Adding fog lights to the Caprice

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Adding fog lights to the Caprice

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:yeah i have no idea, i did mine a month ago and just bought 4 generic bolts and nuts at my local Lowes store.... the front parts do just snap into corresponding slots in the bumper itself and then the lights bolt onto those..... Sorry no clue but I'm still lost on how to activate them using the factory G8 switch and PPV wiring harness so what do i know....
smwalker wrote:Thanks anyway XC, Yea I be with you in a few more weeks on that wiring issue. Hopefully an elegant solution is to be had.
I don't remember what the other 4 bolts were for....!

As far as how to activate the lights, I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) the BCM plays a part, with the G8 light switch being involved in the solution, too. My own installation is controlled via a illuminated rocker switch in the panel below the light switch--almost out of view. I can run fogs with headlamps on or off, and with either high or low beams activated. The BCM solution is something for Chris White/WAMS to respond to, if he's ever worked it out for the PPV, which I'm unsure of.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

the factory G8 switch can work by simply adding an extra wire terminal into the back of caprice harness that plugs into it. This is switched ground however and will only turn the fogs on with the low beams or parking lights on. The issue i have is how to get that ground signal wire back out to the aftermarket wire harness i am using on the fogs up under the hood. It was shown already in prior pages how to use the upfitter harness under passenger side dash to do this i just want the correct connector pieces so it looks good and is secure, the way i rigged it up now is not to my satisfaction.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

xcidmigs wrote: The issue i have is how to get that ground signal wire back out to the aftermarket wire harness I am using on the fogs up under the hood. It was shown already in prior pages how to use the up-fitter harness under passenger side dash to do this i just want the correct connector pieces so it looks good and is secure, the way i rigged it up now is not to my satisfaction.
XC do you have the 6 foot harness that is is usually bundled in the passenger side foot area? As mentioned before in this thread there are 4 wires that go into the engine compartment over by the fuse box that then go to a connecter that has 4 wires that go to the front of the grille area. I think those are a perfect wire to use to either:

Use 1 wire to send a ground signal from the headlamp switch to a relay under the hood (Your situation)

or

Use 1 wire to send power to the fog lights and wire the relay up in the footwell area and get power for them from the accessory battery circuits.

Not sure how I am going to do it but that 4 wire harness for the grille area is going to be a key component in my plan. Because the wires are pretty thick gauge and they are in the perfect spot to go down and connect into the side marker connector that will now become the side marker/fog light connector.

So if you got that bundled up harness in the passenger foot well you got 6 feet of wire one of which could be (maybe) stretched over to the headlamp switch and use terminal 173681-2 ( got some of those, can send you one, still have to test fit it though) to plug into the empty headlamp switch. OR you could just use a butt connector with your scavenged pigtail you have with the correct connector on it.

Do you also have the 4 wire connector under the hood for the grille options?

Headlight Switch--------173681-2 terminal in spot #6-------1 wire to passenger foot well --------factory upfit connector in passenger footwell ----------factory upfit wire through firewall--------4 wire connector near underhood fuse box----------1 wire to negative trigger relay.

BUt this all assumes you got the two two upfit harnesses needed the one in the footwell and the one under the hood. I am sure not everyone got those as they might have been discarded when de-contenting the vehicles after service.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Yeah i have both harness and i have made the whole thing work already I just want a better factory looking connection, i used some cheap as generic spade connectors to get the lights to switch on and I don't like that especially under the hood area.
20160421_130445.jpg
20160421_130445.jpg (204.25 KiB) Viewed 15635 times
Above is the under dash connection, I'm not loving it and the same under hood. I want the 4 pin plug for under the hood at a minimum and then i can plug in the ground for the lights to that and possibly the wiring for a siren/airhorn i want to get. The one below which is flat
20160714_101759.jpg
20160714_101759.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 15634 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

xcidmigs wrote: I want the 4 pin plug for under the hood at a minimum and then i can plug in the ground for the lights to that and possibly the wiring for a siren/airhorn i want to get.
May want to get with the guy parting out that caprice in MI and see if he has it. Would be great to get it all intact with wire and everything. Here is what it looks like if you want tot send this to him for reference:

