Speakers - Upgrades?

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
gregc

Re: Speakers - Upgrades?

Post by gregc »

I finally replaced my front speakers, I bought Polk Audio. Sounds way better than stock. I don't have rear speakers. I don't know if that's just a 9C1 thing, but when I set the fader to rear speakers, I hear nothing. I'd like to add rear speakers now, but I'm not sure if there's speaker wires in the rear doors.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

They might have been disconnected or removed... wiring should be there...
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
gregc

Post by gregc »

Tom Slick wrote:They might have been disconnected or removed... wiring should be there...
There are speakers back there with wiring. But they must've disabled them at the factory because there's no sound.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Going by memory but wasn't their an option for a rear audio delete? Can't be entertaining the prisoners.... :) Wonder if they just disconnected the wiring. If you can hook up a fox & hound setup to the wires you can see if the path is intact from the iQ unit. Might be a midpoint pull & tape job.....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Or you can just look at the Quadlock connectors for the rear speaker wires...

If they aren't there, you can add them... I have the part #'s for the contactors for those... :-)

Later!
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
BlackGT5

Post by BlackGT5 »

Tom Slick wrote:To run the center speaker, you will have to run wires, and add them to the quadlock connector...

Thanks,
Tom
A center speaker will not work with the PPV radios. The PPV silver box is missing the amplifier that is needed to power the center speaker.

gregc wrote:
Tom Slick wrote:They might have been disconnected or removed... wiring should be there...
There are speakers back there with wiring. But they must've disabled them at the factory because there's no sound.
If everything is connected right, it could be that the radio calibration is set to just have the front speakers on as is done on the Holden Utes. I would be curious to see what software version you have. You can go into Engineering mode and check(hold down TEMP EXT & Front Defrost for a few seconds).
2009.5 PBM G8 GT - CAI, Headers, Tune
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Was looking up the colors for someone else the other day and the way I am reading it I think there is an option for the fronts to be disconnected, supposedly to hook up to police equipment. BUt maybe I am reading that wrong.

I see three mentions of the speaker wiring in the RPO codes:
6J3 - Wiring Provisions – Headlamp Flasher, Grille Lamps and Speakers
UQF - Speaker System – Standard Audio
WX7 - The front speakers have been disconnected from the radio. (If they do not work at all)

Maybe the just means there is a plug in the speaker wiring somewhere outfitters could tap into to send the police radio audio through the front speakers. In every cop car my Dad ever had they always disconnected the factory radio from the speakers. No reason to have it. Cops did not need to get top 40 or the traffic report.

Here are the wiring diagrams from MOTOR:
Capspeak.JPG
Capspeak.JPG (100.19 KiB) Viewed 15629 times
Last edited by smwalker on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

This is with the wiring provision:
Capspeak2.JPG
Capspeak2.JPG (297.98 KiB) Viewed 15629 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Yes, that's exactly what the front speaker wiring is. The front speaker wiring in that case is coiled up in the passenger floor wiring harness so you can connect your own radio. The Technical Manuals in the Files section here has some good info!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (77.2 KiB) Viewed 15616 times
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
LA9C1

Post by LA9C1 »

Hi, looking to switch out the stock speakers with some aftermarkets myself.

Could someone post instructions on how to remove door panels?

Thanks!