Rear Speaker Question

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
bluethunder

Rear Speaker Question

Post by bluethunder »

My 2013 has no rear speakers, Is this common and do you think the wires are hidden someplace. ? I cant seem to locate them. My 2012 did have rear speakers.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Rear Speaker Question

Post by smwalker »

Are you sure it doesn't? Have you pulled the door panel to check?

Most likely what you have is a head unit the does not have a rear channel. But usually the speakers and wires are there. GM, Go figure.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Note that the Caprice has no speakers in the rear package shelf, but in the rear door panels. Later models of the Caprice have solid door panels with no speaker grill. Some have discovered they actually have working speakers in the back, but you can't hear them because of the door panels.

But depending on what the upfitter did back there to fit perp seats/K9 shelf, etc., you may not have any speakers remaining. They can also be there but disconnected, or, perhaps not reconnected.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

My 2016 has OEM speakers but no door skin grills. The headunit provides line level to these speakers because the PPV headunits are missing the rear speaker amplifier chip. You can test for speakers by adjusting headunit fade entirely to rear and cranking up the volume. Some sound will be heard at rear doors.

I'm contemplating splicing the rear speaker output into a small amplifier feeding back to the rear speakers and an additional amp/subwoofer system in trunk. But once I go in, I'll want better speakers all around. Slippery slope.
2016 Caprice
ejf2461

Post by ejf2461 »

2013's Do have rear speakers in the rear doors. The Shitty Head Unit does not have speaker finals for the rear speakers. My Chevrolet Dealer showed me and hooked the front channels finals to the rear speakers and they came alive. Cheapest way to make them come alive is how a decent car audio shop install line level convertors and install an aftermarket 4/5 channel amp. The stock head unit doesn't put out much power anyways. The stock speakers with a Nice Amplifier makes it sound 100% better and louder.
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Good information! I can build engines but I'm completely in the dark when it comes to car audio.

Can speakers be added to the rear deck instead of using the rear door speakers provided you dealt with the rear speaker line output?

I'm just trying to get enough information to be able to have an intelligent conversation with a competent stereo shop. Right now the best I can manage is "Stereo no work right, make better." :P

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

you can cut out the factory speaker stampings in the rear shelf and use a 8" round speaker, I did that just for subs but you could do full range there, big job but it sounds good