Aux battery removal - weight

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
s/c'd cav

Re: Aux battery removal - weight

Post by s/c'd cav »

Lord Vader wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 am So... Does the car use both batteries to start and run?
answered 101 times now

NO , the 2nd batt is aux equipment only
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Sanford wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 pm They are in parallel when the car is running. The positive cable circuit is opened up when the isolation relay on the aux battery bracket is de-energized. You should head a clunk in the trunk when you turn the key on.
This is why I asked.

I saw some patrol cars that have a switch that combines the batteries for emergency starts, I guess. I just trying to figure out how to do that.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

RV's commonly do this with the coach & house batteries, the ones I've seen either use a marine-type battery tie switch or a starter-type solenoid tied to a switch on the dash for momentary action. You're going to need some current-carrying capacity no matter how you cut it, the question becomes where & how to route the bridging cable... and how you want to switch the bridge on & off.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

elc32955 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:25 pm RV's commonly do this with the coach & house batteries, the ones I've seen either use a marine-type battery tie switch or a starter-type solenoid tied to a switch on the dash for momentary action. You're going to need some current-carrying capacity no matter how you cut it, the question becomes where & how to route the bridging cable... and how you want to switch the bridge on & off.
what he said , plus a switch like drag racers use to cut their batteries off is good enough to use

its a simple enough job , run a short cable from the pos terminal to the switch , then another short cable to the terminal where the cable comes from the main battery to the aux battery , mount the switch and you are done
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If you use a switch, my preference is a Cole Hersee. Those are generally the gold standard, I've used the imported stuff before and had one physically break on me. I don't have the grip of Hercules, the d*mn thing just broke. Metal fatigue from the occasional throwing of the switch. Sometimes the trade-off for cost vs. quality is just not worth the hassle.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I agree with the Cole-herse recommendation. I have a constant-duty solenoid on a race car I have.

I'm gonna look at the PD cars and see what they used. I'm trying to get my AUX battery replaced under warranty. Once I have it back I'll mess with it.