Rear Speaker Output ('14+)

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
BIG_GREEK

Rear Speaker Output ('14+)

Post by BIG_GREEK »

A while back, I installed a second set of rear speakers in my Caprice. Awesome, I have "surround sound" in the car now. The speakers I initially installed were cheapie Rockford Punch series 6 1/2"s. Their output was purely noise, no bass, all treble. I then upgraded to a tried and true set of MTX Terminator 6 1/2s. Same thing, a little better sound, but still almost no bass.

Is there a setting/change inside or re-coding of the radio that needs to be done for better rear sound output from factory radio outputs? Chris White?
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
s/c'd cav

Re: Rear Speaker Output ('14+)

Post by s/c'd cav »

have you checked to make sure the positive and neg wires are on the correct ones ? if you mixed the wires on one speaker the bass will drop out , easiest way to tell is switch the balance left or right , and if the bass picks up then one speaker is wired opposite of the other , also check that you are running the recommended ohm rated speakers

other wise adding a sub and amp is the best way to get more bass , or add something under the rear deck to make up a box for the rear deck speakers
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

s/c'd cav wrote:have you checked to make sure the positive and neg wires are on the correct ones ? if you mixed the wires on one speaker the bass will drop out , easiest way to tell is switch the balance left or right , and if the bass picks up then one speaker is wired opposite of the other , also check that you are running the recommended ohm rated speakers

other wise adding a sub and amp is the best way to get more bass , or add something under the rear deck to make up a box for the rear deck speakers
When I originally installed the rear speakers I think I looked up the polarity on the factory speaker and spliced from there. I cant recall, that didnt cross my mind to reverse what I have. Both are wired the same and they have different pin/connectors for positive and negative. I figured that I had a cheapie speaker ($30/set) and that was the issue.

And at this point, I dont think ill be running deck speakers.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

BIG_GREEK wrote:
s/c'd cav wrote:have you checked to make sure the positive and neg wires are on the correct ones ? if you mixed the wires on one speaker the bass will drop out , easiest way to tell is switch the balance left or right , and if the bass picks up then one speaker is wired opposite of the other , also check that you are running the recommended ohm rated speakers

When I originally installed the rear speakers I think I looked up the polarity on the factory speaker and spliced from there. I cant recall, that didnt cross my mind to reverse what I have. Both are wired the same and they have different pin/connectors for positive and negative. I figured that I had a cheapie speaker ($30/set) and that was the issue.

And at this point, I dont think ill be running deck speakers.
It is quite possible what he said above, however you said you purchased Rockford Fosgate punch series speakers, but then said they were a $30 set. That would be their prime series. I swear by Rockford (just as much as I swear by MSD, KN and Royal Purple) but punch is a must have (normally 60 bucks for a pair). The ohm rating could also be an issue, or you could also benefit from running a thicker gauge speaker wire. I have installed plenty of Rockford Speakers in my day, and I have never been disappointed and neither have my friends. I also use gold plated female connectors as well. In my 03 Silverado I cut like 6 inches of wire off and spliced 14 gauge in to let them get more power (at least at the end of the wire). My truck has 6.75 punch Rockfords with 1 inch tweeters, 4x6's in the suicide doors, and a 1000 watt 2 channel amp with two Rockford Fosgate Punch P2 12" woofers. Cleanest and clearest system I have ever heard. I will be installing rears in my 13 Caprice and I will let you know if I have any issues (once Chris White fixes my radio the dealership bricked).
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

for my 14 , ill be putting in rear deck speakers , unless i happen to pick up some holden caprice door panels with the factory speaker grills , im not paying 700ish per door panel for new ones

the SS sedan speaker grills for the rear deck were about 30.00 each , then have to cut the rear package tray for the holes and screw them in , the do fit the groove in the package tray , then figure out what to do for mounting , i also plan to run a amp and sub in the trunk
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

s/c'd cav wrote:for my 14 , ill be putting in rear deck speakers , unless i happen to pick up some holden caprice door panels with the factory speaker grills , im not paying 700ish per door panel for new ones

the SS sedan speaker grills for the rear deck were about 30.00 each , then have to cut the rear package tray for the holes and screw them in , the do fit the groove in the package tray , then figure out what to do for mounting , i also plan to run a amp and sub in the trunk
I am sold on Rockford.

Each Rockford punch speaker can be amped to 120 watts as well. If you bought an amp for the speakers.

I haven't taken the rear panels off yet, but I plan on doing that and figuring out what size speaker I can cram in there, then marking an outline on the panel itself. Drill holes in the center and finish off with a 2.5" hole saw. Then sand or exacto knife any rough edges. Install speakers to the sheet metal and the grilles to the outside of the panel. Because our speakers are suffocating behind the panels as long as you make it look good, you're increasing the value of the car.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF