Headlight bulb replacement instructions?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
v8suprcapric

Headlight bulb replacement instructions?

Post by v8suprcapric »

Sorry, search was a bit overwhelming with all the upgrade talk, I'm just wanting to know simply how to replace the bulbs and hoping that I'm overthinking this task and over researching because I'm under the impression you have to take the whole front fascia off? There must be a simple way?
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
xcidmigs

Re: Headlight bulb replacement instructions?

Post by xcidmigs »

bulbs you can get to from the rear, very tight, might need the airbox out on the driver side but its possible.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

As stated, driver side I can get easily when removing airbox. Passenger side? I don't see many ways besides pulling front bumper then headlight. When I have to mount my HID ballast I don't see another way. How convenient :lol:
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

On the passenger side the coolant tank inlet tube just pops straight off to give you some room in there. Can also unplug the wig wag module if you got it to get some of the harnesses out of the way. Can also disconnect the cooling fan harnesses and move them out of the area. Still tight though. IF you got big hands consider removing the bumper and capsules to really give you a straight shot at em.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

First picture is mounting location and fastener circled for HID balast. Follow white wire in second picture, that is positive to HID bulb. Can be reached easily by removing the coolant fill tube, just pull straight up. Third picture is balast mount driver side, tight fit not to interfere with air box. Existing hole (circled) but needed larger washers to make it work. Forth picture is location is driver side light bulb, but you'll need to remove the airbox. Just not worth the frustration of keeping the box attached.
Attachments
pass side balast.jpg
pass side balast.jpg (203.47 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
pass side hl.jpg
pass side hl.jpg (255.07 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
driver balast.jpg
driver balast.jpg (219.68 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
driver hl.jpg
driver hl.jpg (155.25 KiB) Viewed 15086 times
2016 Caprice
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks for pics. I have some weird module on the back of my passenger light that severely cuts down on space, so that might be why I'm having issues. The coolant tube startled me when it came out that easy the first time I tried to remove it as well :lol:

Also, do you have the bulb cover on the back your headlights with the HIDs in place? If not, any issues thus far or nope?

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

Thanks for replies! I will attempt to tackle this this week.
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

lastcall190 wrote:Also, do you have the bulb cover on the back your headlights with the HIDs in place? If not, any issues thus far or nope?
The car was purchased without the passenger side low beam dust cover. I bought a replacement off GMpartsdirect for about 8 plus shipping but turns out they, and probably all vendors, have the PN switched with the highbeam cover. So the wrong part arrived. I'm hesitant to purchase the correct part number at $25 plus shipping. So, the passenger side still has no dust shield. Its only a matter of time before some bugs are attracted to the light and make it their burial ground. So far no water and I don't notice any more dust compared to the driver side.

The Driver side has a the dust shield. I drilled a hole for the HID kit supplied grommet. I was impatient and used a slightly oversize whole saw. The grommet is loose and I might silicone it.

I purchased this kit:
DDM Plus HID Kit, 35W, H11, 4500K
Bulb Type: H11
Wattage: 35W
Bulb Color: 4500K
DDMPlus35W.H11.4500K $59.95

The cut off looks great with the stock projector glass. I might upload a picture. Interestingly, I could not adjust the passenger side beam correctly when it had the original incandescent bulb. Even replaced the bulb with a new one. It was out of focus. However, the focus became sharper after swapping the HID bulb. I'm very happy with the night time visibility. Stock was atrocious.

The color is great. Its what I've used on my BMWs. However, it doesnt match the white output of the LED corner lights. The LEDs are JDM astar 3576 (i think but check PN) that were left over from another project. Had intended to use Amber LED's from Osram, but those sucked. I've had no success with Osram highway approved LEDs.
Last edited by SSpeedracer on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Caprice
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

I've got LEDs throughout, including license plates and front signals, interior and trunk. I had problems with glove box and tail lights so they remain stock.
Attachments
Amazing LED reverse lights <br />LasFit White T15
Amazing LED reverse lights
LasFit White T15
insanely bright rev.jpg (98.56 KiB) Viewed 15044 times
HID cutoff. Not ideal picture because headlight is too close to garage so its overexposing picture.
HID cutoff. Not ideal picture because headlight is too close to garage so its overexposing picture.
cutoff.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 15045 times
DDM Hids with the JDMastar white LED corners.
DDM Hids with the JDMastar white LED corners.
hid led corner.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 15045 times
Camera auto reduced aperture for clear shot. Way more light than this in reality.
Camera auto reduced aperture for clear shot. Way more light than this in reality.
insanely bright rev 2.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 15045 times
2016 Caprice
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Nice. No passenger side cover eh? I thought so too on mine and went through the same BS as you, ended up getting the high beam cover with the P/N I provided, and didn't want to buy the full size one for 3x the price. My cover was dropped below the headlight and had just been sitting there for what looks like years. Maybe yours is in the same spot :lol:

I purchased damn near the same HID kit as you as well. I put amber markers in however so color matching wasn't as much a priority. Thanks for part numbers and pics of your LEDs, car looks good (I love those reverse LEDs).

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI