Stereo Antenna Plug / Connector

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
M22muncie

Stereo Antenna Plug / Connector

Post by M22muncie »

I sent a silver box to White and he told me the antenna was broken on the stereo. He said he could fix it but did not have the part. I bought the stereo at a salvage yard where I would be able to transition it to my car when it got back instead of my car going without it while the work was being done. Has anyone else experienced this or have a solution?
mercialogo

Re: Stereo antenna

Post by mercialogo »

its a very common issue when getting these from Salvage yards. Those peeps expect the antenna to be on the back of the radio like most all other American radios, but these are on the side and very brittle. So they just yank the radio without even looking. I don't know a good fix though. Sorry.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yes Very common, although we have never sourced the parts for the fix. If you can ask Chris if he know that part number and or manufacturer, he may have already done the leg work.

It would just be a matter of finding a competent person to desolder your broken connector and solder in the new one. Many stereo shops do this kind of work and also if you happen to have an iphone repair shop near you I bet they could handle it.

This is assuming of course that the circuit board was not damaged when they ripped it out.

I would imagine it would be similar to one like this: Molex Fakra Board mount connector

But the layout of the pins could be different between manufacturers.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
M22muncie

Post by M22muncie »

Good deal.. the yard I got the stereo from is going to exchange it for me looks like. I appreciate the responses guys. Looks like there are still some of these stereos floating around that could be repaired and used. Pardon my ignorance but what is the significance of the vin with the stereo upgrade? Has anyone else sent a "core" silver box to have unlocked and simply switched them out instead of sending in their original stereo and being without while it's sent off?
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

This yard seriously must be moron central because the second one you sent has the same issue.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I have found wrecking yards do not get the pick of the litter in terms of technicians.

Chris do you happen to have any info on the antenna connector on the board? manufacturer? Part number?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

nothing, its a fakra other than that I got nothing.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Had a chance to pull apart the silver box this evening. Our factory antenna connector (2011 PPV anyway) is made by Radiall and I believe the part number is R197.160.B18 Code B (cream white)

Technical Data Sheet

Catalog

Have not found anyone selling it though. And it does not seem to be listed on Radiall's site so not sure they make it any longer.

Want to add this link to compare them later: http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/734035541_sd.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think that might be a good replacement.

EDIT:

Since the Radiall and Molex parts do not seem to be available anywhere I looked on mouser for other manufacturers. I found one called
Amphenol RF but looking at their data sheet for part number FA1-NBRP-PCB-8 they seem to sell a "through hole" design where the lead goes through the board and gets soldered. The ones in our radios seem to lay "on" the board in a pool of solder so not sure if these two styles can be adapted to work with each other.

Amphenol RF on Mouser.com

EDIT Again: This looks to be the one we need in single quantities.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fakra-Plug-Male ... SwajVUT2O-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search Ebay for : "Fakra B Plug male End PCB mount right angle"

EDIT AGAIN! Some folks have tried the Ebay one and 2 of the legs do not go into the PCB correctly. SO it's a no go.
Keeping the info up so people know what not to get.

EDIT June 2019 - DId a new search for the part and came up with a listing that uses the same Radiall part number. That seems promising. I am sure they are copies but hopefully they copied the measurements correct. Have one on the way to me will update if the feet measurements are good.

EDIT July 20, 2019 - Got my one piece and the measurements are spot on. Seem to actually be Radiall parts as the name radiall is on there in two places. In the time I ordered the first one another seller has popped up on the site offering even lower pricing. Going to try and get the best price I can and order 50 of them to keep a ready supply in the US. Will post here when I have a supply and come up with a selling price.

https://www.yoycart.com/Search?SearchTe ... =0&catId=0
Last edited by smwalker on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
M22muncie

Post by M22muncie »

Yes the people at the yard assured me they would not touch the antenna on the second stereo until I got there to remove it myself. Sure as the world they took it out before I got there and broke it as well. Not knowing what it was supposed to look like I took it home and sent it to Chris where he informed me it was the same story. FINALLY I found one that is intact and just got it sent off to him yesterday. Thanks for all the help guys!
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Has anyone found the correct plug?

Any tips on how to remove the plug from the circuit board?

I have a later 27/08/2012 pn 9226 5524 silver box with a good antenna plug but I don't know if it has all four speaker channels to correct the speaker issue in my 2013. I found another silver box with a broken antenna plug on eBay that was cheap enough to risk disassembly to try to learn about them. That one is an earlier build of 28/06/2011 pn 9226 2691.

My search skills on this forum are apparently lacking because almost every word that I try to search is too common and it disregards the search but I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of part numbers where the loss of the rear speakers likely started.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.