Interior chime in Instrument Panel, is it controlled by BCM

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Sanford

Interior chime in Instrument Panel, is it controlled by BCM

Post by Sanford »

I have a 2011 that I am slowly working the bugs out from ~100,000 miles of traffic enforcement service. From the info that I could find on a G8 forum, the noise maker for the seat belt, turn signal and the key in the ignition is in the instrument panel. What I am trying to find out is if it is controlled by the BCM or something else. What are the odds that the noise maker was disabled or turned off via BCM programming? There are some spliced wires that are coming off of the BCM, but since I have not acquired a FSM yet, I don't know what the wires go to. I do have a spare instrument panel out of a 2013 that I could rob the noise maker out of, but I hate tearing things apart when I don't know if it will fix the problem.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Interior chime in Instrument Panel, is it controlled by

Post by smwalker »

I actually thought the noise came out of the speakers. That's why when people add amps they need to tune out that ding sound because it is loud with an amp. Will see what I can find in the service manual. Sure the BCM commands the signal but I bet the head unit handles the generation of it.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Huh, IPC (Insturment Panel Cluster) resonsoble for all of it it seems. Mentions internal speaker, internal to the IPC?

Audible Warnings Description and Operation

Audible warnings alert the driver of a vehicle to a fault or failure in the vehicle operating systems. Audible warnings are also used to reinforce functions performed and information displayed in the multi function display (MFD) of the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). The audible warnings are generated by the (IPC) and sound via an internal speaker. The IPC receives requests for audible warnings from various control systems in the vehicle over the GMLAN network. If the IPC receives multiple audible warning requests, the audible warning with the highest priority will sound. The IPC issues audible warnings to reinforce the following conditions:

A warning indicator or multi function display (MFD) animation is present on the IPC
A MFD menu selection is made
Reminder or programmed threshold is confirmed
A system function check is performed
Each audible warning has a defined frequency, duration, decay and cycle repeat. The following lists the types of audible warnings:

Overspeed Chime
Underspeed Chime
Reminder Chime
General Warning Chime
Confirmation Beep Chime
There are two types of audible warning chimes:

Internal audible warnings which the IPC generates in order to reinforce a certain vehicle condition associated with an IPC indicator or MFD display.
External Chimes which the IPC generates in response to a requests received via the GMLAN network from other control systems in the vehicle.
The following IPC indicators and MFD displays will generate an audible warning:

Low fuel
Very low fuel
Low oil level
Low oil pressure
Low coolant
Brake fail (low fluid)
Park brake reminder
ABS fault
MIL (malfunction indicator lamp)
Alternator fault
Battery saver mode ON
Reset service reminder
Airbag fault
Seat belt reminder (Driver)
Safety mode active
Turn Indicator (click-clack sound)
Hazard (click-clack sound)
Reduced engine power
Overspeed warning
Service vehicle soon
Engine temperature hot
Engine immobilised
Transmission hot - idle engine
Contact dealer
Replace battery in remote
Check engine
Service reminder
Front park assist
Tyre pressure system fault
Check tyre pressure
Automatic headlight levelling failed
Low washer fluid (Caprice only)
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Eh Scratch that, by internal I think they meant internal to the car because under Chime malfunction diagnosis it says:

Chime Malfunction
Diagnostic Instructions
Circuit/System Description
The radio generates the audible warnings. The instrument cluster, the body control module (BCM), the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) or the object alarm module request audible warnings via Low Speed CAN-Bus signals.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Steve,
Thank you for the info.

Just about forgot there is an IP self test when you go into engineering mode. I tried the self test on the wife's car and the chime makes a steady tone as long as it is in self test mode. The chime makes no noise on my car when I tried the IP self test.

Looks like I may see how hard it will be to swap out the chime from my spare instrument panel or figure out a way to test the chime off of the circuit board. I can live without the chime, but would be nice to have if I let one of my daughters borrow the car while I am working on one of theirs, since they are not the best about looking at gauges.

I will post my findings, which may be a while, since this problem is not high on my list of things to do on the car or around the house.

David C.
Sanford

Re: Interior chime in Instrument Panel, is it controlled by BCM

Post by Sanford »

Picked up another car from the same agency as the first one I posted about the chime not working on the instrument cluster. The chances of two different cars with chimes that failed from the same agency seem to be a pretty low. I decided to pull the instrument panel on the last purchase and lo and behold the chime/speaker was missing.
I attempted to pull the speaker off of a spare cluster, but that did not turn out too well, so now I have to see if I can solder a couple of speaker wires about the size of a human hair in attempt to use my spare. I found replacement speakers on the internet, but it would have to come out of Germany. It looks like the maker of the speaker is out of South Korea. The speaker number that I had planned on using out of the spare cluster is a Unique US3750B. I found some slightly smaller diameter speakers on Mouser that I may try.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Gonna need a picture of that!!

I can see an agency disabling that though. Want to creep up on a robbery call at 3 in the morning and you open your door and hear DING DING !!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I will try and get a couple of pictures posted Monday.
I can see them wanting to be able to get a door open without having a chime going off in a dark alley. The city probably spec’ed all of their cars with the chime turned off
I was told that the first car was used as a traffic enforcement vehicle (unmarked). The recent purchase was a PR officers car. I don’t think it was used for any type of patrol/undercover use as it has 98000 miles and only has ~3600 hours total and ~1100 idle hours.

David
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Here is a picture of the back of two instrument panels. The top one has the chime/speaker removed. I attempted to remove the chime/speaker from the black holder on the bottom cluster and that did not turn out like I hoped. I did not want to remove the needles from the gauges, which would have allowed me separate the cluster and de-solder the black holder from the circuit board. I re-installed the non-chimed cluster back in the car and will drive it that way it is until I can locate/acquire a suitable chime or decide to use my other spare cluster for a donor chime.

Attachments
Caprice IPC.jpg
Caprice IPC.jpg (824.75 KiB) Viewed 8080 times
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Maybe check at Mouser. They might have something that would work. All these are 50ohm.

https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanica ... ?P=1z0x0em
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419