Found out a bit of info on this connector. It is a Delphi Metri-Pack Series 630 4 position Male. - Delphi Catalog

EDIT: Actually inspected this connector and found out it was not a 630 series rather a 150 series.
So the long part of the connector is the male and if you want to create your own or just add something to your existing connector here are the relevant Delphi part numbers:

12162102 150 series 4 position male connector - Black
12047581 Terminal Metri-Pack 150 Series Male Unsealed Tin Plating (factory wire 18-20 AWG)
12059894 Terminal Metri-Pack 150 Series Male Unsealed Tin Plating (smaller wire 20-22 AWG)
12047948 Secondary Terminal Lock (Back piece locks wires in place)
12020833 Connector Lock (pin for locking connectors together (Not really needed))
12052924 Wire Seal - dark red

Last edited by smwalker on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ok just to Update this thread on terminals I have now secured a supply of the following terminals

TE/AMP 173681-2 - This is the one that goes into the blank space on the headlight switch. I actually ended up getting part number 173681-1 as this was available from Mouser in smaller lots. Not sure the difference, maybe wire size it takes? (EDIT: figured it out - 2 is "selective gold" and 1 is "pre-tinned", Bit of gold on the contact areas, we can do without that). These take 18-22 AWG so that's fine for this application. Link To Info on Mouser Site

Yazaki 7114-4026 along with the rubber wire seal plug - This goes into the vehicle side connector that houses the side marker lamp wires from the factory but you can add the fog light wires to it as long as you get the fog light harness from AU Holden Part number 92238667.

These wires would then go to some sort of relay set up to get power from the fuse box. Still have to work on that for myself. Plan on offering a kit if I can make it an easy install.

Continuing to add to this so I can keep all these numbers straight:

Relay to match the cooling fan ones under the hood is Hella 007794311 RELAY 12V 20/40A SPDT RES WTHR BKT
Connector for relay is Delphi 630 series 12065686 4P FM BLK CONN ASSY 630 SERIES 46 AMPS
Terminals for connector is Delphi 630 series 12020156 (maybe not that is a Pull to seat terminal #)
Terminals are listed below this is for the unsealed versions. Although the connector has a large wire seal on the botton of it I believe the terminals are considered to be unsealed ones becase there is not a seperate seal on each wire.

Wait, this image states the relay plug is Pull to seat terminals.

So that would mean these part number would apply:

Continuing to add: If you want to build your own for light harness down to the lamps here are a few numbers:

Delphi Connector to H10 lamps - 12059183 (comes with a seal)
Delphi Connector to H10 Lamps - 12059182 (connector Body Only)
Tan Seal - 12059184

Terminals
12077411 - .5-1.00mm squared - 18-20 AWG
12077412 - 1.00-2.00 - 14-16 AWG
12077413 - 2.00 - 3.00

Cable Seal:
15324983 - red - 1.7-1.20 O.D. - 14-16 awg??
15324982 - green - 2.85-2.03 O.D. 12-10 AWG?

12059185 - secondary terminal lock (at back of connector)

Still cannot find the exact connectors that come on the AU Fog light harness mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Ones above will work, just not as nice as the Original versions.
Last edited by smwalker on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Here is some pics of how I utilized the police harness to get the ground fog light signal into the under hood area. First thing I did was remove all the wires from the extension harness except the one of the 4 that goes into the under hood area. You can pick any of the 4, does not matter they are just straight runs of wire to the under-hood connector.

I then relocated where the harness is mounted to gain a few extra inches and point it toward the headlight switch on the other end of the dash.

Here it is mounted in the factory position pointing down towards the foot well.

Here is is relocated up inside the dash zip tied to a harness holder above the blower motor with it's single wire coming out of it that will be heading over to the headlight switch.

