LED Replacement Bulbs

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Tom Slick

LED Replacement Bulbs

Post by Tom Slick »

Has anyone tried out upgrading their corner lights, tailights, etc. with LED bulbs yet?

I'm thinking about getting a pair or two to try out... particularly back-up lights and taillights...

Anyone used a particular brand of LED lights on any other vehicles?

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: LED Replacement Bulbs

Post by Navy Lifer »

Did you ever get the Holden WM LED tail lamps?
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Nope... guy never replied back to me after I emailed him that I'd take them...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

A few years ago, I ordered LED replacement bulbs from http://www.vleds.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (using their eBay store which is now defunct).

I liked the bulbs they sent at the time. They were high output radial bulbs (they called them "high flux SMT" at the time). I am still using those bulbs today (none have failed). Unlike other bulbs that were too dim, the ones they sent were as bright (and evenly distributed) as a normal filament bulb. They were the only ones that worked well in older cars (like my 1995 Caprice, 1969 Dodge Charger, and C30 truck) as long as you changed out the bimetallic flasher for a solid-state flasher. Of course the PPV will be a different story electrically.

They weren't cheap though, I want to say they were like $20 for each bulb (they usually sell in pairs). There may have been a discount for a larger order. And some of the ones they offer now are insanely expensive. But browse around and see. It seems like everyone and their brother is selling LED replacement lights on eBay now, so don't take my recommendations. Just shop around. The most important thing is to compare the stock bulb lumen output with the LED lumen output. Also make sure they put out light in a 360 degree radius to deal with the type of lens on the PPV.

Also remember that with LED bulbs, it is better to buy the bulb color output to match the lens. So if your tail light is red, buy a bulb with red output. If it is an amber lens, buy an amber bulb. Don't buy a white LED and put it behind a red tail light lens and expect it to work like an incandescent. It will work, but it will not be as bright and vivid as a bulb of the same color as the lens.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

My setup is as follows:

- large white LED 194 parkers from this supplier, easy to change but I recommend buying spares as they are inexpensive, though occasionally will burn out.

- rear licence plate light and mirror puddle lamps of this type.

- reversing lights: Common eBay-spec high power CREE bulbs with extra SMD surround lighting, similar to this.

- rear amber turn signals, Vleds Triton V3. I made the following video about the issues with installation which rendered one of them useless, however a more recent update has addressed the bugs of the original. I have one original, and one newer model and can now recommend them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ0xI8qdUEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gavatronx9

Post by gavatronx9 »

I know this post is really old but while I'm in here I might as well throw my two cents in I guess. I've owned my 2012 Caprice for about 2 years now and when I decided that I was going to start converting things over to LED I really really started doing a lot of research. One of the things that I noticed with the Caprice is is that the BCM gets all weird and stuff when it has to deal with LEDs because it wants to overcharge line voltage going to the light. With that being said you have to get the right led to work with your ppv or you have to wire a resistance wire in line. Well wiring extra stuff in line sucks and it's a lot easier just to Plug and Play so the high beams and the low beams that I've been using for my Caprice have actually been made by the same company and I'll leave the link in here that goes straight to the Amazon page.

FAHREN H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, 60W 18000LM Ultra Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof, Pack of 2 https://a.co/d/hILdvrT

I hope this helps and trust me these lights are really really bright
See you out there!!
gavatronx9

Post by gavatronx9 »

For the 194 marker lights up front. I used a set of
Canbus error free 194 LASFIT

They come in a different variety of colors like red blue green pink I thought I saw purple yellow and Amber. And here's the link to the Amazon page for these 194 bulbs that will fit up front as your marker lights above the headlights. And they work really well and yes they are really bright.

Limited-time deal: LASFIT 194 168 T10 2825 W5W LED Bulb - Amber Yellow - Canbus Error Free, Non-Polarity 400LM Extremely Bright for Side Marker Map Doors, 12-24V (Pack of 2) https://a.co/d/78vGReX
See you out there!!