blade assembly if you seperate it from the buttons. PPV's do have a system of Chip identification. What is not clear though is if there is actually an immobilization that takes place.

I have started my 2011 with just the metal key blade (no plastic attached) and got an "engine immobilized" message but the car ran and drive fine. ANother user reported he got the message and could not take it out of park. So not clear if it is active on every car. The theory goes since most departments cruisers all share the same key profile so everyone can start every cruiser. THis is especially important in an emergency situation where someone might need to hop behind the wheel of someone else's cruiser but all they have is the key for their own. They would not care if a warning message came up but they would be highly pissed if the car did not work to complete their mission. ANd that mission could mean the life of someone.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White