How To: Fog Light Wiring

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
CrashTestDummy

Re: How To: Fog Light Wiring

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bringing this back up from the deep. I had some time in the shop today, and since the other project I was out there for came to an abrupt halt, I figured I'd maybe get the fog light assemblies ready to install.

I picked up the light housings P/N 94708773 and 94708774. When I had everything laid out, it looks like the light assembly is supposed to mount to the bumper support, or some sort of assembly that hangs off of it? There is no physical way to mount the light housings to the bumper cover insert. What am I missing, or am I missing anything?

I wasn't going to install them today, since the shop is across a waterlogged yard that's currently under about 2" of water. Too afraid I'd turn the car into a flower planter trying to get out there, or back. =8-0.

Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My pics are in there sir...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote: What am I missing, or am I missing anything?
Once you take off the blank bezel you shoud see two holes in the bumper cover it's self. You insert some plastic type nuts on there and the housings mount from the back of the bumper cover. If you do not see two holes behind the bezels someone may have cut off your mounting points along the way.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Awesome, Steve! That’s what I need to know. It also ties the electrical part to the physical mounting part for better reference. Maybe I’lol do this when I do the exhaust.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:33 pm <SNIP>

Then run the negative trigger wire up to the SEO Underhood Harness plug and insert terminal into the slot you are using for the headlamp switch wire. This should correspond with the color wire you used on the inside of the vehicle when you ran your wire from the headlight switch (oh wait we have not done that yet,so wait on that) But here is what it will look like when hooked up and I removed all the other wires I was not using under the hood:

Maybe Next run the wire to the Fuse box Terminal. There is a U opening in the bottom of the fuse box terminal where a huge harness is coming in, just follow that. Lift up the drivers side large plug and take the white plastic covering off the back of it:
ImageImage

In this posting I detailed there are a few fuses in our boxes that are wired up in the block but are not being used. I chose to use one of the larger posts because I ordered the wrong connectors (DOH) but one of the medium ones would be OK for the fog lights.

We are going to use spot 78 to insert our terminal. First we have to unlock the connector terminal lock. It is done by using a pick or small screwdriver to lift up the white plastic framework. Not to worry the wires wont all fall out when you lift up the locking frame, its a secondary lock. Here you can see where to lift it and what it looks like when lifted:
ImageImage

We will then insert the terminal lead into spot 78 till it clicks and lower the locking frame back down. Here is the terminal inserted into spot 78:

<SNIP>

What did I forget?
Almost nothing!! Awesome set of instructions!! Thank you so very much. I am almost done. I did hit a stumbling block, though. I think I have the right section snipped out, so I'll explain my questions about this section:

You mention a wire off the fog light relay goes to the up fitter's underhood harness (negative trigger wire). Which wire is it? It looks like I have a brown and a blue wire remaining to connect.

Same question about the wire that goes to connector slot 78, which wire is it from the two remaining? It may be mentioned elsewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

I have remaining an orange wire. I am assuming that one runs from the up fitter's connector on the passenger side footwell to the new light switch?

It looks like I don't have an up fitter's underhood harness connector. They cut the wires very short and then butt spliced some wire extensions on (!) (one extension looks to be speaker wire!) to get a bit more ahead of the master fuse box. I may try to get my Weatherpack kit out and remove those extensions, but it only leaves me with about 3" of wire coming out from the run down the passenger fender to work with. I may see if I can free up some length inside the passenger compartment, OR, just stick with those narly butt splices. Jury's still out on that one. It would make things look a bit more factory, and I could use the remaining wires to power up my new LEDs.

BTW, I purchased a set of 9005 fog lamps from Opt7, and plan to use those. We'll see how they work when we get everything back together.

The only issue I had so far was when trying to get to the passenger head lamp module bolts to remove it, I had to pull the plastic bumper cover insert ('Absorber' in GM lingo) so I could get to the inside lower bolt for the headlight module. It wasn't a big deal, 2 ea. 10mm bolts, and it unclips from the bottom of the impact bar, but it was an omitted step in the instructions.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

You mention a wire off the fog light relay goes to the up fitter's underhood harness (negative trigger wire). Which wire is it? It looks like I have a brown and a blue wire remaining to connect.

The answer to that is whatever wire you have available is the one you use. I had to write this for every situation that different people would have. The key is if you choose to connect to the brown wire under the hood you are going to look for the brown wire on the interior and connect the orange wire to that. THen that goes to the headlight switch . (make sure and do not cut off the headlight switch terminal end.) Remember those 4 wires are just straight shots into the interior area passenger footwell harness.

Same question about the wire that goes to connector slot 78, which wire is it from the two remaining? It may be mentioned elsewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

Well I used different colors for that wire so you should see the rather wide, flat terminal that's the one the goes into the fuse box. It will be about the same length as the wire going to the underhood connector if that helps any.

I have remaining an orange wire. I am assuming that one runs from the up fitter's connector on the passenger side footwell to the new light switch?

Correct

It looks like I don't have an up fitter's underhood harness connector. They cut the wires very short and then butt spliced some wire extensions on (!)

Shoot. But yea I have run into that before. I built the harness assuming all the factory connectors would be there but if they are missing just do a standard but splice or connector of your choosing. The main cost saving thing is we do not have to run a wire through the firewall for this.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thank you for the quick reply, Steve. I think the brown wire has the wide connector, so the blue one will go to what's left of the up fitter's harness. I may get this part completed this afternoon.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Hey Steve, has anyone looked at PN 92272245? This is the harness for the SS fog lamps. Can this harness be used in any fashion with the PPV? Thought you would have the most knowledge here.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Fudgehog wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am Hey Steve, has anyone looked at PN 92272245? This is the harness for the SS fog lamps. Can this harness be used in any fashion with the PPV? Thought you would have the most knowledge here.
I believe it very well could be used successfully (connectors and terminals would work with all years of the PPV). Although what is also in that harness from the SS is the parking sensor wires and maybe even the DRL Lights?. For a street price of $70 not very competitive with the ones I make for $15 or even the ones from Australia you could get when you order your bezels for like $40. Or the AFtermarket Ebay ones for like $10 bucks. But it is an option for sure.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Sounds good. I'm looking at either the ebay lights or the stock SS lights, I just was wary not having the harness if I bought stock lights. I'd be happy to buy a harness if it worked fine, but I'm also content with having the fog lights on an old fashioned toggle switch or remote. I don't wish to buy the dash switch to make it "factory".

Wiring power and ground and maybe a signal wire or relay or two sounds easier to me than tapping into the fuse box. I just don't want more work if there's an easier way.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF