ISO Solder Guide to AUX cables on IQ Radio

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
NovaPPV

ISO Solder Guide to AUX cables on IQ Radio

Post by NovaPPV »

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a simple guide to soldering some aux cables into the IQ radio to get the back-up camera working post WAMS.

I've seen some of the guides on here, but they're not specific enough for my dumb brain.

Thanks again everybody.
camrat68

Re: ISO Solder Guide to AUX cables on IQ Radio

Post by camrat68 »

What is it that you're having trouble with specifically?

The AUX cables just plug in to the antenna side of the radio about two inches to the rear of the car and 3/4" down. It can only plug into one spot. USB connections have to be made on the passengers side at the big connector.
The DVD and Back Up Cam cables get soldered to the lowest circuit board but you need to see if you have the 20 pin module in place first. All three silver boxes I've looked at had the 20 pin connector under white tape below the main harness connector on the passengers side of the radio.

I just did this on two WAMS modified silver boxes one of which is installed and working fine. I have to wait a week or so to install the other but I can take pics or walk you through it as needed.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
NovaPPV

Post by NovaPPV »

Hey Jim,

I have my radio apart and have identified the pins I need to work on for the back-up camera. I don't care about the DVD video signal.

I have an AUX cord I bought.

I have a soldering iron kit I bought.

I'm just trying to figure out how exactly to solder on the AUX cable onto pints 3/4.

When I cut the AUX cable and pull out the wires, I don't really know what part goes onto the negative pin (3) and which part goes onto the positive pin (4). And then even further the ground component.
Attachments
IMG_6454.jpg
IMG_6454.jpg (546.25 KiB) Viewed 10246 times
IMG_6453.jpg
IMG_6453.jpg (466.56 KiB) Viewed 10246 times
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

LOL! I had to resort to google maps to find your red circles in picture 2. Resizing would make it a little easier to see. :D

The white (neg) to #3 position and the red (+) to #4 position. The aux cables have a shield wire that's stranded and wrapped around the foil that's around the main stranded wire. The shield wire and foil can both be trimmed and discarded.

I cut the connectors off of a resistor because my hands shake too much to hold the wire in place and handle the wire, solder and iron at the same time. I just cut the resistor end to 3/8" in length and bent it in the middle at a 45* angle to keep it in place long enough to solder it.

With that said, we HAVE NOT tested the backup camera portion yet because I haven't decided which camera to go with.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
NovaPPV

Post by NovaPPV »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply and the good laugh! Sorry about the size of the photos.

So you're saying use the entire white cable for the #3 and the entire red cable for the #4? I only have 1 plugin coming off of the backup camera, so wouldn't the red or white aux cord be dormant anyways?

Also, what to do about the ground?

I feel so stupid asking these questions.
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

My understanding is that if you connect the white cable to position #3 then that is your ground for the backup camera and the red cable connected to position #4 would be your positive cable.

Honestly though, I'm not sure if the White Neg cable is necessary based on those that actually had the 20 pin module in place and connected a ground to the case instead. I went ahead and put it in because I didn't want to have to remove it again. If I didn't need it then no loss.
Jim Chesnutt
NovaPPV

Post by NovaPPV »

OK I'll give it a go and see what happens!
Oldblue68chevy

Post by Oldblue68chevy »

I think you have the wrong rca connectors. You will need the female connector as most cameras will have the male end.

Next you only need one of the connectors. An rca connector has the signal snd ground built ino it. When you cut the wire you will see there is a center wire which is the signal and a second wire between the layers of the wire.

When i did mine i went to walmart and they carry a rca y adapter for 5 bucks or so.
2011 PPV 9C3
NovaPPV

Post by NovaPPV »

Where do you solder the signal line then onto the 20 pin board?
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

camrat68 wrote:My understanding is that if you connect the white cable to position #3 then that is your ground for the backup camera and the red cable connected to position #4 would be your positive cable.

Honestly though, I'm not sure if the White Neg cable is necessary based on those that actually had the 20 pin module in place and connected a ground to the case instead. I went ahead and put it in because I didn't want to have to remove it again. If I didn't need it then no loss.
I have the 20 pin connector and have the negative grounded to the case of the 20 pin connector. If you have the connector, the negative pins are on the inside, you can't reach them easily, so it would be hard to solder to them. But the metal case around the connector, and the negative go to the same ground. I checked with the ohm meter, and there was no resistance from the negative pin to the metal case around the connector so putting the negative on the case is as as good as going to the pin.

Where you don't have the connector at all, you would still need to solder the negative wire to where the negative pin would be.