Factory Remote Start

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
2014ltdltz

Factory Remote Start

Post by 2014ltdltz »

Question from a non-owner: Did any of the Caprice PPVs come from the factory with remote start? Was it standard or an available option? If so, what year(s)? Thanks.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Factory Remote Start

Post by Navy Lifer »

The remote start option (RPO BTV) was available from the first year. It may have become standard later, but I don't recall for sure--someone here will know.

More here: https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=21&t=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Factory Remote Start

Post by smwalker »

From the ordering guides Available Option in the 11-13

Became standard in 14
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Re: Foctory Remote Start

Post by Mooseman »

It is available by reflashing the BCM and RKE modules with the option enabled, along with the door activated dome light if you wish. I just did it using my Tech 2 and an ACDelco TDS $40 subscription for my VIN. Now I just need a new remote with the remote start button.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Not mentioned in your comments--if doing things as the production/factory installation calls for--is the required hood latch position switch. Remote start won't work without it.

WAMS had to do a massage of the BCM, since GM refused to provide a code patch for the local tech to install to enable remote start, which remained non-functional even with the things you mentioned. Unless something has changed, my recollection is that it's not possible to pull the BCM code for "with" RPO BTV from another BCM and load it to (your) BCM, since it's VIN-matched. Chris White had to work his magic, since GM would not play.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

That is the caveat I forgot to mention is that I have not yet tested the remote start after the flashing. I can confirm I was successful in flashing the BCM to enable the door activated dome light so I would assume the remote start would also work. I can't see why it wouldn't after installing the hood switch and getting the proper remote. There were two or possiblythree modules for the remote start IIRC: The BCM, VATS and RKE modules.

Dealers won't play nice because such options are big bucks. In 2008, when I bought a new Montana van, they charged me $600 to install cruise control when all it needed was the switch stalk in the steering wheel since it's already programmed in the PCM. The wiring and connector were already there! I only learned of this much later :x
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Mooseman revisited this thread tonight when someone asked me about it. Were you ever able to get your remote start working after flashing the BCM?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Smwalker, in my Remote Start adventure thread. I did the same process.

Moose and I talked quite a bit about it.

Bought new fobs, paired and matched, bought 40 dollar TIS subscription, flashed RKE and Immobilizer modules for yes remote start. Using VXdiag. Bought new hood latch with connector.

Car flashed signal lights like it was trying to start.

After WAMS "massaged" the BCM and I got it back.

Remote start worked. Performed brake pedal relearn and reshot the Primary SDM code for airbag or SIRS and I was done. To clear Christmas lights.

Cost was less than 500 total, "factory" remote start achieved.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

AH that is a good thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3098#p23985

So let me get this straight. WAMS takes care of the BCM

So to get the other programming of the RKE and Immobilizer you have two choices:
1. Do it yourself
2. Have a dealer activate the option

So we can't do it without WAMS but WAMS cannot do every part of the process. Right?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Beyond reprogramming the modules I could using my Tech 2 and TDS subscription, I never did try to get it to work after seeing Fudge's adventure and expenses. Didn't even get a remote. To me, the cost and trouble of getting my BCM reprogrammed by WAMS was not worth it, especially since I don't drive it in winter.