From the plug I went up to the white plastic wire chase that is located high in the dash. I tried my best to follow that across the dash but it is definitely not easily accessible all the way across. Around the steering wheel I found I had to remove the speedometer to run the wire. There are just too many moving parts down low with the tilt wheel and what not that I did not feel good runningg it low along the dash. Speedometer is pretty easy to remove thankfully. Here is the wire following the wire chase in the back and top of the dash.

UPDATE EDIT: Bit of a change here if you want to make you life easier. At each end of our dashes (11-13 I assume) you will see the end of a circular support bar. Well that thing goes all the way through the dash to the other side. I got one of the wires from the police extension harness and gave it a try and I think it will reach to the headlight switch all the way from where the police harness is factory mounted in the dash behind the glove box. Or course sending a wire through a metal tube and having it exiting a jaged metal brace yo would want to protect the wire with some loom or something when routing it on both ends.

Here are a few pictures showing the green wire and how it could be run to the headlight switch area.
passenger side:

Driver side:

Here we go back to the original post about running the wire behind the instrument cluster. I would not do that again, use the tube!!

Then the wire chase comes down the side of the dash right behind the headlight switch. The factory wire if cut right before the plug gives you about 6 feet of wire and I did not use about 8 inches of it so a nice direct run from the headlight switch to the upfitter connector.

I then crimped on connector 173681-1 to the end of the wire and inserted into Pin 6 of the headlamp switch connector. Then zip tied the wire to the existing headlamp plug harness.
Image Image

That completed the work inside the vehicle, all the rest of it will be done under the hood. Still working on that.
Last edited by smwalker on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

In your photo of the connector under the passenger side dash, what did you use on the end of the blue wire that you inserted into that connector to secure it by itself? Thats where i used a generic spade terminal and I'm not happy with it, it falls out with driving over bumps etc.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

xcidmigs wrote:In your photo of the connector under the passenger side dash, what did you use on the end of the blue wire that you inserted into that connector to secure it by itself? Thats where i used a generic spade terminal and I'm not happy with it, it falls out with driving over bumps etc.
I just used the existing terminal that was already in the extension harness connector. When I say extension harness that is the big bundle of wires that comes in the foot well. I have a feeling you may be missing that.

But I think the extension harness has the same plug on each end so I could send you mine (other end I have no plans to use) with some leads so you could connect and jump stuff in that harness more securely. Let me confirm that they are the same type of plug.

I do want to source a supply of the terminals for that connector because it looks to be the same type of connector that the glove box light uses and I plan to mount some stuff in the glove box so using that connector would be ideal.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

smwalker wrote:
xcidmigs wrote:In your photo of the connector under the passenger side dash, what did you use on the end of the blue wire that you inserted into that connector to secure it by itself? Thats where i used a generic spade terminal and I'm not happy with it, it falls out with driving over bumps etc.
I just used the existing terminal that was already in the extension harness connector. When I say extension harness that is the big bundle of wires that comes in the foot well. I have a feeling you may be missing that.

But I think the extension harness has the same plug on each end so I could send you mine (other end I have no plans to use) with some leads so you could connect and jump stuff in that harness more securely. Let me confirm that they are the same type of plug.

I do want to source a supply of the terminals for that connector because it looks to be the same type of connector that the glove box light uses and I plan to mount some stuff in the glove box so using that connector would be ideal.

I have everything you are picturing there which is the 2 white connectors and the single blue 1 they have a coil of wiring which is tucked up into my dash and if i pulled it free looks like its several feet long probably to get you into the center console area. That red jumper I had pictured is what i was using to get 12+ with ignition back into that harness so that i could attach both the positive and negative wires for the fog light harness I'm using to that flat 4 pin connector that is also pictured above. I didn't find any easy to tap into switched 12+ under the hood just constant which is not what i want to use b/c is could be left on with car ignition off then.
I'm not sure what you are talking about sending me could you send me a photo of it? ideally I'd like to have the other side of that white plug to use and then just pull out the terminals i'm not using i'm not sure if that's what you mean?