AGM battery

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
iefbr14

AGM battery

Post by iefbr14 »

I have no experience with AGM batteries.

Does anyone know many years the AGM battery expected to last?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: AGM battery

Post by smwalker »

Will of course largely depend on the application but in many of the mercedes that have them they get their factory AGM replaced at about 6-8 years old. BUt those are also pretty huge batteries. Safe to say 5 year life is common for a typical AGM. Only seeing about 3 years out replacement lead acid batteries these days. Of course my experience is in CA where they don't allow all the lead in them they used to. Man the factory lead acid batteries in imports last like 5-7 years, no limits on lead where they make those.

And Stay away from the Optima spiral type batteries, crap in my opinion.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
iefbr14

Post by iefbr14 »

I was hanging around at Sam's Club killing time. I looked up Caprice batteries because I didn't have anything else to do waiting at their tire center.

2014+ uses a smaller battery (still AGM)
for both 2011-2013 and 2014+, the same part number in traditional lead-acid shows higher specifications (CCA) and much higher RC (reserve capacity). And the traditional one was $40 cheaper. When I eventually do need one, I will probably go with the non-AGM.

Sam's Club sells Duracell brand batteries. The trademark Duracell is used under license, the actual manufacturer is East Penn Mfg...not Johnson Controls (Interstate, ACDelco, Pep Boys, AutoZone, Motorcrap, Honda, just about everyone else).

I think I will prefer East Penn. EP is the company that purchased the rights to ACDelco battery manufacturing rights. On certain models, the battery top is the familiar Delco top (no removable covers in which to water check- a Johnson dead giveaway).

At Sam's Club. both the AGM and flooded battery have a 36 month replacement warranty, so there's another non-advantage to go AGM.

ACDelco themselves don't sell a battery with more than a 48 month warranty (36 month free replacement). Those remaining 12 months are nearly worthless since the replacement pro-rate is based on artificially and crazily
high MSRP.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Noticed that Sam's Club is offering $25 "instant savings" on their Duracell line, until Dec 24.

My 2011 PPV still has the original batteries, was thinking it might be a good time to replace the original, and get rid of the aux setup.

Listings are for AGM, but their conventional batteries are also available--although the promotion/savings is for the AGM batteries only.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-grp- ... oduct_1_14

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/auto-grou ... roduct_1_6