55w H11 highbeams

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
iefbr14

55w H11 highbeams

Post by iefbr14 »

Does anyone know what reaction the BDC will have if I switch out the original 55w H11 high-beams and put in 100w ones? That would be an increase of 4.333 amps draw per side (from 4.6amp to 8.3amp)

The wiring looks very thin...GM trying to save every strand of copper?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: 55w H11 highbeams

Post by smwalker »

The BCM does not see the voltage it only turns on the relay so not big whoop there. Risk is with the wiring and melting the capsule. At $500 bucks each I would not take the risk of melting anything in there.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
iefbr14

Post by iefbr14 »

Thanks. Doing anything to this car takes a lot more thinking that working on less electronically monitored cars of the past. That thin wiring feeding the headlights scares me. I guess I could use the thin wire feed to trigger a second relay with heavier wires, but that would be a mess.

During the last month of my GM warranty, GM replaced both headlights, charging themselves $1100 each (list price). The headlights were pitting on the inside, which I stated were defects and not the result of owner abuse (such as driving through a sandstorm).

At first the assistant service manager told me I had to go buy some chemical at Chemical Bros to remove the pitting. He rubbed hard with a wet rag, and a small bit did come off. He was removing the grime that everyone gets on the outside. He was not convinced the pitting was inside. I'm surprised with his management position that he would turn away work that GM would cover.

Anyway, I talked to the service manager and mentioned that the pitting is on the inside, and I wasn't going to Chemical Bros, but if the dealership feels that's the cure, then the dealership should be making a trip there. However, if the dealership feels that this does not compromise my night driving safety, then to respond to my complaint with 'functioning as designed' 'normal wear and tear' 'no safety hazard'. He refused to put those conclusions in writing, but he did put new headlights on.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

If you do not want to go to an aftermarket HID or LED bulb product you can easily just install a pair of H9 halogen bulbs which are just a slightly higher watts than the H11 and fit the connector. This is a well documented swap which has been done on all kinds of cars for years with no ill effects from the extra draw and does have a noticeable brighter whiter light output. I put a set on my caprice about 4 years ago, zero problem and very clean white light for about $10
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

If you're concerned about the current draw across the headlight harness, you can also use it to power relays that will transfer power from the battery to the lights via larger gauge wires. It's a common update, and while kits may not be available for the Caprice, there are some for other vehicles like the GM truck line that should satisfy your concerns.

I went the LED route, and am 200% pleased with the outcome. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

@crashtestdummy, which ones did you get?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I got Opt7 brand:

http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-led-headlights/

I am COMPLETELY satisfied with them, and have them on two vehicles, our '12 9C1, and our '02 2500HD. I wanted to get them on our '10 PPV, but Tahoes have severely-limited space behind the head light module making fitment impossible without cutting up the radiator support.

I'm thinking about trying some of the Supernova LEDs on the Tahoe, just haven't pulled the trigger yet:

https://headlightrevolution.com/led-hea ... ght-bulbs/
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I have those same style LED bulbs on our subaru which has a different setup for the dust cap which has a center hole that the rear fan portion of the LED sticks out of allowing it to both seal the headlight and also vent itself. How are you dealing with the caprice dust caps which are a completely sealed unit and dont allow for this? If your answer is that you are not using them at all how does the headlight stay dry inside?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The cap goes right back on. I _think_ some have drilled a hole in their cap for some ventilation, but I have yet to have any issues with a 'sealed' module. My commute used to involve 1+hour drives in the dark in the morning, so the headlights were on for quite a while. That includes 80+degree F southeast Texas mornings.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?