Aux battery removal - weight

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Aux battery removal - weight

Post by Navy Lifer »

Not sure if this has already been posted.

Aux battery (series 48 - 2011) weighs 41#

Complete removal of Aux mount/wiring & cable to main battery weighs 9.5#

Not sure if I can "feel" it, but 50# is 50#!

Installed new main battery at the same time - both batteries were original, working well into their 8th year.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Aux battery removal - weight

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It is, and that aux battery tray, hold down and relays certainly seems more than 10#! I'm kind of surprised. I have a spare in the shop, but I've never weighed it. All of it sure weighs a fair amount. Thanks for the info.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Is there a walkthrough of this somewhere? I'd like to ditch my AUX battery, but I'm only used to dealing with them under the hood on trucks. Anything special on these?
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

something may be here on Forums already....bottom line is to make sure the hot (red) wire on the left (main) battery is disconnected--I would do that first.

After that, there's not much to it--remove the battery, un-bolt the battery holddown & mounting bracket and the aux relay assembly, and it all comes out.

Of course, the rear compartment molded "carpet" has to be removed or at least folded down out of the way for access.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Does the Aux battery supply any surplus power if the main battery gets drained? I have a Vyncs tracker in my 13 that will drain the battery in about 3 weeks if I don't drive and charge up the battery. That would be the only reasons to leave an extra 50# in the trunk for no other reason. I'm sure the must be an isolator or diode in that system to only keep it charged for the upfitting requirements or does it aid in starting to?
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Capeasy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 am Does the Aux battery supply any surplus power if the main battery gets drained? I have a Vyncs tracker in my 13 that will drain the battery in about 3 weeks if I don't drive and charge up the battery. That would be the only reasons to leave an extra 50# in the trunk for no other reason. I'm sure the must be an isolator or diode in that system to only keep it charged for the upfitting requirements or does it aid in starting to?
AUX BATT is only for the added accessories , but you can rewire it to be in the main system , or used as a jumper battery
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on taking a trip and just trying to lighten up the car a bit if it didn't affect anything in the oe system.
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

s/c'd cav wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:20 pm
Capeasy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 am Does the Aux battery supply any surplus power if the main battery gets drained? I have a Vyncs tracker in my 13 that will drain the battery in about 3 weeks if I don't drive and charge up the battery. That would be the only reasons to leave an extra 50# in the trunk for no other reason. I'm sure the must be an isolator or diode in that system to only keep it charged for the upfitting requirements or does it aid in starting to?
AUX BATT is only for the added accessories , but you can rewire it to be in the main system , or used as a jumper battery
wait, so these batteries aren't installed in parallel?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

They are in parallel when the car is running. The positive cable circuit is opened up when the isolation relay on the aux battery bracket is de-energized. You should head a clunk in the trunk when you turn the key on.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

So... Does the car use both batteries to start and run?